Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Potential UCS list

LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 495
This is the biggest insult to SW fans, we finally get mention of a new Tie Bomber and a new for LEGO SW the Nebulon B Frigate and it's not in a regular set format but in UCS. The only one that makes sense is therefore the LAAT/I Republic Gunship. If we get the Nebulon B Frigate as the 2019 Tantive IV then I am cool with that:
https://brickset.com/article/48534/vote-for-an-upcoming-ucs-set!

Comments

• LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 495
    Lordmoral said:
    This is the biggest insult to SW fans...
    I'm not sure how LEGO asking the fans to vote on an upcoming UCS set could possibly be described as an insult, let alone "the biggest insult", to Star Wars fans....
    Lordmoral said:
    The only one that makes sense is therefore the LAAT/I Republic Gunship....
    Eh? Nebulon B could ONLY really work as a UCS (or possibly in microscale I guess) and the bomber would work fine as UCS too (similar to the other TIE variants that LEGO has made UCS versions of over the years). So either of these would make perfect sense. In fact, I think the Gunship would make LEAST sense as it would surely work better as a playset with a whole bunch of minifigs to make it come alive rather than as a display set?

Quote everything, I am all for a Nebulon B if done like the 2019 Tantive IV but we need both a Bomber and the Frigate as regular sets. The Gunship is the most iconic for me.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,247
    I agree with @drdavewatford.  The Gunship makes the least sense IMO as UCS.  I actually think the ones they did for it already were well done, and a good size.  Not really sure what else they could do to make it significantly better to warrant a UCS variant.  

I also don't see why any ship *needs* a regular version in order to have a UCS version.  There was a regular tie bomber, just not an updated one.  And the Frigate would be pretty crappy at a system scale size version.
    drdavewatford
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,036
    I agree that the Nebulon B should only be done at UCS scale and would love to see it happen, provided it was done well as it's a difficult ship to get right (there are some weird and wonderful angles to achieve on both ends of the ship if you look closely). If the level of detail that went into the UCS Falcon is applied I think it could be a remarkable build and display piece. 

The Tie Bomber, as others have said would be better off as a normal set although Tie Fighters of any type are extremely popular so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets through this time.

I have to disagree with the Republic Gunship being the least suitable though.
    Yes there have been some excellent renditions in system scale but if you look at a lot of reference pictures, the system scale ships are quite a bit smaller than they should be and I think that if this was designed at a similar scale to the UCS Slave 1 (according to Wookieepedia, Slave 1 was 21.5 meters long and a Republic Gunship was 28.8 meters long so not too different in terms of size) and include a whole bunch of minifigs you have a a damn fine UCS style display piece and an excellent play set all rolled into one. 
    LordmoralKungFuKennyKorpen4444
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,506
    Argh! How annoying are Lego. I collect all the parts for a UCS Moc of the 1989 Bat Mobile and then they release an official set. The Moc is still better however as it breaks down into the Bat Missile.

I am 96% towards the parts for a circa 5,000 part Nebulon B Moc and now they are likely to release that as a UCS Moc.

What set do you want Lego to make next? I'll start collecting parts for that Moc :-)
    benbacardidrdavewatfordLordmoralCommanderRaab560HeliportLobotAstrobricksBrainsluggedOldfan
    TheFew said:
    Argh! How annoying are Lego. I collect all the parts for a UCS Moc of the 1989 Bat Mobile and then they release an official set. The Moc is still better however as it breaks down into the Bat Missile.

I am 96% towards the parts for a circa 5,000 part Nebulon B Moc and now they are likely to release that as a UCS Moc.

What set do you want Lego to make next? I'll start collecting parts for that Moc :-)
    A better Venator Cruiser.
    CommanderRaab560HeliportAstrobricksKorpen4444
     Roger that.. I'll start a bricklink wanted list...
    Lordmoral
    On the plus side I am about 6 parts short of the Arvo Brothers xenomorph... Can't see Lego doing that one!
    LordmoralKungFuKennyMaffyD
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,412
    I'm still waiting for an UCS A-Wing fighter myself. 
    LordmoralMaffyD
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,684
    I'm wondering (rather optimistically, if I'm being honest) if they have already locked in the A Wing for a UCS version already, and this one is the next one they are planning. How far in advance do they start figuring stuff like this out? It can't be for 2020 can it?
    Lordmoral
    MaffyD said:
    I'm wondering (rather optimistically, if I'm being honest) if they have already locked in the A Wing for a UCS version already, and this one is the next one they are planning. How far in advance do they start figuring stuff like this out? It can't be for 2020 can it?
    The company may have all three as UCS already but they are asking us for the next one to be released.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,288
    edited January 28
    It may not be the most accurate poll, but I put one together on my instagram and 692 people voted for the Republic Gunship and 325 voted for the Nebulon B. 

As someone that wants the Nebulon B made, I've got a bad feeling about this.
    LordmoralAstrobricksdrdavewatford
    samiam391 said:
    It may not be the most accurate poll, but I put one together on my instagram and 692 people voted for the Republic Gunship and 325 voted for the Nebulon B. 

As someone that wants the Nebulon B made, I've got a bad feeling about this.
    We have had all the sets from the OT might as well have some PT sets.
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 18
    edited January 29
    Lordmoral said:
    The company may have all three as UCS already but they are asking us for the next one to be released.
    I doubt it.  It's quite possible that they have all three prototyped already, but there's no reason for them to already be scheduled for release.  Remember that the Creator Expert car line kicked off in 2008 with a VW Beetle after it won a fan vote between prototypes for a Beetle, an Aston Martin DB5, a Mustang, and a DeLorean.  The prototyped Beetle was released in 2008, but the DB5 and Mustang weren't released until 2018 and 2019, after a redesigned Beetle in 2016, and when released they were completely different than the prototypes that were put to a vote, thanks to a decade's worth of developments in Lego parts.  We're still waiting for that Creator Expert DeLorean ... so between the Nebulon B, the Republic Gunship, and the TIE Bomber, I wouldn't count on the two that lose the vote being released anytime soon.
    LordmoralBumblepantsKungFuKenny
    iwybs said:
    Lordmoral said:
    I doubt it.  It's quite possible that they have all three prototyped already, but there's no reason for them to already be scheduled for release.  Remember that the Creator Expert car line kicked off in 2008 with a VW Beetle after it won a fan vote between prototypes for a Beetle, an Aston Martin DB5, a Mustang, and a DeLorean.  The prototyped Beetle was released in 2008, but the DB5 and Mustang weren't released until 2018 and 2019, after a redesigned Beetle in 2016, and when released they were completely different than the prototypes that were put to a vote, thanks to a decade's worth of developments in Lego parts.  We're still waiting for that Creator Expert DeLorean ... so between the Nebulon B, the Republic Gunship, and the TIE Bomber, I wouldn't count on the two that lose the vote being released anytime soon.
    The important part is that they will get released 
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 878
    edited January 29
    TLG are going to want to make a proportional decision so i’d guess...
    • If two sets both get a ton of votes but they battle it out fairly closely for 1st, they’ll definitely consider releasing the 2nd one soon after
    • If the 3rd place is lagging behind a lot they might reevaluate and think of another ship
    • If only 1 set is massively ahead (seems unlikely) they might just focus on that one and continue to propose other ships

I think the first eventuality is the most likely, possibly encompassing the second.
    Lordmoral
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,069
    "It's time for the designers here at LEGO Group to get designing!" I'm sure they have at least "rough draft" designs already done for all three. 
    LordmoralAstrobricks
    "It's time for the designers here at LEGO Group to get designing!" I'm sure they have at least "rough draft" designs already done for all three. 
    I suspect as much.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,069
    Also, if they haven't done any designing yet, why limit the poll to just three choices? Maybe a dozen? It could be that we'd vote overwhelmingly for something LEGO didn't think we'd care about.
    Lordmoral
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 878
    edited February 5
    My guess - 50% Gunship, 40% Nebulon, 10% TIE at most. I’m happy that a prequel ship won because, well, TLG aren’t exactly very keen on producing UCS prequel shops normally. Maybe it opens us up to more iconic prequel ships or MBS. I would LOVE a gungan battle MBS complete with some scenery and stone idol, plus shield generators and a raft of droids, maybe with an AAT. An MBS of the Geonosian arena would be good too. Ships wise the ARC 170, Venator, Naboo starfighter, one of the Jedi interceptors (yes I know we’ve already had one) or podracers would be good too.

Although I voted for the Nebulon i’m glad to finally see the tide turn and enough votes come in from prequel fans. I hope it’s a sea change we notice more widely as prequel kids such as myself have more of a voice. For example, Ahmed Best being welcomed like a homecoming hero at fan events is not something i’d have imagined only 5 years or so ago - more likely booed down by OT purists.
    560HeliportJackad7Lordmoral
    My guess - 50% Gunship, 40% Nebulon, 10% TIE at most. I’m happy that a prequel ship won because, well, TLG aren’t exactly very keen on producing UCS prequel shops normally. Maybe it opens us up to more iconic prequel ships or MBS. I would LOVE a gungan battle MBS complete with some scenery and stone idol, plus shield generators and a raft of droids, maybe with an AAT. An MBS of the Geonosian arena would be good too. Ships wise the ARC 170, Venator, Naboo starfighter, one of the Jedi interceptors (yes I know we’ve already had one) or podracers would be good too.

Although I voted for the Nebulon i’m glad to finally see the tide turn and enough votes come in from prequel fans. I hope it’s a sea change we notice more widely as prequel kids such as myself have more of a voice. For example, Ahmed Best being welcomed like a homecoming hero at fan events is not something i’d have imagined only 5 years or so ago - more likely booed down by OT purists.
    I saw the OT before the Prequels but as a kid I connected more with the Episodes 1-3.
    Jackad7
    Also, if they haven't done any designing yet, why limit the poll to just three choices? Maybe a dozen? It could be that we'd vote overwhelmingly for something LEGO didn't think we'd care about.
    Like say, a things they haven't done before.