Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Advice for selling segments of my Lego Collection
I can sense some changes on the horizon with my job (that I've been at for almost 20 years) and I have a strong sense that there may be major life changes coming for me (loss of the job, selling of my current house, moving to a new state, down-sizing, etc...) soon and I'd like to start getting ahead of it, so I'm not so overwhelmed when the moment does come.
So I have decided that one of the logical ways I can start is by selling off segments of my Lego collection that, while I did enjoy collecting them, they aren't in alignment with my core collecting (Lego & Hasbro Star Wars) - so if I have to downsize my collection, those are the segments that make sense to try and sell first.
Some of the questions I have are:
- Does it make sense to catalog each of the sets' parts inventory and keep photographic evidence of that effort should there be any dispute that I sold incomplete sets (I'm only looking to get some money back on my collection to downsize and pay some bills, not to swindle anyone, but I also don't want to be a victim of an unscrupulous buyer either)
- For the sets I'm looking to sell that I have disassembled and have been storing in ziplock storage bags, should I reassemble the set(s) for photos if I go the route of selling the sets on eBay or Facebook Marketplace?
- Would I be better off selling themes as collective wholes or should I break them up by sets (or even sets that interact with each other) - for example, try to sell all of the Lego Hobbit stuff as a single lot or sell them separately, but keep things like Dol Guldur Battle & Dol Guldur Ambush together since the sets connect - or should I go even broader and put Hobbit and Lord of the Rings together as a single lot?
- If I go the route of selling collective themes and try to sell my Lego DC Superheroes collection, would I still be better off splitting off the DC Superheroes (missing early convention minifigs & constraction) stuff from the Lego Batman Movie (complete collection stuff from the DC Superhero Girls (complete collection) stuff?
- Also would it make sense to include the SDCC items I have in any theme collection lot or should I always parse them out sell separately?
Apologies for all the questions. I have been a Lego buyer the last nine years and haven't even had to think about selling Lego until now, so I definitely appreciate any and all advice the folks on here might have to offer.
Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com • Amazon
Recent discussions •