Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Results: What is your favourite set, minifigure and theme of 2019?

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 952
edited January 11 in Brickset.com articles
Results: What is your favourite set, minifigure and theme of 2019?

Numerous wonderful sets and minifigures were available during 2019, encompassing 28 distinct themes. Brickset readers were therefore invited to select their favourite representatives in these categories towards the end of last year.

Almost 22,000 votes were submitted between these three polls! We are now ready to reveal the results and I believe there are some interesting surprises. View the winners below...

Continue reading »

© 2020 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Source: 48306

Comments

• M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 616
    Probably not too surprising that Lenny is the favored minifig for 2019, as he was released in a what amounts to a classic space minifig pack at a price most everyone could afford to pick up if they wanted to.  Perhaps more surprising to me was 1989 Batman.  As awesome as the fig is, being in a $300 set that came out the tail end of the year, I can’t say many have had a chance to put hands on plastic yet with him (and though I bought the set I haven’t had a chance to build it yet, so didn’t actually vote for Batman).

Coming out a full 5% ahead of anything else for the Treehouse though I did find a bit surprising, which caused me honestly to go back & read reviews.  Everybody thought it was a great set, I didn’t think it was for me.  After giving it a second look, I can see why people would like it so much, and just maybe why I might well have to pick up a copy for my city layout.  As if there wasn’t enough I already have to pick up from last year! :D. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,341
    Nostalgy won for the minifigs. anything else than lenny first would have been surprising, since, I think one of the classic spacemen was voted 2nd best minifig of all time?
    Star wars as the best theme is a surprise, I expected creator expert or ideas. I also thought the lego movie 2 would be higher. Surprised the batmobile didn't seem to help the DC theme. I also wonder if it could have been best set if it came out earlier.
    I’m not sure there was enough outside the batmobile to really help the theme. I guess Star Wars has some passionate fans. But in the end I think if CG was better received you’d see creator expert as the top theme. I’m not sure why it wasn’t more well liked, I’d put it ahead of most other modulars but I seem to be in the minority. 
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 818
    Yeah, DC had a rubbish year. It was the DC Superheroes stuff that got me back into Lego as an 'adult' (term used in the loosest possible sense, hahaha), but I skipped over most of the year's tired Bat-crap retreads. The 89 Batmobile is absolutely my favorite set of the year, but there were more exciting overall themes. One brilliant set doesn't make up for a completely disappointing year. 2020 is already looking brighter though! The CMF series is pure perfection, and I'm pretty stoked to see what they come up with for WW84!
    I am a wee bit shocked that TLM2 didn't fare so well in the poll. It was an absolutely mind blowing theme. I get that it wasn't a wild commercial success, but I'd assumed it was still appreciated by Lego fans. We were all actively buying and building Lego this past year despite the general public's Lego fatigue.
    I sure give TLM2 theme credit, here’s a collection of sets that couldn’t exist under any other theme.  The only common thread they’re bound by is the limits of the set designer’s imagination. & they put their most creative people to work there!  Most of the sets in the theme push the limits of what could be possible & realized within the medium.

Welcome to Apocalypseburg just looked awesome & to be fair it beat out a lot of high profile AFOL flagship sets in it’s own right (like CG, the Jurassic park set) to push TLM2 to a not terrible finish.  8th place beat out most evergreen themes (admittedly many with less AFOL appeal potential), you’ll just always have those themes like creator expert or ideas which put out sets that really resonate & generate a top ranking theme.  

Though I’m guilty of buying only one set from TLM2 (ok I might be talked into Benny’s space squad after reading this for two when I’m home this week as it’s still available at our walmart) I’m glad it lasted long enough to do a couple of waves.  I wonder if you’ll see this theme quietly appreciate in the aftermarket once people realize what they missed at retail.
    KungFuKenny