Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Cheap way to increase brick count

What’s the best/cheap way to increase your collection of bricks?  The sets my son gets are mainly plates.  He has very few bricks and really needs more.  What should I do to get more without breaking the bank?  Are there sets that are only bricks and no plates?

Comments

• ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 349
    LEGO Classic is great for this. Pick a Brick will also let you purchase bricks and pieces in bulk. Also, Bricklink.
    KungFuKennyFizyxkiki180703
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 718
    edited December 2019
    ^^ I see you are in Texas.. if you are anywhere near a Lego Store (Austin, San Antonio, Houston, DFW) then the Pick a Brick wall is a great option.  There are a few threads on the forum discussing how to fit the most bricks possible into a cup.  For example:
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/15678/how-do-you-stack-your-pick-a-brick-cups
    It really boils down to how much time you want to spend fitting the bricks in to maximize savings... going this route can get you a pretty big pile of bricks for a great price.
    I personally use Bricklink quite a bit, but usually for more specific parts, colors, etc.
    Lastly, Bricks and Pieces lets you make bulk orders from Lego (assuming the site is working, and that it is not shut down for the holiday season) but not always at the best price: https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/replacementparts
    Just click on the bottom option ”Buy Bricks”
    FizyxmadforLEGO
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,142
    It really depends what bricks he wants. A trip to the pick-a-brick wall is often better than sets if you have one close enough to you, then you can get bricks in a colour that he will use.
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 274
    Walmart still has #11005 (black Friday special) available online for $20. If any strore still has them they may be cheaper than that. You can get a couple. They have an assortment of bricks and some plates and special parts.
    BumblepantsLittleLori
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 224
    If you're not fussed about the bricks being brand new, buying used is by far the cheapest way to quickly add to a collections. Not sure exactly what methods the US has other than garage sales, but have a look on ebay and Facebook Marketplace for job lots being sold off.
    datsunrobbieMCNwakeboard
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 367
    Bulk tables at independent shops like Bricks & Minifigures are a good source for bricks.
    Switchfoot55
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,505
    Used bricks are cheaper than new ones most of the time. Check out local thrift stores like Savers and Goodwill. Most of my bricks came from Savers. It's hit or miss when shopping at these stores, since it all depends on what has been donated. Some days I find nothing, other days I've found 30 pounds or even more.
  • ApryldsAprylds TexasMember Posts: 8
    Thanks.  I had purchased one of the boxes from Walmart.  The closest pick a brick wall is 5 hours away, so that’s not a consistent shopping avenue.  I guess I’ll watch garage sales and eBay.  What’s a good price to pay per pound?
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 601
    I’ve had mixed success with used bricks, especially bought unseen. I found the best way to build up brick count was to buy large sets new at big discounts. That has the added benefit of giving you surplus minifigures to sell on to decrease the price further. In some instances, HP Great Hall for example, selling the minifigures paid for the set, getting me the buildings free. 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,447
    Aprylds said:
    Thanks.  I had purchased one of the boxes from Walmart.  The closest pick a brick wall is 5 hours away, so that’s not a consistent shopping avenue.  I guess I’ll watch garage sales and eBay.  What’s a good price to pay per pound?
        There are hundreds of auctions on Ebay for basic bricks without minifigures included. Take your time and try to get basic bricks for about $5 per lb. plus shipping.  Watch the shipping cost though. Some of these sellers try to rip you off by charging $15 lb or more, don't buy from them. 
    panchox1
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,036
    I avoid used bricks as I don't have time and energy to deal with the batteries, cat hair, and other random crap that often comes with it.
    Pyrobuggmonkey76SnizzlebuttsFodder
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,688
    @Aprylds, I've had a moderate amount of success watching Craigslist and Offer Up for bulk brick lots. On three occasions, I've landed 40+lbs of bricks for $50. If you can find bulk brick for $2-3/lbs, then I'd say go for it if it looks decent. Even $4-5/lbs isn't too bad. Beyond that and I feel like I'm over paying. 

However, if you see a UCS Star Destroyer peeking out of the bile of bricks at $6/lbs, then maybe still pull the trigger on it!
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,638
    ^ “bile of bricks” - sounds like what @Bumblepants was talking about ;-)
    Baby_YodaSnizzlebuttsBumblepants560HeliportPyrobugSwitchfoot55kiki180703
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 985
    I don't so much mind the identifiable debris, it's the unknown substances that scare me!
    Switchfoot55AstrobricksLittleLoridmcc0kiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,502
    ^I've found that younger brothers, sisters, nieces, and nephews growing out off the LEGO Sets I've bought them is great for getting more LEGO. Not so great for getting complete sets or pieces in good condition.
    KungFuKennyBaby_Yoda560HeliportCymbelinePyrobugkiki180703bmwlegoLittleLorimsanders
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 226
    edited December 2019
    I’ve found that patiently waiting for my college age kids to enter their dark age paid off nicely in adding parts to my collection...
    @KungFuKenny That’s one of the nicest excuses I ever heard from people who are about to enter their 50’s/60’s for getting into the phase of hoarding. Well done!
    KungFuKennyCymbelinecatwrangler
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 718
    I’ve found that patiently waiting for my college age kids to enter their dark age paid off nicely in adding parts to my collection...
    @KungFuKenny That’s one of the nicest excuses I ever heard from people who are about to enter their 50’s/60’s for getting into the phase of hoarding. Well done!
    Hey, I’m paying for their college, so.... And I’m only in my late 40’s I’ll have you know - that’s totally different from 50, right? ;-)
    M1J0EModeltrainman
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 985
    I turned fifty this year... it's different! 
    KungFuKennyAstrobricks