How to use Barnes & Noble Coupons

CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
edited January 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Just received an email from Barnes & Noble with a 15% off coupon. When I tried to use it, its not working. Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    Usually they don't work on Lego if you use them on-line. Lego say not eligable for coupons when you click on a set. :-(
  • bor2112bor2112 Member Posts: 289
    Have you registered for Kid's Club? Usually the welcome coupon that is sent is valid on LEGO, but that is the only one.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Coolsplash try using Code: L8W8P9L for 20% off valid Jan 26 - 29. Good Luck!
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @BrickDancer, not working :( Gives me the following errors:

Your order does not qualify for coupon L8W8P9L. Please check the eligibility requirements for this coupon.

Am I doing something wrong???

• LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    Have you signed up for membership? I tried it as well earlier and got the same message, so I signed up for $25 and then could use the 20% off code (for only one item). I hope to recuperate the costs soon enough.
    Hmmm I just might signup. And I just started to buy from B&N a month back but only bought some Mindstorms books and 2 LEGO Idea books. But I have already received a 10% off, 15% off coupon to use but can't. Do you think becoming a member will help?
    I think it will but cannot confirm if the vouchers are for members only. It sucks that I can't use the free shipping bonus that comes with membership due to being outside the US, but I only need to save $12 more to recoup the membership price.
    @Coolsplash yes you must be a B&N Member to use the coupon. Being a member gives you 10% off all the time on anything. They apply 10% member discount first, then 20% off with the coupon, in that order.

I used it yesterday in-store to pick up a 2nd Architecture Whitehouse, went from $50 down to $36. So that was a 28% discount off of RRP.
    @Brickdancer how do you apply the 10% member discount? I only received the 20% off one item. I would have thought is should automatically calculate the 10% discount since it allowed me to apply the 20% code, therefore indicating the system knew I was a member.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    First, in store purchases are different than online purchases. Many stores allow you to purchase Lego with the coupon, but online often specifically states coupons/discounts are NOT usable.

I do have two accounts (long story, but due to a screw-up on their part on my kids club membership), and I received the 15% coupon for my email where I am not a member and 20% for the email where I am a member.

Some coupons do allow you to tack on the additional 10% member bonus, but I have also seen coupons that do not.

Tammy
  • forumreaderforumreader Member Posts: 97
    You can generally get them to add on the member 10% in store if they forget or the register doesn't take it. They've gotten a lot more strict over what qualifies for the extra member discount online, though. Lego usually isn't eligible.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    Yup. I had that problem over Christmas until someone mentioned it. You don't get 10% off online. Lame. You do get free shipping, though. Directly from their website...
    ( http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Membership-FAQ-Questions/379002832/ )

This is what you get with membership, and note how you you do not get 10% online.
    At BN.com

* Unlimited Free Express Shipping*
    o No minimum Purchase
    o Delivery in 1-3 business days.

In Stores

* 40% off the list price of the current hardcover Barnes & Noble Store Bestsellers. Applies to the 10 fiction hardcover bestsellers and 10 non-fiction hardcover bestsellers based on sales at Barnes & Noble Stores.
    * 10% off the Barnes & Noble sale price of other eligible items. Includes adult hardcover books, already discounted items, Bargain books, music, movies, Café and almost everything else.
    @BrickDancer, just applied for membership as the details looked quite attractive. And I can see the new items in stock now (just they did not add the images yet). So now waiting to get my membership code and will then use the discount and the coupon. Thanks a lot for this.
    @Coolsplash refer to tammy's post above. B&N Online is very picky when it comes to qualifying coupons for Lego. But I wasn't aware the 10% Member discount is only in-store, as I haven't made any online purchases from B&N before.
  • dsdg88dsdg88 Member Posts: 133
    @sidersdd : thanks for the tip on the super hero sets at B&N (in the Minifig thread).
    I was too late for the Batcave, but I did snag three others on my wanted list.

Two other 15% off coupons: A8F7K7X and B4M4L9U courtesy of TnB forum.
    And just added a Destiny's Bounty. 10% off sale + 15% coupon + 10% ShopDiscover = 31% off.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    U7K4X3B also gets you 20% off.

There should be 4 codes you can use now (I believe they're once per day). 2 for 15% and 2 for 20%.
    Does anyone know why they list so many sets that should be EOL or at least very hard to find? It allows you to 'add to bag' but I never went as far as to check out. The one I'm talking about tend to have a higher 3rd party seller price underneath the regular B&N price.
    These coupons are once per order. I am currently trying all of the 4 just to go YAY seeing the discounts working :P

@littletoki: Thank you. I found a use for the 4th code :) .
    Too bad I didn't get to use a 20% off on the most expensive one. Oh well.

I'm going to need to come up with either more storage space
    or more holidays to use as an excuse to give my sons the sets I've been accumulating.
    @Coolsplash: I think they are one use per account.
    Just ordered the 4440 Forest Police Station set using a 20% off coupon. Total $73.54 with priority shipping to me Yay! Thanks a bunch @littletoki. And the Super Heroes sets are gone. They went out like hot cakes :P
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    I'm going to need to come up with either more storage space or more holidays to use as an excuse to give my sons the sets I've been accumulating.
    Love it! I can just see you in March....

"Wake up!! Happy Spring Solstice boys!! Time to open your presents."

Oh I have no issue with space and storage. I just need more $$$ :D