Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Building first advanced lego set

ShawdowShawdow Orlando, FLMember Posts: 1
Hello all :) , just got my first Lego it's the Lego Technic Porsche 911 RSR , I have been building Legos with my niece for a couple years now and decided I wanted to try a harder one myself so my wife got me that one for Christmas.  Any tips for someone building their first slightly more advanced set?  the first question I have is more organizational. Do you guys typically open all the bags at one time? or open them as you need them? after you open them do you keep them separated by what was in each bag? Any tips would be welcome :)

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,142
    Follow the instructions, opening bags when needed unless you want to spend time searching for parts rather than building.
    Fizyx
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,401
    With Technic sets I find it quite useful to pour all the same type of a part (black connectors, blue connectors, etc) into separate pots. Then axles regardless of the length go into a tray or tub that allows them to lay so I can see the lengths easily.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 330
    I would set aside the parts needed for each step that are identified in the call-out boxes on the top of each page in the instructions.  It's too easy to miss a gear or connector and there's no easy way to dissemble Technic sets. I never do that for System sets but will for Technic each time. Too easy to make a mistake that involves dissembling it backwards to fix, and if the mistake is in the gearbox or another inaccessible part of the set, you're prettymuch screwed. 
    BumblepantsMaffyD
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,519
    Open all bags and keep their contents in separate piles/boxes. 

Given they are not in numbered bags you'll be rummaging through all 1500 parts from step 1 so a little sorting would be beneficial, but there's no need to go overboard.

If this is your first Technic set then it is definitely worth doing what @MrJackson suggests because mistakes early on can be fatal.
    Switchfoot55
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,341
    double check that everything is correct after each step