Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Odyssey No.918

Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,407

This is a heavily edited version of an article I wrote for New Elementary (available on their Patreon site previously).

For my fifth birthday, I was given a #918 ‘one man spaceship’. The same #918 ‘one man spaceship’ pictured below, it's bitten, scratched and sun damaged… but still my original set from 1979. I recently took a pragmatic decision to “restore” the slope by removing the logo with Brasso and replacing it with a homemade sticker (it really was unusable in the state it was in).

This whole journey started as an attempt to reflect the classic moon logo by building an all red version of #918.

I ordered the parts I didn’t already own off Bricklink for ‘The Redbird’ above. I decided to go red with a few black parts - mostly because I had a lot of the missing bits in black as spares… and there aren't 3963 three-way direction jets (space rockets) in red anyway. Another rare part are the red 3940 support stands.

Since this foolishness, one #918 has led to another #918...

You think #918 is made up of mostly commodity parts, but some are fairly rare if you stray away into "all the colours" territory.

A modest 81 parts, according to Bricklink’s inventory. "This is doable!" I thought "...and anyway, we're down the rabbit hole now."

My first considerations were wings and slopes.

“Don’t Chrome crying to me that this isn’t a full ring!”

The 4x8 wedge/wing with 1x1 notch/cutout otherwise known as 3933 & 3934 (the original classic space wings) are available in 16 colours.

Let’s forget the chrome wings that came in the #10026 ‘UCS’ Naboo Starfighter from 2000. The price per wing is enough reason! I could buy reasonably priced custom items from one of the reliable chroming boutiques, but then where would it end?!

...I see a red car slope and I want it painted black...

The 3939 3x6 slope, comes in 8 solid colours and 6 translucent ones.

The reintroduced 6x3 slope 58181 doesn't actually help all that much. The exception being its appearance in dark bluish grey… which is a pretty rare piece as a ‘parted out’ component, it only appears #75144 UCS Snowspeeder.

I had most of the parts for a black one but I couldn’t decide whether I wanted a regular Classic Space black or a Blacktron variant.

An extra Blacktron #918 however, would mean that I would (just) need another pair of black wings and a few yellow parts. You can see where this is going can't you?

3963 direction jets (loudspeakers) are only officially available in 8 colours and they are not plentiful in yellow.

The yellow 3943b 4x4x2 cone was only available in four sets and is also pretty scarce.

For a few reasons I wouldn’t want to justify to my wife, I ordered enough of these parts that made a yellow version possible.

Brackets 3956 comes in 12 colours and doesn’t exist in yellow, but I worked out what I think is a neat enough alternative using the new 41682 2x2 bracket in yellow and 32028 1x2 modified door rail plate.

I used the bracket solution for another ship too. There is a dark bluish grey 3956, but it only came as an 'alternate' part in #8100.

Stealth mode ON!

I knew blue was going to be fairly easy, and I had almost everything as spare. The model is missing just one final 3940b blue support stand.

Other variants that were fairly easy were White and Light Grey.

My Dark Red #918 needs the 3956 bracket, but it doesn’t exist and currently at least I can’t use my 41682 “fix” either.

Dark Grey needs the front forks/guns (otherwise known as 3839a or 3839b). It could really do with the doors too, but the chances of there ever being original dark grey doors are virtually non-existent!

I also had enough parts to create a few extra additions to my fleet. I already had a good supply of Light Bluish Grey wings so a Neo Classic version happened and a Redbird variant too.

Another fun one is the multicoloured ship that has evolved out of the spare parts.

The brown wings and sand green 3939 slope kind of fell together… alternate parts are available but without the red crest, this ship just doesn’t earn its nickname!

I'm also still working on sand blue, dark orange, orange and dark blue versions.

Collectively (as you can no doubt see) there are still quite a few parts to locate in order to complete the fleet.

As with many of these endeavours, you discover how crazy prices can be, for example, the 6x3 slope 3939 in black was only available in one promotional set (#2998 for Stena Ferries) and will set you back £16 each, minimum, on Bricklink (at time of writing).

Amazingly, there are only 5 colours of the 3479 tail wing support, so decisions had be made as there isn't really a modern alternative.

The only real disappointment for me was the absence of green wings. So to make more of a rainbow I clad some spare yellow wings…

...and here is my rainbow, well sort of ;-)

milamberstlux560HeliportBumblepantsoldtodd33Fizyxbandit778madforLEGOMextenKungFuKennyIstokgandheM_BosspxchrisSwitchfoot55hewmanTheOriginalSimonBMaffyDBrainsluggedvanvonfullSpeedman29JudgeChuckdatsunrobbieAstrobrickseggshenBrickfan50flightriskBobflipsid3windromniumbpk2300TechnicNickeMJeeNLReesesPiecesHemelNateMN2020PeteMjason1976LegoAddictCyberdragonsnowhitiebrickventures

Comments

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,279
    Awesome! Your solution to the Bracket 3956 is ingenious. I want to build a Dark Orange version of #70224, but there are a lot of parts that don't exist in that color. (Or I don't have them, and can't afford to Bricklink them right now.) But I do have a couple hundred Dark Orange 1x2 tiles from PAB. I've also done #70003 as a Bald Eagle, Northern Cardinal, and Blue Jay... but didn't take any pictures! (facepalm repeatedly) (yeah, I like Chima!)
    KungFuKennyMr_Cross
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,255
    Very impressive!!!   I love it... 

I once was going to make a European version of the 396 Thatcher Perkins hobby set...  European in that it didn't have a "cow catcher" up front, and use different colors (green and orange).  I always wondered about the 390-398 Hobby sets... and what the 397 would have been, had TLG ever released it.  So my EU version of the 396 set was going to be numbered 397, using a historic German train line called the "Werra Bahn"... which followed the Werra River valley thru the German state of Thuringia, and on into Bavaria.  It was going to be called "Werra-Coburg"... which was one of the end station names, and Coburg was the German town I was born in before coming to the USA when I was 5.

Werra-Coburg 397 hasn't been built yet... but I want it as a bookend type companion to my 396 Thatcher Perkins....

Mr_Cross560HeliportFizyxdatsunrobbiemadforLEGOsnowhitie
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,407
    Istokg said:
    Werra-Coburg 397 hasn't been built yet... but I want it as a bookend type companion to my 396 Thatcher Perkins....

It looks like a great model and you've got it properly planned (wish I'd planned better!). Most of those parts should be readily available, or are there some not in production any longer? Probably the yellow windows will be the toughest part to get in good condition.
    I've been looking at the Thatcher Perkins both as LEGO and in real life pictures. In my search I found a pretty nice looking one using more modern parts in an ideas project:
    https://ideas.lego.com/projects/21e20aaf-8395-42f3-9c51-bf4a70570619
    Obviously doesn't have quite the nostalgic charm of the #396, I think that is what often drives these projects. Recapturing parts of our youth?

560HeliportmadforLEGO
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,559
    I think the hard part for your train are the arches, they've never been made in orange. 
    Orange arches!
    @Istokg would either of these be palatable alternatives?
    3307 (it's tricky to find as it was only available in "2" Belville sets in 2003 - only two stores in the US have enough).

or 62361 (much more plentiful).

I suspect those would both interfere with the look... 
    Sadly, 3455 looks like it was replaced entirely by 2011 with 92950 and that's not currently available in orange :-(
    If you were to try 62361, as an interim measure, mounting with the wheel arches facing inwards would probably look better and closer to the #396.

Istokg
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,901
    They are great. 918 was a set that I never had as a child, I went hunting for one at the start of lockdown, but kept getting beaten on Ebay. Its on the back burner now for a while. The bright red version is probably my favourite 
    Mr_CrossKungFuKenny
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,372
    Absolutely phenomenal work @Mr_Cross! If I could like this more than once, I would! :-)
    KungFuKennyMr_Cross
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 583
    All of those look amazing! 
    Mr_Cross
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 831
    I can't believe I've only just seen this thread. Possibly the best I've seen on here! Fabulous work, @Mr_Cross !!!
    KungFuKennyMr_Cross
    Ah, for some reason, it looks like this post has been sitting in my "drafts".
    The bright red version is probably my favourite 
    Me too, probably.

Absolutely phenomenal work Mr_Cross! If I could like this more than once, I would! :-)
    eggshen said:
    All of those look amazing! 
    omnium said:
    I can't believe I've only just seen this thread. Possibly the best I've seen on here! Fabulous work, Mr_Cross !!!
    You're all too kind, thank you!
  • LegoAddictLegoAddict NW of ChicagoMember Posts: 31
    This is such a fun exercise.  One those, I wonder what this would like in color "x" and here you've shown them in all the various vivid colors!  Bravo!
    Mr_Cross