Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ideas results to be announced this week

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 1,078
edited February 10 in Brickset.com articles
Ideas results to be announced this week

The results of the second 2019 LEGO Ideas review are going to be live-streamed on the LEGO Ideas Facebook page this Wednesday at 4pm CET / 3pm GMT / 10am EST.

Ten projects are being considered, along with Anatomini, which was carried forward from the last review:

We will of course publish the results here as soon as we know them. In the meantime, please post your predictions in the comments!

Continue reading »

© 2020 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Source: 48844

Comments

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 856
    I reeeaaalllly hope that the Winnie the Pooh set makes the cut. I've a good friend who just adores the living hell out of Pooh and his mates, and having an excuse to give her a Lego set would pretty much make my life. That one just needs to happen. :D
    vizzitorKungFuKennymustang69
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 249
    ^ I definitely agree. My sister loves Winnie the Pooh too and has a teddy of him she's kept since she was a baby and was in and out of hospital. I know I'd have to get her at least the minifigs from a set.
    Yeah, there were Duplo versions but the minifig scale ones to go with some of her other Disney figs would be brilliant.
    KungFuKennydatsunrobbie
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 549
    I want to see Thunderbirds Are Go.
    drdavewatfordklinton
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,374
    Likewise - fingers tightly crossed. While I do wonder about its immediate appeal beyond a certain age/demographic, there's so much play potential there in addition to the nostalgia factor. 
    Ian_S
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 480
    I will be extremely disappointed if they pass yet again on The Office. There’s CLEARLY a market for it!
    I will be extremely disappointed if they pass yet again on The Office. There’s CLEARLY a market for it!
    I can understand that fans might want their favourites immortalised as LEGO minifigures, but the submission looks like a pretty tedious building experience....

Still, I felt the same about Big Bang Theory and Friends so what do I know!
    BumblepantsklintontomahawkervizzitorIan_Sstarwars4everSumoLego
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 594
    The Office would be great, but I too would love to see a minifig Winnie the Pooh set. And though I realize that many people are getting a little burnt out on NASA Ideas set, I'm hoping that we get a new shuttle set soon-ish from either ideas or as a creator expert set.
    vizzitorstarwars4ever
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,088
    I strongly dislike the Shuttle Idea. Not just because of the large amount of NASA Ideas projects already produced but because it goes against the whole point of Lego Ideas. Lego has made space shuttles since 1990. They don't need that as a suggestion for something new to try.
    drdavewatfordtomahawkerstluxvizzitorThe_RancorMr_Cross560Heliportgmonkey76Mynatt
    I strongly dislike the Shuttle Idea. Not just because of the large amount of NASA Ideas projects already produced but because it goes against the whole point of Lego Ideas. Lego has made space shuttles since 1990. They don't need that as a suggestion for something new to try.
    I completely agree, despite being a massive fan (and collector) of LEGO Space Shuttles.
    Bumblepants560Heliport
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,022
    Count me in as another for the Thunderbirds. Nostalgia and how well it's designed would make it a must buy.
    I also have a soft spot for the Anatomini idea. I think it's a great idea especially as a younger audience educational tool but would also be fun to have as an adult to customise the outside figure into your own.

drdavewatford
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 440
    I'm rooting for any of the buildings, including the Winnie The Pooh set. I like the look of the Thunderbirds set but it just doesnt fall in my focus (as broad as it is). The others arent really of an interest for me.
    I don't disagree with your points at all @Bumblepants! I, just in general, would like to see a replacement for #10213 / #10231 soon. Having it come from the Creator line instead of Ideas though does make much more sense.
    BumblepantsSumoLego
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 872
    edited February 11
    Likewise - fingers tightly crossed. While I do wonder about its immediate appeal beyond a certain age/demographic, there's so much play potential there in addition to the nostalgia factor. 
    Pretty sure the newer CGI series on CITV in the UK has actually opened Thunderbirds up to a new generation of children who like the kid friendly action and crazy future tech. This plus... I watched a lot of the 90s puppet reruns and had the infamous Matchbox Tracey Island when I was growing up (instead of building the one in Blue Peter). Hopefully this all means there’s good reason to make the set!
    drdavewatford
    Pretty sure the newer CGI series on CITV in the UK has actually opened Thunderbirds up to a new generation of children who like the kid friendly action and crazy future tech. This plus... I watched a lot of the 90s puppet reruns and had the infamous Matchbox Tracey Island when I was growing up (instead of building the one in Blue Peter). Hopefully this all means there’s good reason to make the set!
    Amen to that!
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,699
    But when are they announcing the release dates from the last three approved sets? HMM!!?!?!!
    560HeliportKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 245
    Seeing rumors of a $200 ideas set and a $350 ideas set.  Guessing that Sesame Street will be $200 and the Pirate Bay $350.  Just a guess...
    KungFuKennygmonkey76BumblepantsmsandersRedbullgivesuwindvizzitor
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,809
    I would love for them to make a Thunderbirds lego set. I had all the toys as a child, plus a dress up costume as Virgil. However, I wonder about the international appeal of this set. I don't think it is as well known outside of the UK.
    I am very happy with the results. Both sets will be on my want list!!
    vizzitorM_Boss
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 472
    So… Medieval Blacksmith and Winnie-the-Pooh! As a space nerd it's a shame about the shuttle, but I do understand… and I think those two will make pretty good models. 

Shame about Thunderbirds too. Perhaps they couldn't get the license?
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 652
    As expected I can now be disappointed we'll never get an official haunted mansion
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,088
    Super excited for the Blacksmith shop! Was expecting it to get passed over. 
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 573
    Gutted for the Thunderbirds. I might have to ask to see if there is a brick list for it and go buy the parts on Bricklink as I loved the design.

Hopefully we will see a Tigger Minifig from the Winnie Pooh Set.
    Redbullgivesuwindvizzitor
    edited February 12
    Gutted for the Thunderbirds.
    Me too. Sniff. :-(

I like the two projects that did make the cut, though, especially the Blacksmith's, so all is not lost!

Shame about Thunderbirds too. Perhaps they couldn't get the license?
    Highly doubtful, IMHO - I suspect that Jamie Anderson would have bitten their arm off if LEGO had approached! More likely it was felt that there just wasn't enough global appeal I guess.
    vizzitorThe_Rancor
    As expected I can now be disappointed we'll never get an official haunted mansion
    There is always the chance it wasnt picked because TLG already has plans for a Haunted Mansion, along the lines of the Disney Castle and Train. At least that is what I am going to go with to keep my hope alive :)
    Weepy_Donutspanchox1KungFuKenny
    Nice! I was genuinely a bit worried they'd opt for that Office monstrosity over the Pooh set, and I couldn't see two licensed sets making the cut. I can't wait to give my friend that set! :D 
    drdavewatfordpanchox1vizzitordatsunrobbie
    As I was just in Disneyland, and as my littlest little's favorite ride was the Pooh ride, this might be a must-buy for my family. 
    panchox1vizzitorKungFuKenny
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 810
    edited February 12
    Pretty much what I expected and had hoped for. Not good for the wallet and lack of space though.

AFOL Problems...
    I'm very happy for the Winnie the Pooh set! I'm very much looking forward to getting those minifigures!

And the Blacksmith Shop is a surprise, but certainly welcome. We definitely need more medieval / castle sets back in our lives!
    vizzitorandheKungFuKennyM_Boss
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 373
    Not good for my wallet, but the Blacksmith is simply beautiful, it will be tough going against the others though IMO.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,863
    Be interested to see how they do the Pooh figs. I'm quessing moulded heads but is that a first for ideas? (new parts).

I'd totally ignored the Blacksmith, despite Castle being what made me an AFOL, as I thought it didn't stand a chance. Excited to see what it turns out like! 
    KungFuKenny
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 184
    I was hoping for the Museum but maybe they have something similar lined up for a future modular. Will be buying both the Blacksmith and Winnie The Pooh.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 872
    Although i’m actually quite happy with these results and will almost certainly get the blacksmith shop (shoppe?), i’m getting an undercurrent from TLG that their evergreen themes are ominously becoming random oddities rather than consistently returning favourites. If the Pirate Bay and Blacksmith Shop are both Ideas sets does this just suggest TLG won’t be making more of Pirates or Castle as wider themes? Maybe not entirely, but it seems likely for the next few years.
    andhegmonkey76
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 165
    I supported Pursuit of Flight and was disappointed that it was not chosen (though I'm sure Winnie the Pooh and the Blacksmith's Shop will be awesome sets). JK Brickworks has now posted the parts list and instructions for both the motorized and hand crank versions of Pursuit of Flight on their web site. O frabjous day! Thank you JK Brickworks!
    andhecanon03izxgmonkey76KungFuKennytomahawkerSwitchfoot55thenos
  • izxizx USAMember Posts: 26
    Thanks @Cymbeline! JK Brickworks also has videos of SW Trench Run Pursuit, Christmas sleigh "pursuit" and Wright's First Flight using the same mechanism while changing the aircraft and landscaping on the base.
    Cymbelinegmonkey76canon03KungFuKenny
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 934
    Well I'm super excited about the Winnie the pooh set! As you can see from my username I will be super happy if they make that printed 'Mr Sanders' sign. Bernie Sanders will also be happy! Who knows, Bernie could be the next President by the time the set comes out!
    vizzitor
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,205
    The Blacksmith is a nice MOC, but with all those small parts will probably be expensive for what it is.

• tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 177

While I’m personally disappointed that the two projects I really wanted to own were not approved, my bigger concern is that TLG seems to be focusing more and more on larger Ideas sets.  It’s been almost two years (April 2018) since a set was released that was less than $60 USD, and I can’t see either of these newly approved projects retailing for less than $80 (the Blacksmith shop will likely be much more).  With rumors of $300+ price tags for the sets approved but not yet released, it seems it will be another year at least before a lower priced set might appear.

I may be wrong, but if TLG want to attract non-AFOL adults into the hobby, they might have better luck with a set that retails for $40 instead of $100+.  Too bad that no longer is an option.

560Heliport
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 652
    ^I could see Pooh getting done around $80

I may be wrong, but if TLG want to attract non-AFOL adults into the hobby, they might have better luck with a set that retails for $40 instead of $100+. 

Do you really think so? An adult not accustomed to the hobby is more likely to be drawn to something with a strong display presence and an involved build than a simpler project, I would think. Like, adults don't buy little jigsaw puzzles when they feel to assemble one. They go for the large, complex ones that offer a considerable time investment. I'd imagine Lego is much the same?

• tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 177
    @klinton I guess it depends on the subject matter.  If I'm already a fan of a certain licensed property, I would probably be less focused on the price.  However, if I was going to stick a toe in the water for a new hobby, or even to test the "mindfulness" element that TLG is promoting, I don't think I would start at the $100 level.  A 1,000 piece adult jigsaw puzzle can be had for $20.
    560Heliport
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,205
    I wonder how many Winnie the Pooh fans there are that are not already into (Disney) LEGO. I imagine they are catering for the people that have already bought into some other LEGO and will go relatively big for Pooh ($100+ and not $40).
    ^ If they go that big (cost-wise), I would think that would be a huge deviation from the submitted set. Assuming that cost is reflected in the number of parts included. Not that I am complaining though, I would still get it.
    I for one am expecting a massive Pooh.

ha, Pooh...
    panchox1KungFuKennygmonkey76PyrobugvizzitorBumblepantstomahawker
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,381
    edited February 15
    I for one am expecting a massive Pooh.

ha, Pooh...
    Was the Ideas Colonoscopy set approved?  The corners of the LEGO bricks will make it very delicate...
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 165
    @SumoLego Unfortunately Minifig anatomy precludes the Ideas Colonoscopy set and it did not get approved.