Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Most unusual / expensive non-lego item found in a mixed Lego lot

Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 357
edited April 2011 in Collecting
I bought a 5Kg lot last year at a garage sale for £20.00. When I got it home and sorted through it I found two Matchbox motorbike and sidecars which I sold on ebay for £25.00. Free Lego and £5 profit not bad.

Comments

• PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    After sorting through a massive pile of LEGO pieces that I got (for free!) from a friend, I realized there were parts for two Mega Blok warships in the tub, as well as instructions and around 300 other stray Mega Bloks. I spent nearly a week repairing the ships while I watched the 2010 Winter Olympics. One of the ships was a destroyer, and the other was a USS Kittyhawk aircraft carrier set. Despite myself, I actully rather liked the Kittyhawk set; it was nearly 2 feet long, had 1,400 pieces, and looked good as a display model. However, I hated having it around my LEGO collection, so I decided to sell it. I tried listing it on Craigslist and then eBay, but no one wanted it. A few months later, I sold the Mega Bloks to a wheel-chair enabled kid in my homeschool group. I only got $25 for the whole lot, but when I saw that kid's face light up at the sight of all those pieces, those exhausting days spent re-building the sets seemed totally worth it :)
  • Coder_XCoder_X Member Posts: 29
    @PaulTR Hilarious how you say no one wanted a 1400 pieces Mega Bloks set! If it was Lego it would be a totally different story... :-)
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2011
    @PaulTR Hilarious how you say no one wanted a 1400 pieces Mega Bloks set! If it was Lego it would be a totally different story... :-)
    Ain't that the truth! I was trying to sell those Mega Bloks for over a month, and at an insanely reduced price; by my own estimation, the Kittyhawk set was worth an easy $50 alone. Isn't it great to own something that is functional AND doesn't go down in value? ;)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,089
    edited May 2011
    I bought a 5Kg lot last year at a garage sale for £20.00. When I got it home and sorted through it I found two Matchbox motorbike and sidecars which I sold on ebay for £25.00. Free Lego and £5 profit not bad.
    NICE, The most I have gotten is some change....