Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Need help with mr gold, urgent

Pky0405Pky0405 SwedenMember Posts: 7
edited February 25 in Collecting
i am trying to buy and wondering if this is genuine...seller said there is a number 6 inside the hat, and LEGO logo under staff, under and top of leg, side of arms, top of torso. to

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,553
    edited February 25
    @samiam391

I'd have to check the innards of the open one I have, and that'll take a few days.  But the lack of chrome paint on the staff hilt looks correct.  I am suspicious of the chrome paint lines on the bottom of the right foot.
    Pky0405Jackad7
  • AdelecAdelec UkMember Posts: 171
    I have had a look at my Mr Gold. It's still sealed in it's packet but I've had a good look. There is a 6 in the hat, I had to get a torch out to check. The marking on the legs are the other way round to yours though i'm not sure that proves anything! Has the staff (just the rod part) on the one you want to buy got a plain bit on the end. I'll put some pics up, but please note they are taken through plastic. I'm not sure I can see any markings on the arms. It's a shame the seller doesn't have the packet and paper in it saying what number out of 5000!
    Pky0405
  • Pky0405Pky0405 SwedenMember Posts: 7

I forgot to upload this...
    Jackad7andhe
    @SumoLego, @Adelec thanks so much! I have also uploaded a new pic showing the number 
    @Adelec is there only one LEGO logo on the leg??? 
  • AdelecAdelec UkMember Posts: 171
    It says Lego on the bottom of both legs, one leg is chrome and the other just gold, no chrome. If you have the leaflet with the number on it, I would think it's genuine. 
    Pky0405
    @adelec it’s a bit weird the chrome side is on different side...
    Adelec said:
    If you have the leaflet with the number on it, I would think it's genuine. 
    A good fake is a good fake for just that reason.
    andheBaby_Yoda
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,298
    Having the LEGO logo is no longer an assurance that it's actually LEGO.

Having the certificate isn't either.

Truth be told, there's no longer anyway to confirm what Mr. Gold is real and what Mr. Gold is fake. It's the unfortunate age we live in and it's never going to get better, only worse. 

It now only comes down to the reputation/feedback of the seller. 
    Pky0405Fireheart
    @samiam391 @SumoLego @Adelec guys what do you think about this picture 
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,105
    ^That's not the same feet as the first image you posted is it? The first image seems to have a bit of chrome missing on the bottom-most surface on the leg on the right - both at the top and bottom of the image. Unless it's a trick of the light.
    Jackad7
    @Brainslugged I think it’s the light
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 517
    edited February 26
    Isnt mr. Gold coated in actual gold? If so shouldn't he be able to weigh it. Like say maybe Mr Gold head/body/torso vs a regular head/body/torso?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,310
    Jackad7 said:
    Isnt mr. Gold coated in actual gold? If so shouldn't he be able to weigh it. Like say maybe Mr Gold head/body/torso vs a regular head/body/torso?
    No, they spray paint "chromed" figures. It is not real gold.

SumoLegoandheBaby_Yoda
    edited February 26
    Like I said before any person can spray chrome on to a figure. The LEGO logo really means NOTHING anymore. So that picture does not disprove or prove anything for me.

Especially, with Mr. Gold. The fakes are just as good as the authentic pieces at this point.
    SumoLego
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,135
    @samiam391 Does that mean that all Mr. Gold's are now worthless? Semi-joking question.
    andhemak0137pharmjod
    @samiam391 Does that mean that all Mr. Gold's are now worthless? Semi-joking question.
    An item is worth what someone is willing to pay.

I no longer am willing to pay much money for Mr. Gold. Other people are so he currently retains his value. 
    SumoLegodatsunrobbieBaby_YodaJudgeChuckdrdavewatford
    (Thus, it is difficult/risky to purchase Mr. Gold with the expectation that it will be a sound investment.)

Although one cannot really put a value on the self-satisfaction of possessing one (or two) of these.

Until they suddenly mass-produce these for the 25th Anniversary, and nuthin's worth nuthin'.
    izxandheJudgeChuck
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,538
    It was only worth it to me to find one. Having to buy one takes the enjoyment away from it IMO.
    LuLego
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 412
    Question is, was it purchased?
    Where did the story go?
    Is it framed?
    Where does it live?
    Does it get on with the other MFs in the house?
    I need answers! :)
    Jackad7panchox1KungFuKennyBaby_YodaSumoLegoklinton
    It's probably a bit late, but the feet appear to match the one I have out of the package.

gmonkey76
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,381
    Do you mean you have more than one of them ?
    SumoLego
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,467
    ^ Well, duh. One to open and one to keep sealed. 
    gmonkey76SumoLegoKungFuKennyJackad7
    (And one - just in case.)
    gmonkey76cguglielmiMynatt
    ^ No, not really.
    KungFuKennyMynatt
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,538
    I wonder if it looks that way due to the fact that LEGO stamps their logo there.. Maybe they tried to stamp the name after the gold plating, but it takes off the gold plating.
    Maybe if they just tried to put the logo before the plating, the plating would have obscured it somehow.
    It's the paint process. The chrome is sprayed after - those are the mount-points for the secondary paint application.

The chrome C-3POs have bad-spray-tan shadows on the sides of the torso.  (They didn't spray the arms separately.  It appears they did better with Mr. Gold.)
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,750
    And I’m pretty sure they never “stamp” the logo on plastic parts. It’s from the mold.
    SumoLego
    SumoLego said:
    ^ No, not really.
    Well, maybe a little bit.