Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Thoughts on building sets from bulk

MytybizarMytybizar Kentucky, USAMember Posts: 13
I have built several sets out of my bulk pieces and bought the minifigures from bricklink. I've done this for cafe corner, market street, throne of ultron, and most recently the bat-pod. I have not bought the instructions for any of these but I am curious about members thoughts. Does this affect the value significantly to you? I know the throne of ultron does without the packaging but what about the others?

Comments

• pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,973
    I guess it depends on what you mean by value.

If you're talking re-sale value, then yes, the sets being parted together without instructions is going to effect the value.
    However, I get more of the impression that you're just approaching this from a personal value, in which case the only question becomes do things like the instructions or packaging actually matter at all to you. If the answer is no, then no, of course the "value" isn't diminished.

For me, if I'm parting a set together, the value is in part accuracy and condition. I feel like if I've gotten the parts as accurate as possible (even going down to the level of making sure parts are of the right vintage as much as possible for classic sets) and that the parts are in good condition, then I feel I have the value I need out of the set. I do like to get instructions for sets when possible, but that's not a deal-killer for me because ultimately I'm usually aiming for a long-term display. At that point, instructions are more of just a nostalgia thing because I personally enjoy them. I'm very thankful that the instructions for nearly all sets are so readily available online. I will often print them out for myself when I can. I do however wish that more of the instructions were available in a higher definition.
    madforLEGOklintondatsunrobbie
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,524
    edited February 2020
    There are numerous threads and two sides to the argument on this.
    1) Instructions do not matter as the set is the set.
    2) instructions do matter, at least if reselling because many buyers also want the instructions that came with the set (especially if the instructions are as rare, if not more so, than the set-- See set #1593 ).
    With numerous places to get them it is not hard to get a copy, but some like to have the actual instruction book with the set (I fall into this category) as it just feels more like the set and less like a set just hodge-podged together, now that may be a bit of semantics and is just my feeling as really a bricklinked set is a bricklinked set (or bought in bulk and rebuilt, etc.) 
    I think at the end of the day the 'complete' set has all the parts in it, no substitutions (meaning color or part type) from the correct period the set was made in (as parts have changed over the years). The original instructions that came with the set are icing on the cake (though some books can be pricey).
    pxchrisklintonBumblepantsdatsunrobbiegmonkey76
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,973
    Well said @madforLEGO - you echoed my thoughts exactly!
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,243
    This is exactly why the whole Lego aftermarket makes zero sense to me. I mean, a Lego build is just a collection of interchangeable bricks and parts. The dramatic shift in the community from avid builders to 'collectors' has created this inflated sense of value... for generic parts arranged in a particular fashion versus those same parts arranged in another manner. I suppose it's a bit of psychological horseplay, whereby people need to attach a monetary value to something in order to appreciate it? It all just seems counterintuitive to truly enjoying the hobby though, where people are stuck with a crippling fear of ever opening and building thier sets for fear of diminished 'value'.
    In my head, you should just enjoy the sets you've built up. Will someone pay top dollar for a set without the trappings like instructions or packaging? Probably not. Does that really matter? Absolutely not. You're not getting any more or less enjoyment out of the builds on your shelves than someone with carefully stored boxes filling up thier basement. The fact that you can skip the whole aftermarket and just build them up yourself is part of what makes Lego so appealing to being with, imho. :D
    560Heliport