Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SimonB’s Missing BendyBadger Bonus Ball 22nd February 2020

TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,523
edited February 19 in Everything else LEGO
I can’t believe it has been a year since I last hosted one of these...  For any recent forum folk the rules are simple: first 59 folk to contribute to the discussion get assigned the appropriate number of ball in the UK national lottery draw for Saturday 22nd February and whichever one pops out as the bonus ball wins some random tat something LEGO related which I will send them.  You can enter from anywhere in the world and please try to refrain from multi-posting before we have 59 entries.  Should we not reach 59 before the draw on Saturday I will deploy the random number generator to find a winner.

So, digressions on the Leaks thread had me feeling old yesterday. Then I watched the Brit awards last night and realised that not only was I really out of touch with the current music scene I really didn’t care. Today I’m off to hospital for scans on some mystery pains and on Friday I turn 49.  What’s making you realise your age these days?  And for the young people here, what aren’t you looking forward to in future years?

Off we go...
Mr_CrossLobotsid3windrandheVorpalRyuSpeedman29J0rgenJackad7snowhitieBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportvizzitorKungFuKennySirBenReesesPiecesLegopantsGibbo1959SeijiAmasawadonutboy

Comments

• historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 370
    I teach 9-11 year olds do every day is a constant reminder that I am getting older. They invent new words, talk about you tubers, games, tv etc. that I have no understanding of. And they don’t get my references or my jokes. 
    TheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossVorpalRyuBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportReesesPiecesLegopants
  • FodderFodder AustraliaMember Posts: 321
    We had a Uni Student doing work experience in our pathology lab and I ran her blood for her, I asked her age to get proper reference ranges and I realised that she was born in ‘99 I felt so old...
    TheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossVorpalRyuBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportLegopants
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,393
    The aches and pains (particularly in my knees) remind me every day.
    TheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossVorpalRyuBumblepantsbandit778panchox1560HeliportLegopants
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,315
    Having to explain what things like VHS & Floppy Disks were to my 10 year old, also, knowing I'll probably have to have these conversations at least two more times...
    TheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportLegopants
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 156
    My son found an old street directory and thought it was a complicated Maze book. He asked where the start and finish was...
    Yep, old is the word for it.
    sid3windrVorpalRyuandheTheOriginalSimonBBrainsluggedBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportLegopants
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 626
    I reminisced the other day about going to the 'pictures' and even my wife, who is older, laughed at me.
    andheTheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossVorpalRyusnowhitieBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportLegopants
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,452
    Heh. That people born after 2000 are already adults and starting their working life. I used to feel that about people born after 1990... time goes by fast!

Also, reading the leaks thread about people's old machines. My first USB stick was 128MB, I got up at 6:30 (which is hours before I normally would) to queue at ALDI, because if you weren't there at store opening, you wouldn't have one.

Also, some boasting, my 386 actually had 1.38 gigabytes of storage. And I never thought I would'nt be able to fill it, because it came pretty much pre-filled with games. :D

I'm glad my 8yo daughter knows what a cassette tape, a VHS tape, a walkman, a Sega Mega drive, and a floppy are. Probably not too many kids her age do. :D

TheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossVorpalRyuKungFuKennysnowhitieBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportLegopants
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,346
    I often get caught out when talking to a co-worker (who insists that there's not much difference in our ages) about TV shows and forgetting that I'm talking about something I was watching over 10 years ago as a teen, so he would have been under 10 at the time so has never (or only vaguely) heard of the show I'm talking about.

It's particularly odd as we have similar tastes in current film, TV and Video games and obviously some shared history in those things but I forget how old stuff like Heroes actually is now! (first aired 2006 - 14 years ago)

I tried talking music with him a couple of times...that made me feel so old that I daren't ever do it again! 
    TheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossVorpalRyuBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportandheLegopants
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 322
    On the metro yesterday I overheard a kid asking his friends if they'd heard about the band KISS, who sang «We will.. we will.. rock you!» (I'm only 26, but still...)
    TheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossVorpalRyuBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportandheLegopants
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,156
    edited February 19
    Having one of those instant ageing moments when having a conversation with someone younger than you and dropping a reference or quote from a tv show/film/song (that persons of a similer age to me would get in a heartbeat) and getting a blank stare or the look that say's "ahh, he's finally lost it". 
    Make you want to cry inside. :(

The other one is when some youngster refers to a re-released song that you remember first time round.

Thanks for hosting @TheOriginalSimonB

TheOriginalSimonBMr_CrossVorpalRyuKungFuKennysnowhitieBumblepants560HeliportandheLegopants
  • VgangVgang CyprusMember Posts: 65
    Trying talking to a teenager these days makes me feel old...
    TheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyuBumblepantsbandit778560HeliportKungFuKennygmonkey76Legopants
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,413
    There's an ABBA song called Happy New Year. There's a line in it that always gives me goosebumps when they sing something like "I wonder what we'll be doing in ten years' time.... at the end of '89". 1989 was 30 bloody years ago now and I'd have been 7 when that song was first released.

It was extra poignant this year at the end of another decade when I introduced it to my to little girls. Who both loved it. An extra layer of feeling old/melancholy was thinking that they will be 14 and 18 at the turn of the next decade and thinking how different their celebrations will be then.
    KungFuKennyMr_Crossbandit778560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBSalamalexandheLegopantsM1J0E
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 952
    The fact that my kid is a junior in high school and is taller than me (he's 6'2", I'm 5'11") and is driving is what's making me feel old.
    Also, being old is making me feel old.

Thanks for hosting @TheOriginalSimonB!
    Mr_CrossSumoLegoKungFuKennybandit778VorpalRyu560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBBumblepantsLegopants
  • im2cre8ivim2cre8iv Utah, USAMember Posts: 126
    My eyes are starting to get worse, so needing glasses makes me feel old
    KungFuKennybandit778560HeliportVorpalRyuTheOriginalSimonBBumblepantsLegopants
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,885
    When I realised things were much better when I was young, in 1994.
    KungFuKennybandit778560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyuvizzitorLegopantsGothamConstructionCo
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 517
    Whenever I switch on the TV and half recognise someone but can't place the geriatric(!), only later to realise they starred in some program I watched during the 80s when they were as young as I fool myself that I still am...
    KungFuKennybandit778560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyuvizzitorLegopantssid3windr
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 692
    I'm not looking forward to Windows's next operating system that continues to get progressively worse than windows 7... 
    KungFuKennybandit778560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyuLegopants
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,189
    Absolutely everything. Seriously, from watching childhood idols die off to seeing everyone constantly glued to their devices... I feel like a complete dinosaur pretty much all of the time.  
    KungFuKennybandit778560HeliportMr_CrossTheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyuBumblepantsLegopantsM1J0E
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,022
    It seems that I've started to cycle through all of my kids names when trying to get their attention. I always associated that with aging for whatever reason...and now it's here. 
    KungFuKennybandit778Mr_Cross560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyuBumblepantsandheLegopants
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,961
    Every time my grandmother mentions the gray hairs in my beard.
    bandit778KungFuKennyMr_Cross560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyuBumblepantsandheLegopants
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 807
    My back, my aching back.
    Mr_Cross560HeliportKungFuKennyTheOriginalSimonBbandit778VorpalRyuBumblepantsLegopants
  • MasterBeefyMasterBeefy US of AMember Posts: 121
    Mammals being the dominant class on this planet, I don't think I will ever get used to that. 
    Mr_Cross560HeliportKungFuKennyTheOriginalSimonBdatsunrobbieandheRedbullgivesuwindLegopants
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,798
    Thanks for hosting @TheOriginalSimonB

My knee making a noise when I bend, and my eyes complaining when I try to read Lego instructions on an iPad.

Oh, and my children's comments, every single day. :-)

560HeliportKungFuKennyTheOriginalSimonBbandit778Mr_CrossVorpalRyuandheLegopants
  • Captain_EyebrowCaptain_Eyebrow Test Valley, somewhere between Brickset Towers and Narnia . . . .Member Posts: 145
    What makes me feel old?  Where to start the list is long!  However its the surprising revelation that I've started sighing with satisfaction when I sit down for the first time after getting the children to bed and the house is straightened out again.
    Mr_CrossVorpalRyuTheOriginalSimonB560HeliportandheKungFuKennyLegopants
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,583
    Finding bugs in code that my customers have been running since the 80's, and then seeing the names of former co-workers from back then in the comments.
    VorpalRyuTheOriginalSimonB560HeliportKungFuKennyLegopantssid3windr
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 292
    edited February 19
    Thanks for organising this @TheOriginalSimonB, sort of. Most of these comments are making me feel even older.
    Anyway, my much younger brother and my youngest sister constantly remind me how old I'm getting. My sister always sends me depressing updates on what album is turning 25 years old (Whats the Story Morning Glory by Oasis) and what TV shows turned 30 (Simpsons).
    More disturbingly, my brother is into classic football jerseys. This somehow includes my Liverpool jerseys from 1996 to 1998 that he now wears. I was a teenager then so they fit him in his early 20's but they can't be classic. They're only about 8 years.....oh.
    VorpalRyuTheOriginalSimonB560HeliportBumblepantsKungFuKennyLegopants
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 288
    My Kenwood Chef (food mixer) I inherited my first from my mum and bought my own in 1996. When that broke (the gearbox and clutch went at the same time) I bought the one I still refer to as ‘the new Kenwood’. I’ve had it since 2005! 
    TheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyu560HeliportBumblepantsKungFuKennyLegopants
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 307
    I'm barely an adult, but I think rapid technological advancements and all that have meant that kids now have vastly different childhoods to the mine, just 5-10 years prior. My friends and I felt like we were on the cutting edge as young teenagers, and now less than a decade has passed and we're positively obsolete. 
    Crazy stuff.
    TheOriginalSimonBVorpalRyu560HeliportandheKungFuKennyLegopants
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 504
    Music from '90s-'00s is being called old school.
    560HeliportVorpalRyuTheOriginalSimonBKungFuKennyLegopants
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 594
    My pain in my leg from arthritis and CP.
    VorpalRyu560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBKungFuKennyLegopantsBumblepants
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,597
    Thanks for hosting @TheOriginalSimonB I'm starting to make noises when I bend over or get out of a chair.
    560HeliportVorpalRyuandheTheOriginalSimonBKungFuKennyLegopantsBumblepants
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 576
    My car (daily driver) is older than a couple of my coworkers (full time recent college grads).
    560HeliportVorpalRyuandheTheOriginalSimonBKungFuKennyReesesPiecesdatsunrobbieLegopantsBumblepants
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 75
    I feel old when I remember how excited I was in elementary school because George Bush was sending men back to the Moon by 2020. Here it is 2020 and the Big New Moon Rocket is still stuck at T minus Two Years and Holding ....
    VorpalRyu560HeliportTheOriginalSimonBKungFuKennyLegopants