Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

RIP Jens Nygaard Knudsen

Creator of the Lego Minifigure and Lego Space Jens Nygaard Knudsen has passed away.

Thank you Jens for all the wonderful designs and building enjoyment through the years.
Godspeed.

https://lego.fandom.com/wiki/Jens_Nygaard_Knudsen

https://speculativeidentities.com/public/assets/research/space/The-Truth-About-Space.pdf

From Mark Stafford...

"And, if you would like to do something in his memory: build a LEGO spaceship, he would have loved that. Hashtag it as #NygaardMemorialFleet and lets see what we end up with."

madforLEGOpxchris560HeliportMr_CrossandhedavetheoxygenmanJudgeChuckPyrobugMynattSumoLegovizzitorLordmoralKungFuKennydrdavewatfordthenosFireheartdspigeldatsunrobbiecatwranglerspepper

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,138
    edited February 22
    Feels like this should be front-page news, such a pillar of LEGO's history to which we all owe a great aspect of our collection to. Can you imagine lego without the iconic minifig? Is there a bricklist of the sets he designed also?
    Mr_CrossvizzitorKungFuKennyLegoDad42Pyrobugcatwrangler
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 708
    Without him.we wouldn't have had things like SW minifigures, thanks for the help.
    LegoDad42
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 576
    I've seen trickles of news regarding Jens's passing. Mark Stafford and Niels Pedersen had some really moving and amazing tributes. Jens may have had an impact on Lego about as large as the Christensen family, what with designing the minifigure and laying the design language for Space, Castle, Pirates, and so many more sets from the late 70s right up to 2000. Perhaps it was his guiding influence with the sets themselves that made them so captivating to me as a child, growing up in the early 1990s. Ice Planet, Blacktron: Future Generation, the Royal Knights, Aquazone,...these defined my early Lego collection. I wish there were more photographs or even video of this man with his creations, or in the process of making them. What a loss! But look at your Lego collections, and you will see what he gave!
    CymbelineLegoDad42andheLordmoralLusiferSamcatwranglerdrdavewatford
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 708
    Most of the time we don't know who we have to credit for pur products but when we do it turns into a different situation. Lego minifigures have gone from the regular happy no sex face to allow children to write their own stories to the upcoming The Child (Baby Yoda) in the Razorcrest set in The Mandalorian. 
    To veterans he was also credited with classic Space and Pirates. 
    I entered with LEGO on a random set my parents gifted me years ago and went throught my Dark Age (mostly due to $$$$) to the fact that I am considering to buy a $800 Millenium Falcon. A toast to the fallen.
    LegoDad42
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,798
    Earlier this week, I was building the Mustang ( #10265 great set, much recommended) and after that I relaxed a bit by building a City Space set ( #60227 the Space Station one) and after pages and pages of intricate bodywork on the car, the experience of putting together a minifig and placing him inside a little spaceship just filled me with such contentment and satisfaction it really made me smile. Jens is pretty much responsible for all that - RIP space & minifig dude.
    bandit778Gibbo1959LegoDad42