Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Request advice on selling Bionicle collection

technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
edited January 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hello all, I was wondering how much I should ask for my BIONICLE collection. It weighs 21 lbs, and has a mixture of parts and sets from 2004-2009. I really spent alot on this, and want a good amount of cash for it.
Providead are some pics.
I really aren't into BIONICLE anymore, but I atleast want over $300 for this bunch of used parts. Is this a fair price? Or should t be higher/lower, depending on the market these days? If any of you are interested, let me know, we could work something out.

Moved to Buying/Selling by YC 1/30/12

Comments

• OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    If I were you I'd simply eBay it as a bulk lot with a low minimum bid and no reserve, and let fate decide how much it's worth. Advertise it as the 21 lbs. you mentioned, and if possible try to mention some key sets that you know there are pieces to. Put up several pictures to capture as many pieces as possible.

I'm a big fan of "time = money" and this is a way to list it efficiently, and have someone take it off your hands in one shot.

I honestly don't know if you'll get your $300 that you want, as Bionicle does not seem to be very popular with AFOLs. But who knows.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,175
    Do you have 8623, 8893, 8757? Those sets are actually worth something. I would take them off your hands. ;-)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    This is just my opinion...

That picture does not show any "love" or "care" for the sets... If you took the time to lay them out, or put them all together and set them up, you'd get more money for them...

Do you have the boxes?
    Do you have the instructions?
    What are the set numbers?
    Are they 100% complete?

These are key questions that your 21lb bucket doesn't answer...

Lego seems to go for around $10/lb on eBay, most of the time, plus or minus a bit... The odds of you getting $15/lb for Bionicle? Unlikely, but anything can happen.

You are MUCH more likely to get it, if you do what I suggest above, lay it out, build them, name the sets, show instructions/boxes, etc.

Otherwise, it is a 21lb bucket of not-very-popular parts to adults, who are the likely audience for such a collection.

Would I buy it? Sure, for about $150 delivered, if you have a stack of instruction books to go with them, because figuring it all out would give my kids lots of fun on the cheap.

I'd consider $300 delivered, if you do what I suggest above, but then it would depend on what you have.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Yea personally I wouldn't take it if you GAVE it to me. Thus illustrating the point that AFOL's aren't really into bionicle, and as mentioned, they are the ones who have enough funds to fork over what your asking. Definitely go with what has been mentioned. Boxes, instructions, name which are complete, and which are missing a few pieces.

I don't have too much ebay experience, but as a buyer I like to see cheap shipping. When someone advertises an auction for a cheap price and the set is worth double what their asking, but then asks a RIDICULOUS amount for shipping, I get irritated and don't even bother. Personally, if I get a sense the buyer is trying to tax me extra on shipping (an acceptable addition is ok for shipping supplies of course) I avoid that auction on principal. So try to offer a cheap shipping method, that's just my opinion however.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    agree with lft and yys4u...
    I see a picture like that, I just pass it....

you have to tae good pictures, key words in the title, and you will find interest!
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Bionicle and Hero Factory sets are meant to create and display properly. And they sell! I might be interested in some sets too @technicaltactics. Do keep us posted :)
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    And I don't think Bionicle goes for anywhere close to $10/lb on eBay. You'd get closer to $5/lb if you just put that photo up, so maybe somewhere around $100-$120 shipped. You'll need to do some work if you want anywhere close to $300, and you'll need to have at least one or two of the most sought after sets included.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    Great advice @Legofantexas. I have about 30lbs of Bionicle as well and I've been stumped as to what to do with them.

Hey! Are your kids too busy to sort through some bionicle?? ;)
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I got a half LEGO and half Bionicle 40 lb lot for $150 awhile back and sorting the bionicle parts was a nightmare. I only completed about 4 and im stuck with 18lbs of assorted parts that have no real other use. So if you want decent return, sort them out and show what you actually have there.
    @littletoki - :) Shame you're not closer, they could come over and work for Lego... ;)

The trick is not making them think it is work, rather the "fun" of putting all the sets together.

Do you have manuals? Is it reasonably complete? I would not mind a project for the kids...
  • technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
    Coolsplash, if you ARE interested, I must warn you that I have no manuals, that seems to be a let-down for most.

LegoFanTexas, I'll take your advice and sort this out, take some pics, and repost.
    edited January 2012
    Don't mean to horn in on your action, @technicaltactics. This was just some great advice regarding Bionicle.

@Legofantexas. No manuals, unfortunately. This was a bulk purchase of over 200 lbs of LEGO and 30 lbs of it was Bionicle. I have yet to really dive into it and see what I have but if the LEGO sets were any indication (ie complete Jabba's Sail Barge with minifigures), then I'm pretty sure the Bionicles are in the same state.

This is just a tiny sampling, but so far, I can see that we have:

8757 Visorak Battle Ram (I think that's the one that @vwong cited)
    8758 Tower of Toa
    8769 Visorak's Gate

They all come with the little Bionicle minis - ie Toa Hordika Nuju. Sorry, this is all new to me. I have no idea what I'm saying. I'm probably swearing at you in some foreign language right now.
    @littletoki - ha, that is funny, now don't say such things when I have a cup of coffee, that is dangerous... ;)

I know nothing about Bionicle either, other than AFOLs don't seem to like it. I have read that at one time it was a very good seller for Lego, and I suspect that Hero Factory which replaced it is doing just fine as well, but Ninjago might be replacing that spot for all I know.

Wish you were closer, it would be fun to let the kids figure it all out. :)
    @LegofanTexas. Who knew that Bionicles were so hazardous?

"See this groinal (awesome word) burn from hot coffee? Bionicle."
    Bionicle used to have a big fan base yes, but its replaced with Hero Factory but even those are loosing fans now. Over here I know some kids who love Bionicle/Hero Factory and I might be able to make them happy.

@technicaltactics, no issue for the manuals, if the sets are complete the manuals can be arranged either in pdf or from Bricklink.

Nice 8757 !!! The reason that is worth something is not the set itself, but the fact it contains 3 dark blue arches worth $15-20/ea ($60 total) that is key towards piecing together a couple of Modulars that AFOLs want to build, but can't afford.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3308&colorID=63

The rest of the set is probably worth $10....

Before selling the pile 20+ lb pile, take out the important 1 oz.

• OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    ^ wow, nice info @vwong19! Thanks for the heads-up there.
    I wish I could download what's in your brain, @vwong19.
    I know this simply from experience after spending a couple months last year piecing together my Market Street. Guess what was the hardest part to find.... If you have any aspirations at putting together your own or another, you have a great starting point!

I don't know what the appeal is with Bionicles, but my 3 year old really digs them. He also likes transformers....
    ^ I am actually going to attempt that. I have long debated on what to do about Market Street. I didn't like it when it first came out and passed it by and now I'm kicking myself.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    One of those sets also contains some of the dark red slopes from Cafe Corner (12 i think). Lego is evil sometimes!
    Wow @vwong19, I might have a 2 dozen of these with me already. But not sure if they are the correct bricks as I have a lot of bricks from the 1980s collection. Not the same thing right?
    According to Bricklink the only sets the dark blue 1x8x2 arch comes in are 2 modulars and 2 bionicle sets. Other colors are more readily available for people who want to make custom modulars with a different Colorado scheme.
  • GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    edited February 2012
    To be honest you might be better with using BrickLink, but its not particularly a popular thing with adults, but if you think about the children who grew up with Bionicle in the 2000's, when they come put of there dark ages(around 10-20 years) what they may want the most is to buy their old Lego. So it could become a collectors items down the future.
    But since you do not have complete sets I think BrickLink may be best for you or you could buy the missing pieces and sell it as a complete set.
  • thecleatorthecleator Member Posts: 70
    I have been watching ebay for months trying get one those 8757 super cheap for my cafe corner project
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Douse them in gasoline as that will increase the value.