Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Official lighting kits on display in Copenhagen

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 1,078
edited February 13 in Brickset.com articles
Official lighting kits on display in Copenhagen

The LEGO World Copenhagen event started today and Brickset user LegoFjotten has photographed a number of lighting kits that are being displayed in the shop there.

It appears that there are quite a few of them, for the three sets pictured after the break, as well as the Ford Mustang, Andrea's Pool Party and possibly others.

Price-wise, for example, the Tree House kit is 649DKK, while Hogwarts is 1449DKK.

Update: It seems that these may not actually be for sale and that LEGO is just 'testing the waters', perhaps with empty boxes. If that's the case it's odd that they are on the shelves, with prices. We'll bring you more information as it emerges...

Continue reading »

© 2020 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Source: 48887

Comments

• FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 534
    What next? Official LEGO badged plexiglass display stands?

i can see all the third party manufacturers who have been doing non official lighting kits, display stands, etc. getting very nervous..

seems LEGO is looking at cornering every bit of their market. And know that once the product is official, price doesn’t really come into the picture for AFOLS. 
    BumblepantsSwitchfoot55
  • lee1980lee1980 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 41
    I can imagine all 3rd party are like omg, wonder how similar these will be or better maybe.  I have been looking lately and there are so many suppliers to its hard to decide on a set, so I welcome Lego to make lighting sets.
    At least know lego parts used will be lego parts.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,088
    I just hope it doesn't get to the point where future set designs are compromised around fitting a light kit inside.
    klintonMynattizxstarwars4everSumoLego
  • izxizx USAMember Posts: 26
    edited February 13
    I just hope it doesn't get to the point where future set designs are compromised around fitting a light kit inside.
    This, although it could also lead to better integration with a simultaneously designed light kit. I, for one, welcome LEGO's entry into this currently Wild West-like space. If nothing else, a baseline design/standard will be set for clone/third-party manufacturers.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,203
    Unfortunately, it looks like Brickstuff lost out to their clone brand, Light My Bricks: 

https://medium.com/@brickstuff/lighting-the-lego-world-eff6e41e94d6

tomahawkerdatsunrobbiePyrobugMaffyD
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,048
    Unless the actual kits are universal, for example, a 'mustang kit' works on a beetle or your own moc vehicle, or a 'diner kit' works on a brick bank or other modular then I doubt this will be for me.
    I think there is clearly a market for these, I just want more from a lighting kit. I want it to enhance the potential of my own builds. Personally, I have no interest in something that is limited to use on/in just one set.
    BumblepantsCCCMynatt
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,374
    edited February 13
    Mr_Cross said:
    Unless the actual kits are universal, for example, a 'mustang kit' works on a beetle or your own moc vehicle, or a 'diner kit' works on a brick bank or other modular then I doubt this will be for me.
    I think there is clearly a market for these, I just want more from a lighting kit. I want it to enhance the potential of my own builds. Personally, I have no interest in something that is limited to use on/in just one set.
    I have a few of the Lightailing kits, e.g. Parisian Restaurant, Town Hall, Passenger Train. While they're undoubtedly made for those particular sets, there's no reason why at least some of the single lights and multiple light assemblies within those kits couldn't be used for MOCs.
    Mr_Cross
  • PyrobugPyrobug Louisville, KyMember Posts: 140
    It seems, according to a statement made on the LEGO Ambassador Network, that the use of the Light My Bricks kit in the Mustang at LEGO World was just a proof of concept demonstration used to gauge interest among consumers. Hopefully LEGO is actually doing some R&D to create something of their own instead of taking a third party's product and throwing it into a LEGO branded box then selling it at a mark up.

To clarify and hopefully reassure everyone here, those products are a concept test, it’s not something that will go into the market in that current state. We wanted to test if regular consumers find it appealing and used it as a conversation starter to figure out if and how consumers see lights fit as part of the LEGO experience. We spoke about quality, price, building experience, etc. From that to having an actual product in the market there’s still a long path, so it doesn’t mean there’s going to be a product out “tomorrow”. Especially on the toy safety compliance there are things that need to be in place beforehand.

We’ve also been engaging with many lead users that do lights, for finding potential pilot candidates and we had dialogues with quite a lot of them. We continue to evaluate how to best engage in a potential pilot. I want to reassure everyone here that in Lead User Lab we have the very best intentions when it comes to collaborating. We’ll try to have a close dialogue with Rob (Brickstuff) and solve any potential misunderstandings.

In the meantime, we’ll continue to evaluate the light product concept testing at LEGO World and to understand how a light kit product could be brought to market in collaboration with a lead user, since that’s what Lead User Lab is all about, finding and trying to scale outside-in ideas

snowhitiedrdavewatfordstluxMr_Crosssid3windr
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,915
    Interesting... I love seeing buildings/winter villages/any Lego stuff lit up, but until now I could say 'well it's not Lego so I'm not buying it'. If they do a good job, it will be tempting, but I would only really like it not to have wires so it doesn't impede on the playability of the thing.

Still, it's a lot of money for something that isn't bricks and since my budget has gone down a bit more, I think I'd rather spend it on bricks and keep it at that. Would be a slippery slope if I start lighting one thing, cause then I'll want more and more :)
    Mr_CrossPyrobugBumblepantsdatsunrobbieKungFuKenny
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,205
    It is interesting what is "the standard". In the 1980s, I glued the old style lamp bulbs onto 2x2 bricks and plates to light up my models. I glued LEDs onto 1x1 plates and round plates probably 15 years ago. When they became cheap, I also did it with the much smaller surface mount LEDs although they are a PITA to solder, so better to buy presoldered ones. To me the standard was set by LEGO's piece size and whatever was cheap and readily available for the light. Much of my stuff over the years was made for the railway model (or other scale model) hobby, just stuck onto LEGO parts.

Mr_CrossPyrobuggmonkey76SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,381
    edited February 15
    I won't be satisfied unless they retro-release lighting kits for every modular.
    sid3windrautolycuscoconutb
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,088
    SumoLego said:
    I won't be satisfied unless they retro-release lighting kits for every modular.
    Including Market Street.