Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO House virtual Live Tours

Comments

• FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 594
    edited June 3
    ^ It was already on the main site home page! Sorry... didn’t check. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,725
    Did anyone do the first one? I've sat for 15 minutes now with constant disconnect / reload and a spinning circle. Everything else on the internet is working fine for me.

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 561
    I'm still watching, it's working fine for me (and lots of other people who are asking questions etc.)
  • Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 66
    Worked (is working) fine for me.  Depending on browser config that might cause problems I'd guess, might it be related to plugins for Ad Blocking or Script limiting?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766
    edited June 11
    Currently watching the 1pm session.  Working fine for me also.  It is reasonable quality, only they do need a more fluid camera mount.
    I finally got in. Luckily you can start from the beginning, so I'm live plus 30 minutes.
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 286
    Yes it worked really well.... for me the only strange thing was lots of people asking questions who didn't get they were covering the period "pre brick" here, so lots of questions about colour variation on current bricks, potential new products etc... can't blame them as maybe the passion of "we can ask someone at Lego....." took over
    The_Rancor
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,766
    So not to get disturbed.....   

CCCThe_Rancordavetheoxygenman
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,117
    edited June 11
    I was just there for the full session at 1pm UK time. Very informative particularly in the Q&A session in the last third. But yes people asking inane questions and also asking questions that had already been answered during the talk were a little annoying.

I was watching on iPad and had connection issues initially. A word of warning to anyone else doing this - you have to download the Microsoft Teams app first. What they say re: not needing any special software isn’t strictly true.

I’m familiar with most things but didn’t know Lego’s first product was a yo-yo for example. I asked the question of whether there was an overlap of plastic and wood production and what was the last wooden toy but that one wasn’t picked out. Did any Bricksetters ask one of the questions that were?

There’s obviously a small undercurrent of people regarding Lego bricks as a rip off of Kiddikraft - I think Lego would prefer ‘inspired by’ but they didn’t acknowledge it very much.
    Yeah, it is good they have a separate question moderator so the presenter does not have to sift through all the completely unrelated and already covered questions.
    Ah, you mean the 20+ questions asking what wood he used after he's said Beech.

@The_Rancor yes there was an overlap, plastic was a sideline for a while and they continues to make wooden toys, it wasn't until a few years later when plastic was massively outselling wood and easier to made volumes that they stopped wood.

They do/did have information on display inside ideas House (the private collection/museum inside Ole's house) that acknowledges the role of Kiddikraft but they reached a settlement in 1981 and from then down played the role...but as of when there last year there was still a document there about it and on that tour the guide specifically mentioned it as inspiration. I'll see if I photographed it.
    Thanks, I can remember the very brief reference to Kiddikraft in the Lego Ideas House on my inside tour but my memory of the plastic vs wood overlap was a little hazy. They might cover it in more detail in talk 2 anyway.
    Found the pic... here it is. It's a high level nod to "inspiration".

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,318
    @The_Rancor Wooden toys were produced until 1960, when yet another fire completely destroyed the inventory of wooden toys. As plastic toys were outselling wooden ones by this time, production of wooden toys was discontinued.

As the 2nd session on June 25 is called "Consolidating plastic, 1947 – 1961", I'm confident Kristian will cover this 🙂

560HeliportThe_Rancor
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,462
    ......A word of warning to anyone else doing this - you have to download the Microsoft Teams app first. What they say re: not needing any special software isn’t strictly true.
    I joined the 9 a.m. session via the web - there was no need to install Teams.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,667
    I was on the 2pm and I thought it was very informative too. I had it on in the background while building.

No need to install Teams here, either...
    I already had Teams installed, but there was an option for watching over the browser too.

In typical Microsoft style, they didn’t make it clear at all when I tapped on the link that you could watch it on the browser on iPad, but it shouldn’t be a problem for me next time anyway as I have the app now. Maybe it was just weird because I was essentially using a mobile device and they love to remind you that ‘you should be using the app!’ when you access something on a browser instead.

I don’t think I actually missed anything at the beginning so all is well :)
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 841
    Very sadly the timing just doesn't work out for me here on the West coast of the United States. I am really hoping that there will be some sort of a video available at a later date.
    I missed loads at the beginning but you can just scroll back and watch in your own time. I was about 30 minutes behind everyone else, but it kept playing fine all the way to the end. Worth bearing in mind if you are going to miss the start time. Obviously it is no good if you want to ask live questions, but fine for catch-up.

• pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 841
    Well, I went ahead and signed up for the other sessions - maybe I'll be able to watch them a bit later in the day...
    I just tried to log in to the event again but was not able to. So it appears that there is a time window within which you must watch it.

• Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 302
    edited June 12
    Did anyone record these? The times were a little inconvenient for us US dwellers. :(

(Which is understandable, I'd just hoped they'd be uploaded afterwards for all to see)
    ^ I feel for you there, the second time should’ve been later in the afternoon or evening European time so West Coast dwellers could have a chance to watch it at, say 8am local time.

I reckon if enough people are vocal enough to TLG they might consider whether they’re able to record and host post-tour because Teams will record and save a meeting if you’re the host. Although on the other hand they didn’t have to do the tours at all in the first place so I guess the times are more convenient for them as they’re offering to do them.

On the next one I might try and log any interesting answers to the Q&A. Most of the regular tour subjects AFOLs will probably know but it can spur on some interesting questions in the second half.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,859
    I've registered for the remaining tours, but as they start at 5:30AM my time, we'll see what happens. 

I'll certainly pass along my feedback to see if something else can be made available or at least the recordings. 
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 129
    When I saw the times on the registration page I knew they wouldn't work for me.  I hope they make a recording available online like they done with the special Building events the designers have been doing.  I doubt I will ever get the chance to actually visit the Lego House to take a tour.
    Did anyone record these? The times were a little inconvenient for us US dwellers. :(

(Which is understandable, I'd just hoped they'd be uploaded afterwards for all to see)
    I had a quick look, but there is no way of recording them through Microsoft Teams. I guess you could use a browser recorder or even a screen capture recorder to record them, but I imagine if LEGO wants them recorded and released, then they will do that.
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 561
    Most software like Teams wouldn't permit a screen recorder to capture their video, there are issues around consent etc. 
    drdavewatford
    The third one was good, but I wish they had a camera that could zoom in on what he was discussing. Especially for things like the minifigure prototypes, it would be great to see them close up. I know you can search for pics on the internet but seeing them up close as part of the tour would be great.
    drdavewatford
    LEGO's handling of personal data doesn't seem very good, they have just sent a google calendar invite email with some attendees email addresses in the "where" section. So these email addresses are released to everyone in attendance, and also added to people's calendars in the location slot.

So I know a certain admin here is signed up for the 9am slot, for example, along with his email address. Not the biggest data breach ever, but still, you'd think LEGO would handle personal data better.