Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Yoda light saber

i built Yoda for my wife for Christmas and she has it on display in our room , and i was looking for a way to light up the light saber, any one have any suggestions? i would like to have it powered with ac current so that it will plug into the wall.

Comments

• omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 791
    edited December 2019
    How about removing the long white axle and replace it with "glowstick wire"?
    This one says it's 2.3mm thick and can be cut to lengh. A LEGO bar is 3.18mm thick, so if you can find something like that, it should work nicely.

panchox1PyrobugAstrobricks
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,688
    I may need to give this a go too. 
    omnium
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 412
    EL wire looks cool, but yeah, it's not very bright. If you want to make it really bright you could use green LED filaments (they should fit but will need soldering and a mains converter which can be harvested from a bulb along with the filaments). But WARNING, while EL wire is HVAC at high frequency, it is generally low current and safe (won't shock unless it's huge run of it). LED filaments however run on higher current HVDC and will shock, so if you have kids in the house stick with EL wire.
    Switchfoot55omnium
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 767
    Another option that could potentially work would be to use a blacklight near the model. Trans. Bright Green is usually fluorescent (though slightly less so than Trans. Neon Green) and this method would not require the model itself to be modified. That said, that solution might suffer from the same problem of not being bright enough unless the model itself is in darkness. Additionally, the level of fluorescence in Lego parts can sometimes vary, leading to parts you want to glow glowing less brightly or parts you don't want to glow doing so anyway. Still, if you happen to have the materials it might be worth a shot.
    omnium
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 986
    My 7 watt ("60 watt equivalent") blacklight bulb does make Yoda's lightsaber glow. All of my trans. bright green pieces look the same. I don't know how powerful a bulb you'd need to make it glow in normal lighting. And here's a potential downside: isn't it the UV in sunlight that discolors pieces? Then using a blacklight to make Yoda's lightsaber glow might discolor him!
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 412
    My 7 watt ("60 watt equivalent") blacklight bulb does make Yoda's lightsaber glow. All of my trans. bright green pieces look the same. I don't know how powerful a bulb you'd need to make it glow in normal lighting. And here's a potential downside: isn't it the UV in sunlight that discolors pieces? Then using a blacklight to make Yoda's lightsaber glow might discolor him!
    A blacklight bulb is near-UV/UVA while the sun emits all the way into UVC so unless you used tanning or sterilization lamps it shouldn't be an issue.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,688
    ^Dang, no more tanning with my bricks I guess...
    FizyxdavetheoxygenmanKungFuKenny
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 986
    @Cyberdragon thanks, good to know!