Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Masters TV competition on Fox.

12346»

Comments

• panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 409
    edited April 16

I liked it. I feel S&J should have placed Higher.  Felt like M&B's build was a mashup of several of their past builds.
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 978
    Overall I was a bit disappointed with the top 2 builds. I think they have built much better earlier in the competition! Also, they have both built similar designs across many of the other weeks. Probably with endless ideas it can be more difficult than a defined theme each week. 

I really loved S&J's build and thought it should have won based on that build alone. They really peaked at the right time! I think across the whole season they weren't the best but recently they've been really great! 
    panchox1awahl211
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 925
    I thought they were all great and each build really matched who they were.  As great as Sam and Jessica's build was, it just didnt seem as grand as the other two and didnt seem like a 24 hr build.

Mark and Boone's was nice but still felt like something we have seen before.

Amy and Tyler's was good because it was really personal and at the moment for them.

I agree with the placing but wouldn't have been upset with if it were any different.
    Astrobricks
  • im2cre8ivim2cre8iv Utah, USAMember Posts: 120
    We really enjoyed all 3 builds and felt it was very close at the end. I bet the judges had a really hard time making the final decision for all of them, as it wasn’t as clear-cut as it had been in prior weeks. 
    The elimination process with just the two judges does seem too subjective.  Maybe having five judges that each vote or rank then on their own will make it more quantifiable.
    Also, am I the only one that thinks $100,000 is not very much for winning the entire competition?   You have people with a quarter of that on one episode of jeopardy or wheel of fortune all the time.  These shows aren't even on prime time.  Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of money but just not much when compared to other shows and competition.
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 78
    While I rooted for the bearded brothers, they seemed to work mostly in boxy structures of minifig scale throughout the competition. 

They did it awesomely with fun storytelling and it was my favorite of the three final pieces, but if they zoomed out and made more of a sculptural piece or had more organic elements, I wonder if it would have changed the outcome.

But I’m not very creative, so that just makes me an annoying critic. 

Great show, I had a lot of fun.  
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,958
    A satisfying if somewhat predictable outcome. I loved all three builds, and was particularly impressed with the artistry that went into the peacock. I think it suffered in comparison since it was completely static. The saggy table also bugged me. Tyler and Amy always had that extra something in their vision and their execution.
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 48
    edited April 17
    All 3 final builds were great and all deserved to be in the top 3 finalists. 

S&J - I really liked the peacock, but I care for the monkey part of their build and I didn't understand what the sewing machine was doing there until it was explained.

M&B - Super build, but I felt there was too much detail and the overall story was  lost in the overabundance of smaller stories.

A&T - My favourite of the 3 finalists.  Great build and the details added to the story rather than overwhelming it.
    truck730
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,866
    MrJackson said:
    ^Agreed. I think it casts a bit of an aura of uncertainly over the decision to keep all three teams as Tyler and Amy would have been eliminated. I'm not saying the fix is on, as they certainly deserved to win it and I had them pegged as the eventual champions from the second episode, but I definitely raised an eyebrow. 
    I suspect that the decision to keep all three teams was made before that second to last challenge was even underway. I've seen it pointed out that the Australian and British versions of LEGO Masters both ALSO had three teams in the final round.

The Star Wars episode was also very different than a lot of the others: it had two more or less unrelated building challenges (rather than one challenge with a mid-challenge twist), the second of those challenges was about recreating a specific subject rather than something more open-ended like all the challenges in the other episodes, and the background knowledge the contestants were expected to have was a lot more specific than any of the other episodes.

A lot of folks have criticized this show for being overly scripted, which I sometimes think is unfair — for the most part, I think stuff like the emotional responses we see from the contestants or the opinions of the judges represent their authentic feelings in those moments. At worst, the editing to focus in on the emotional high and low points might make their overall experience seem more intense than it was for the majority of their time on set.

But these sort of format-related decisions (like mid-episode or end-of-episode twists) are one of the aspects that I think is MOST likely to be planned out in advance.
    BumblepantsLyichirstluxcatwrangler
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,649
    Also, am I the only one that thinks $100,000 is not very much for winning the entire competition?   You have people with a quarter of that on one episode of jeopardy or wheel of fortune all the time.  These shows aren't even on prime time.  Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of money but just not much when compared to other shows and competition.
    Don't knock it, the UK version winners win the (smaller) trophy, and that's it. No money at all.
    Switchfoot55ReesesPiecescatwrangler
    Don't knock it, the UK version winners win the (smaller) trophy, and that's it. No money at all.
    Point taken but why are the UK producers being so cheap?  The contestants are bringing them all that money, they should at least get a little bit of it.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,484
    ^Because we are British! Lots of UK quiz shows have no cash prize, for example. 
    ReesesPiecescatwrangler
    At a guess I'd say that the smaller audience in the UK makes it less likely that lots of money can be spent on making it.
    ReesesPiecescatwrangler
    edited April 18
    As for the final, my view is that Tyler and Amy absolutely deserved to win it. Their build was stunning and had loads of detail, especially around the base.

Mark and Boone's was very good, but I don't think it was their best work tbh, and in the end all the cute little minifig stories in it couldn't hide that it was a tower. Sure, a huge and impressive tower, but a tower nonetheless.

Sam and Jessica's build was very good, one of their best, and I honestly thought they might just have sneaked into second with it.

I really don't understand the 'hate' online for Tyler and Amy winning it. I'm not sure if there's just a lot of people who have been cheering for Mark and Boone, or whether some people just don't like Tyler and Amy, but to me they've built consistently excellent builds every single week, and thoroughly deserved to win.
    tomahawkerBumblepantsthenosnuttamastabuildastluxpanchox1catwrangler
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 841
    I have absolutely no hate for Tyler and Amy! They were consistently good throughout and I do understand their win. I was definitely rooting for Mark and Boone and do wish that they'd won, but I also agree that this final build maybe wasn't the best of what they're capable of. 
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 92

I really don't understand the 'hate' online for Tyler and Amy winning it. I'm not sure if there's just a lot of people who have been cheering for Mark and Boone, or whether some people just don't like Tyler and Amy, but to me they've built consistently excellent builds every single week, and thoroughly deserved to win.

I suspect that much of it is that Amy didn't have a portfolio of work prior to the show, since they did say that she didn't build much beforehand, so many assumed that everything was all Tyler.  It hasn't helped that when she's been interviewed she keeps saying that she's new and inexperienced, as well as deferring to Tyler in many ways.  However, in talking to them as well as other contestants, it's clear she did a significant amount of the building throughout the show, so it's not like she was just along for the ride.
    stluxcatwranglerKungFuKennyAanchir
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,468
    edited April 19
    the 3 builds were impressive, and it is hard to choose a winner.
    I think I would have put mark and boone 3rd as it indeed looked similar to some of their previous builds, but it lacked the wacky monsters. The scale was impressive.

Sam and jessica's build may be my favourite, the 2 characters were really fun, and possibly on par with some of the best characters from Tyler and Amy. The feathers beautiful. It was just a bit small compared to the competition, and I wonder if it's the reason for 3rd place since the judges seemed especially impressed.

Tyler and Amy were the most deserving to win overall. Their final model was epic indeed, the griffin was pretty impressive, though not as much as the peacock, but then they had impressive scenery too.

Wonder what Christian and Aaron would have done. Like Sam and Jessica their Kraken build has been one of my favourites overall.

Also, I guess I wasn't the only one, when they briefly showed the 3 models at the beginning, who guessed exactly who would build what.

msanderscatwrangler
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    So, anyone seen the new Lego Masters AU? I'm liking it much more than the US version, partly because the Brickman is just so much nicer than Jamie and Amy.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,958
    edited April 20
    You thought Jamie and Amy were not nice? 😳 Amy cried when they sent people home for gosh sake!
    ReesesPiecesBumblepantsklintonLyichirKungFuKennykarmajayAanchir
    I don't dislike them as people, per se (I love Jamie's Creator Expert line). But I do wish they were less focused on tearing builds apart and more on praising the good parts while letting them know how they could improve, like how the Brickman does it.
    panchox1
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 561
    edited April 20
    That is most likely down to the editing and production of the show, not the judges themselves. They have a lot more to say to the contestants than you get to see on the show. 

Constructive criticism makes for "more drama" than just talking about what they like about the builds. And the US is all about creating drama! That much is obvious from the overall production of the show… 
    Lyichir
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,651
    As someone whose been critiqued by both Jaime and Amy it's how the creative leads work, you have to get use to both positive and negative aspects. This is ultimately to get a better outcome from the individuals and improving future iterations.
    LyichirAanchir
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 273
    edited April 20
    I'm surprised that Sam and Jessica made it so far, but they really improved throughout the show. I'm not surprised Tyler and Amy won; they were consistently good. I don't care if Amy was a noob who didn't build anything or if she was the mastermind: they delivered as a team the entire time, unlike, say, Kale and Bilsy from the AU show.

I still think the US show wasn't as well produced as the AU show, despite having the same challenges and the same format. The US show seemed more rushed, with less focus on the builds. Also I didn't really like Will Arnett as the host and prefer the AU guy. Also I felt like Terry Crews would've made a better host. Will's jokes seemed too forced most of the time. Also the constant references to how it was a reality show didn't really work for me: we all know it's a gameshow, but constantly calling attention to it wasn't funny. 

Probably the best joke in the entire season was when C3P0 called Mark and Boone wookies.

I do wish Jamie and Amy could've spent more time explaining Lego techniques and stuff, but maybe that's just me.
    shikadinuttamastabuildacatwrangler
    I actually liked Will's 'in jokes', making fun of himself and cracking knowing glances at the camera. He was clearly having fun, not taking the whole thing too seriously.

If you really want to know what a bad host looks like, watch the UK series.
    SumoLegoLyichirstluxBumblepantsKungFuKennymsanders
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,912
    Will's off-stage cot was quite entertaining.
    Lyichirdavetheoxygenmanmsanders
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,859
    I was cheering for the Beards since the first episode and wanted them to win as I think they're fantastic builders. However, I told my wife right after they stated their "idea" for the final build that it wasn't a winning build, regardless of how good it turned out and that either Tyler and Amy or Sam and Jessica would win it. 

I think Tyler and Amy's build was pretty fantastic. Although bummed my team of choice didn't win, I felt the best build won in the end. 
    pxchrispanchox1
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,912
    Actually, I found Amy/Tyler's build to be the most confusing.  A Griffin defending a nest of baby unicorns from a snake?

The monkey stealing a peacock feather for his hat was a much more clever idea.  Just not quite as impressive in the end.
    catwranglermsanders
    I liked Will. I think he was new at hosting a show? I've not followed any TV show (except this one) for years, but when I used to watch TV, I kinda remember new hosts tended to be more watchable than many more experienced ones. actually, some of the most experienced ones felt like they were ruining the show by their mere presence, like taking way more space than they should.
    Will's silly humor isn't for everyone but I do enjoy it.  It's like watching his character from Arrested Development which I thoroughly enjoyed so that helps.
    BumblepantsKungFuKenny
    a lot of his jokes are definitely lame, but at least he seems aware of it, like self-mockery
    KungFuKenny
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,853
    We just marathoned the show over a few evenings and really enjoyed it. It's interesting to see the different choices from the UK version (we only just saw season two of that one). It seems like US game shows have much higher stakes generally, which explains not including kid teams, though at least we did still get to see some two-generational and family teams in the US one. 

I didn't rate Sam and Jessica much at the beginning, so it was really cool to see how they rose to the challenge - once they built that mermaid/hydrant, it was clear they were a team to watch, and the peacock/monkey thing at the end was beautiful, imaginative and characterful. I was sorry they ended up in third place, and I actually thought their Star Wars build had the edge on Amy and Tyler's Battle of Hoth, which for me felt a bit static. 

Overall, Sam and Jessica grew the most when they started to bring a sense of movement into their builds, from the water spray around the mermaid to the different patterns of red dust being kicked up in the Star Wars round. 

Amy and Tyler were amazing; they were very good at using space, height and scale to create really impressive builds, and their characters had a very dynamic, animated quality. I didn't realise people were being sour about their win online, but being part of a creative couple myself, I know that a lot of stuff gets done through the interplay of two people's ideas, and I'm willing to bet she's a bigger part of their success than some people are giving her credit for. 

The bridge challenge seemed like it could be boring, but ended up being one of my favourite episodes - I still have no earthly idea how Amy and Tyler managed to do that with no understanding of the engineering principles, and with no Technic parts! Why did that thing even work so well? I also loved the bearded builders' bridge - that was a thing of beauty. 
    BumblepantsKungFuKennyPyrobug
  • karmajaykarmajay NCMember Posts: 46
    I enjoyed the show! I liked Will as the host. I do wish we saw more of the builds and details throughout the show. I liked all 3 final builds but from what I've read online A&T's did have a lot of story going on inside the tower that you could see and on the base that did not really show in the ep but obviously the judges could see it.

I look forward to future seasons and hope I can stream the AU somewhere!
  • tspiketspike Hood River, ORMember Posts: 27
    Hamish and Brickman are such a great pair on AU. I am absolutely loving the Aussie version. If you sign up for NordVPN it's dead simple to connect to their Australia server and then you can stream it on 9now.
    tspike said:
    Hamish and Brickman are such a great pair on AU. I am absolutely loving the Aussie version. If you sign up for NordVPN it's dead simple to connect to their Australia server and then you can stream it on 9now.
    Me too! There are some really great builders in there, and the Brickman is also a lot more likable.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,853
    Interesting - apparently Opera's in-built VPN doesn't play well with 9now. Before I get NordVPN, has anyone had any luck with Surfshark?