Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Should people be allowed to create new threads in the Brickset.com articles section?

AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,831
It seems like the Brickset.com articles section is attracting a lot of random posts that belong elsewhere. Perhaps it could be locked down so only the automatic threads can be created.
560Heliportizxandhesid3windr

Comments

• izxizx USAMember Posts: 36
    Answer: No. Lock it down. Most seem to be lost souls who will especially get neglected because of where they (mis)posted.
    Astrobricksandhe
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,414
    edited February 14
    It seems like the Brickset.com articles section is attracting a lot of random posts that belong elsewhere. Perhaps it could be locked down so only the automatic threads can be created.
    Nobody should be posting in the 'Brickset.com articles' category - it's for automatic articles. Unfortunately, once someone does post in there it doesn't seem to be possible to move the post elsewhere like it is with other categories. Anyway, I've had a play with the settings and tried to lock down the category so that members can't start their own discussions in there but that the automatic posts still appear - let's see if it works....

*Update* I've now figured out how to move these misposted threads so hopefully this will be a non-issue in future. 
    gmonkey76stluxizxandheMaffyDAstrobricksRogerKirksid3windrsnowhitie
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 518
    Is it just me, or has this now made the automated posts not appear either? 🤔 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,831
    edited February 15
    I had noticed previously that the automated articles don’t seem to get created for quite a while after the original BS article is posted. I never timed the delay but I’d say it might be as much as 12 hours for some. Another thing to keep in mind is the display order of the posts gets shuffled as people add comments, which is normal of course.
    Sure, but I'm fairly sure the Lego Masters exit interview was posted after @drdavewatford made the changes above, and that's coming up on 24 hours ago. 

I also view the forum in such a way that I don't miss any unread posts in the sections I'm interested in, of which the Brickset.com Articles section is one. 
    Two automatic posts have happened today for Brickset Puzzles 3 and Here’s A Brickheadz everyone will want. Those are both newer than the exit interview. So maybe it’s only broken for some articles.
    Aha, they have now! They weren't there when I posted last… 
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,619
    I've no idea why it takes so long for some articles to appear. It's supposed to read the news RSS feed once every 30 minutes, I believe.
    benbacardiAstrobricks
    edited February 25
    Nobody should be posting in the 'Brickset.com articles' category - it's for automatic articles. Unfortunately, once someone does post in there it doesn't seem to be possible to move the post elsewhere like it is with other categories. Anyway, I've had a play with the settings and tried to lock down the category so that members can't start their own discussions in there but that the automatic posts still appear - let's see if it works....

*Update* I've now figured out how to move these misposted threads so hopefully this will be a non-issue in future. 
    I’ve just noticed a newbie post in the section again. I guess the lock down didn’t work. I also see the New Discussion button again. It was gone earlier. @drdavewatford, @Huw?
    andhe