Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying bricks for a ”MOC” - What to consider?

SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 59
edited December 2019 in Buying & Selling Topics
So, with absolute no MOCing skills, ive thought about making a foodtruck using the instructions for the pizza van set (60150) but make it in the colours of the hamburger bar (60214) and adding grill surface instead of the oven/cupboard-thing.

I want to exchange all yellow parts for white, and either the dark red to bright orange and the grey into green...or vice versa.

Questions:
How would you go about this?
Would you look at the cost for each alternative, if either version is equaly as aesthetic for you? Or would you look at the cost difference in certain special parts, eg the dirt guard, vehicle roof parts or the ”half circle thing above the tires”?

I started with wanting the lower parts of the van in bright orange...after adding a few parts to my bricklink-wish list, I found out that a few parts dont exist in bright orange 🤬 so i had to start over, this time with green instead.
That must have happened to some of you when MOCing, what do you do in this type of scenario? Try to see which bits are hidden and can be in a diffrent colour or do you chose a different colour for the entire design?

Also, would you mostly use bricklink for this? (I dont have spare parts, just a few 1x1 round/tiles). Or BnP? Or PAB online? Or PAB wall in store (have one official Lego store 40mins train ride from me, never bought anything from the wall before since the few times ive looked at it, mostly seen empty bins or big 2 x something bricks).

If using bricklink, do you encounter problems with the average lot value being lower than the sellers condition, and how do you go about that?
I tried pushing the ”easy buy” button, appearently I can get away with buying from just 2 sellers. I havnt gone through with the orders yet though since it would cost me around 500SEK (lets say 50USD/500euro), when the pizza van only costs 200SEK. 500SEK excl shipping and handling fees.

Sure, pieces in bulk are often cheaper than buying individual bricks, but is this difference in cost ”reasonable”? Im well aware of what is ”reasonable” is a personal opinion, but still... Interested in how those of you that are ”MOCers” go about this price wise, investigating alternatives etc.
Snizzlebutts

Comments

• bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,003
    If you put the original set into Bricklink wants list, you can then go through the list to see what parts come in which colour then once you know which parts you want to change to whatever colour, select the relevant parts and change all the parts at once. 
    I don't know if there is an easier way but I know you can change the colour first but it doesn't tell you which parts are available it that particular colour. 
    As for pricing, a lot of parts will be cheaper on Bricklink against Lego's own parts sites but you have to factor in postage and packing, again this is something that I haven't found an easy way to do other than a spreadsheet with a price comparison and rough shipping costs.
    panchox1KungFuKennySilverLove
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 451
    Coming in the 2020 Creator range is a burger van in exactly those colours, albeit with some somewhat "whacky" features: #31104
    KungFuKenny
  • SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 59
    Coming in the 2020 Creator range is a burger van in exactly those colours, albeit with some somewhat "whacky" features: #31104
    Thats what got me into thinking about a burgervan, but worried that it will be too difficult to customise it. It doesnt look like ”just changing the tires and the plate/axis the wheels are attached to”. (And i will end up with even more large tires that i never use that are already taking up space in my  lego bin 😅)
    But my main concern is that i cant change the coming burger van in an easy (eg no talent needed) way.
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 367
    I would go with what Bandit778 said.  It's probably the easiest route to take.
    SilverLove
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 451
    @SilverLove Yeah, more work is needed than just swapping out the wheels and tyres unfortunately. That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to model the base on something like the Pizza Van… 
    SilverLove
    @SilverLove Yeah, more work is needed than just swapping out the wheels and tyres unfortunately. That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to model the base on something like the Pizza Van… 
    Speak for yourself, ”shouldnt be too difficult to...” :-)

Ill atleast wait for the release of the Monster Burger Truck before making any decisions...iif its price rivals that of ordering pieces to build my own one and its lots of work to customise the moster i might go ahead with my 500SEK van anyway.

Thank you all for input!
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,003
    @SilverLove
    After having another think about this and reading your comments about mocing skills, have you considered downloading STUDIO (Bricklinks digital design program) you can upload the set into it and make changes (if I remember correctly you can set the colours to only display available bricks) then you can chop and change parts, adjust colours for particular bricks, and it's a good way to learn about parts, numbers and how stuff goes together and If it isn't right, change it back or not save it all without costing a penny. 
    The added bonus is when you have the design how you like it, you can then upload the parts list straight to a Bricklink wishlist. There will still obviously be a bit of work sourcing the parts for the best price possible but at least you would only be buying what you required for the build. :)
    dmcc0pxchrispanchox1KungFuKennyAstrobricksSilverLovePyrobugReesesPieces
    bandit778 said:
    @SilverLove
    After having another think about this and reading your comments about mocing skills, have you considered downloading STUDIO (Bricklinks digital design program) you can upload the set into it and make changes (if I remember correctly you can set the colours to only display available bricks) then you can chop and change parts, adjust colours for particular bricks, and it's a good way to learn about parts, numbers and how stuff goes together and If it isn't right, change it back or not save it all without costing a penny. 
    The added bonus is when you have the design how you like it, you can then upload the parts list straight to a Bricklink wishlist. There will still obviously be a bit of work sourcing the parts for the best price possible but at least you would only be buying what you required for the build. :)
    @bandit778, thank you for taking the time to write such an informative post! I read about the program a long time ago, but only thought of it as a tool to moc. Ill give it a try. The possibility to chop bits is good, eg to easily be able to see if 1x8 can be exchanged for two 1x4 instead. And to only see available colours for each brick would be useful too. Thank you again for thinking over my ”issues”!!
    bandit778LittleLori
  • ct13ct13 USAMember Posts: 6
    To add to what bandit778 said on the utility of Stud.IO, if you do a bit of googling you can probably find the large archive/thread  (not on this forum) that includes a vast majority of the official sets assembled with .lxf or .ldd files which are mostly compatible with Stud.IO. The program will let you limit colors to only those available for the part selected which is pretty handy.

Stud.IO has a shortcoming that while you can import the parts for any set you have to build the set yourself which, depending on your familiarity and the number of odd angles in the set, can occasionally be frustrating.
    SilverLove
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,272
    Correct, there's a nice thread with LDD files for offical sets here on Eurobricks.
    SilverLove