Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Advice for selling segments of my Lego Collection

peterjohn0peterjohn0 New Jersey, USMember Posts: 8
I can sense some changes on the horizon with my job (that I've been at for almost 20 years) and I have a strong sense that there may be major life changes coming for me (loss of the job, selling of my current house, moving to a new state, down-sizing, etc...) soon and I'd like to start getting ahead of it, so I'm not so overwhelmed when the moment does come.

So I have decided that one of the logical ways I can start is by selling off segments of my Lego collection that, while I did enjoy collecting them, they aren't in alignment with my core collecting (Lego & Hasbro Star Wars) - so if I have to downsize my collection, those are the segments that make sense to try and sell first.

Some of the questions I have are:
  • Does it make sense to catalog each of the sets' parts inventory and keep photographic evidence of that effort should there be any dispute that I sold incomplete sets (I'm only looking to get some money back on my collection to downsize and pay some bills, not to swindle anyone, but I also don't want to be a victim of an unscrupulous buyer either)
  • For the sets I'm looking to sell that I have disassembled and have been storing in ziplock storage bags, should I reassemble the set(s) for photos if I go the route of selling the sets on eBay or Facebook Marketplace?
  • Would I be better off selling themes as collective wholes or should I break them up by sets (or even sets that interact with each other) - for example, try to sell all of the Lego Hobbit stuff as a single lot or sell them separately, but keep things like Dol Guldur Battle & Dol Guldur Ambush together since the sets connect - or should I go even broader and put Hobbit and Lord of the Rings together as a single lot?
  • If I go the route of selling collective themes and try to sell my Lego DC Superheroes collection, would I still be better off splitting off the DC Superheroes (missing early convention minifigs & constraction) stuff from the Lego Batman Movie (complete collection stuff from the DC Superhero Girls (complete collection) stuff?
  • Also would it make sense to include the SDCC items I have in any theme collection lot or should I always parse them out sell separately?
Apologies for all the questions. I have been a Lego buyer the last nine years and haven't even had to think about selling Lego until now, so I definitely appreciate any and all advice the folks on here might have to offer.

Comments

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,286
    I would say to list individual sets rather than whole themes- anyone interested probably has some of the sets in a theme. You could offer a discount for buying an entire theme.
    peterjohn0Jackad7Astrobricks
  • peterjohn0peterjohn0 New Jersey, USMember Posts: 8
    Ok - a discount for buying the entire theme isn't a bad idea, thank you. I hate assuming anything, but I'm assuming you mean if I put something up for sale here on the boards or on the Facebook marketplace. On eBay, I'm not sure how I would offer both the individual sets and then also offer selling all of them together at a discount.

Any thoughts on my idea to spend the time cataloging the parts of each of the sets? For example, when I dismantled each of the Hobbit and Lord of the Ring sets, I carefully made sure all of the pieces were placed in ziplock storage bags that I labelled with the set name and number. So I'm reasonably confident that all of the parts are there.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,696
    That's really the most efficient way to do it. If you really wanted to be absolutely 100% sure everything is there, you could always reference the parts checklists as you're dismantling the sets.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,773
    You can always post a list of what you have for sale in the marketplace here. 
    panchox1Astrobricks