Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Masters TV competition on Fox.

Comments

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 556
    I'm a little disappointed they're dedicating a whole episode to a theme so specific, of which there's more than enough in actual sets anyway!

Spoken as somebody who tolerates SW but feels it's taken over LEGO somewhat… 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,905
    Since it has been clear to me since the second episode who will ultimately win the competition, the order of elimination is immaterial.

BUT SHOCKING!
    (Not really.)

The Douches were very proficient technical builders, but clearly the focus of this show is creativity.  And a robot bake sale is weird.
    Bumblepantscatwrangler
    I'm a little disappointed they're dedicating a whole episode to a theme so specific, of which there's more than enough in actual sets anyway!
    There'll probably be a twist with the incorporation of gigantic babies or an octopus.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,360
    edited March 27
    SumoLego said:
    Since it has been clear to me since the second episode who will ultimately win the competition, the order of elimination is immaterial.

BUT SHOCKING!
    (Not really.)

The Douches were very proficient technical builders, but clearly the focus of this show is creativity.  And a robot bake sale is weird.
    Yeah that was bewildering. The bake sale was too creative, like an overreach to make up for their prior lack of it. just make a wacky superhero base.
    PyrobugSumoLego
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,634
    They had a Galactic Bounty Hunter for a good guy, and they came up with a BAKE SALE?!

I'm sorry, but I knew they were going home as soon as they said that. There are so many more interesting things they could have come up with, especially with a programmer as a sidekick.

Tyler and Amy's faces said it all. They were stunned at the lack of imagination.
    PyrobugSumoLegobandit778AstrobricksBumblepantsBrickByBrickpxchrisdatsunrobbie
    Clearly, a Galactic Bounty Hunter needs an army of clones.  (Clones with unique facial hair.)  

An army of clones that turns into one large Galactic Bounty Hunter...

Or - bake sale.  Inexplicable bake sale.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,113

Tyler and Amy's faces said it all. They were stunned at the lack of imagination.
    I think that's the only time I've seen Amy without a smile on her face. 

Aaron's arrogance that his way was best was shown when he refused to ask for help. When your in a collaborative project like that you have to be able to bat different ideas about to get the best out of everyone. It's a shame really as they were both very good builders and Christian seemed like a very down to earth sort of bloke.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,463

Spoken as somebody who tolerates SW but feels it's taken over LEGO somewhat… 
    Yeah, I'm usually excited to learn what the next theme is, but this time I'm disappointed. There's already so much Lego Star Wars, more fun to see something new.

Not sure how Sam and Jessica made it this far. Expected Christian and Aaron to be top 3 or even against Tyler and Amy in finals, but it's like they ran out of ideas and can only pull off mundane builds now. They did a huge castle with dragon, a kraken and a giant pollution monster, so I don't get it...
    SumoLegoPyrobug
    Also when it comes to good vs evil, technology against ancient evil is quite an easier theme than pizza guy vs shower guy
    SumoLegoJern92
    The Mermaid Fire Hydrant definitely helped Sam and Jessica make it much further.  It's precisely what the LEGO marketing folks have been focused on for awhile.

catwrangler
    I figured the good performances of Christian and Aaron until the last 2 episodes may have saved them. At the same time Sam and Jessica were better both time. and making shower guy work as a super hero wasn't the easiest, those bubbles were a cool idea.

I see another problem with star wars week, those who are very much into the theme, will be very familiar with how the Lego sets are built. Hopefully there is a twist so it doesn't get too easy for them.
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 92
    I visited the set right after they'd filmed the SW episode, so I saw the creations that were made - they hadn't been broken down yet.  Without giving anything away, I think there was enough of a challenge for everyone, even if they were die hard SW fans.
    im2cre8ivpanchox1pxchris
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 852
    Fauch said:
    I figured the good performances of Christian and Aaron until the last 2 episodes may have saved them. At the same time Sam and Jessica were better both time. and making shower guy work as a super hero wasn't the easiest, those bubbles were a cool idea.

I see another problem with star wars week, those who are very much into the theme, will be very familiar with how the Lego sets are built. Hopefully there is a twist so it doesn't get too easy for them.

I feel like "knowing how the sets are made" could possibly be more of a hindrance than an asset... I imagine teams might get more props for originality than for reusing the techniques used in the sets themselves.
    SumoLegoAanchir
    Was I the only one wholly unimpressed with Jamie's choice in costume?

Missed opprotunity for him to don a polka-dot set of Jedi robes... or a 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat'-style robes.

Or a leather vest and too-tight '70's pants.  Or a Lando cloak.  That would have been totally boss.

As an aside, I wasn't as impressed with the Endor build - as I think the AT-ST was a bit out of scale.
    BumblepantsJern92pxchriscatwrangler
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 151
    SumoLego said:
    As an aside, I wasn't as impressed with the Endor build - as I think the AT-ST was a bit out of scale.
    I think they all did a terrific job considering the limited time frame for building that they had!
    ReesesPieces
    (And the Shield Generator was way, way out of scale as well.)
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 48
    The judges looked more like they were channeling Spaceballs than Star Wars! 

Generally a good episode though, I was actually more impressed with the build a droid challenge than with the main challenge.   
    SumoLegopxchrisPyrobugdspigelKungFuKenny
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,651
    This might have popped up before however I was wondering if the U.K has any official way of watching the show, will it ever be available outside outside of the U.S? Looks like more fun than the initial concept.
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,073
    I learned that I've apparently never had a vocal conversation about Star Wars. I've always called them 'ay-tee-ay-tee', not 'at-at'. It was bizarre to hear everyone saying the latter throughout the episode.
    LyichirBumblepantsSumoLegoMCNwakeboardJern92eggshenjnscoelhotspikecatwrangler
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 852
    klinton said:
    I learned that I've apparently never had a vocal conversation about Star Wars. I've always called them 'ay-tee-ay-tee', not 'at-at'. It was bizarre to hear everyone saying the latter throughout the episode.
    "At-at" is used by Rebel pilots in the movies but I get the impression that it's just a shorthand for the full acronym. Otherwise I can't comprehend how "AT-ST" would be pronounced. :P

CymbelineAanchircatwrangler
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 179
    The judges looked more like they were channeling Spaceballs than Star Wars! 

Generally a good episode though, I was actually more impressed with the build a droid challenge than with the main challenge.   
    Tallest Leia ever with a 6'2" Amy. A foot taller than Carrie Fisher.
    AstrobricksSumoLego560Heliport
    dehnehsu said:
    A foot taller than Carrie Fisher.
    (And Jamie as well.)
    560Heliportdehnehsubpk2300
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 379
    SumoLego said:
    (And the Shield Generator was way, way out of scale as well.)
    It was better than the dreck from #75098 Stormtrooper Bob and Tim's Suicide Mission on Hoth
    SumoLegoBumblepantsgmonkey76
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,599
    Bob and Tim were just trying to defect to the Rebel Alliance, but the Rebels just saw stormtroopers and opened fire. 
    I expect more from seasoned builders than that!
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,849
    I felt that this would have been a better challenge earlier on in the season. Or, that they should have either done the droids OR the iconic scenes. It seemed like doing both took away from the total. 

Also, I predicted to my wife what was going to happen with elimination two weeks ago...
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 839
    The Aye-Tee Aye-Tee vs. At At thing was really bugging my kid too. Haha

I too felt like the droid challenge was the better of the two, and I think overall that the episode would have been better if it was focused on just that one challenge.

This really wasn't my favorite episode of the season, in spite of being a huge Star Wars nerd. I think having it earlier on in the season also might have played better.

As we approach the end now though, I'm feeling better and better about my team taking home the prize!
    Switchfoot55
    When I worked at Lego, we had a customer come in asking for the AT-AT (#75054). She pronounced it "at at". I politely said the "Ay-tee Ay-tee" was right over here and brought her to it. She tells me that I said it wrong and that - and this is verbatim - "Clearly you're not a Star Wars fan." I responded that pronouncing it "at at" only works for that walker, and then asked her what the proper way to say AT-ST, AT-PT, MT-AT, AT-RT (and I'm sure there were others that I rattled off) were.

She left the store. 
    560HeliportpxchrisReesesPiecesjmeninnoPyrobugJern92
    Eh, just say "walker" and you've got them all covered. If there's more than one type attacking you, then you have bigger problems than terminology! :-)
    Cymbelinepanchox1catwrangler
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 48
    Rebal troopers manning the trenches on Hoth:

Trooper #1 - "Sound the alarm there are  at ats approaching from the west!"
    Trooper #2 - "Those are Aye-Tee Aye-Tees"
    Trooper #1 - "Never mind then."
    560Heliportstluxcatwrangler
    "Aye-Tee Aye-Tees!"  "Huh? What are 80-80s?" 
    AstrobricksJern92catwrangler
    I think part of the reason the big Star Wars scenes for me were a bit of a letdown is I have seen a large number of absurdly good MOCs of Hoth and Endor over the years and anything cooked up in 13 hour race isn't able to compare. I think Crait was the most appealing to me not just because it was well built but I just haven't seen that many Crait MOCs to compare it against.
    ReesesPiecesTkattKungFuKennycatwrangler
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 925
    MrJackson said:
    When I worked at Lego, we had a customer come in asking for the AT-AT (#75054). She pronounced it "at at". I politely said the "Ay-tee Ay-tee" was right over here and brought her to it. She tells me that I said it wrong and that - and this is verbatim - "Clearly you're not a Star Wars fan." I responded that pronouncing it "at at" only works for that walker, and then asked her what the proper way to say AT-ST, AT-PT, MT-AT, AT-RT (and I'm sure there were others that I rattled off) were.

She left the store. 
    I'm not sure that is to lego customer service standards, Mr. Jackson. 😁
    560HeliportAstrobricksPyrobugdavetheoxygenmangmonkey76datsunrobbiedaewoocatwrangler
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 925
    I think it would have been fun to see what they could have come up with more time.  Overall, this episode seemed like just a plug for star wars (disney money?) And to get more casual viewers.  I hope it worked.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,113
    edited April 10
    I think it should have either been a whole episode of one build or the other not both.
    It didn't really give a lot of time for the teams to get their teeth into either challenge.
    That being said, what they came up with in the time period was really good.
    My personal favourite was Sam & Jessica's Crait. It was the most dynamic and eye-catching of the three builds. 
    To be honest, my only real bugbear with the whole episode was the way everyone apart from the builders (including the droids) acted like extras out of the holiday special. It was painful to watch at times it was so cringey.
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 535
    What did Tyler and Amy use for the blaster fire on the Snowspeeder?
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 974
    I thought the episode was a bit flat! I thought there might be a twist at some point to spice it up but building scenes from star wars doesn't really give my creative license! 

I wondered whether they put all three teams through to the final because they didn't want the losing pair going home! The Crait build was the best in my opinion. 

Looking forward to the final. Not sure when it airs?
  • minicoop4minicoop4 USAMember Posts: 16
    msanders said:

I wondered whether they put all three teams through to the final because they didn't want the losing pair going home! 

My thoughts exactly!
    Jern92
    on the other hand, they may have put Tyler and Amy in the bottom just to build suspense, to show they can lose and Sam and Jessica may win against all odds.
    ReesesPieces
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,634
    Is it just me that thought that the trees on Endor should have had much more foliage on them? For me they were far too bare.

I think all three teams struggled with time on this challenge, and all three would have looked better and more polished with another two hours on the clock.
    Tkattmustang69
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,942
    I thought they all did a great job and it was hard to pick a loser (so they didn’t :)). I viewed the Crait build as the hardest, so I was impressed at Sam and Jessica’s decision to play up the color contrast and create a strong impression of action. However, I was disappointed they left out the battering ram.
    Is it just me that thought that the trees on Endor should have had much more foliage on them? For me they were far too bare.

I think all three teams struggled with time on this challenge, and all three would have looked better and more polished with another two hours on the clock.
    Yeah they looked like a couple trunks left after a logging crew came through
    SumoLego
    Yes... a bearded logging crew from Oregon...
    klintonBumblepantspxchrisKungFuKenny
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,481
    So, what's the consensus on the finale?  I think all three builds were superb and agree with the placings...  
    mustang69ReesesPiecesSirBenAanchirJern92catwrangler
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 839
    All three builds were absolutely fantastic, that's without a doubt.

However, I do feel like the first and second place teams should have been swapped.
    klintonjmeninnoJern92
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,073
    pxchris said:
    However, I do feel like the first and second place teams should have been swapped.
    Agreed. Honestly though, it played out exactly as I expected it to since the conclusion of last week's episode. There were no surprises here.

^Agreed. I think it casts a bit of an aura of uncertainly over the decision to keep all three teams as Tyler and Amy would have been eliminated. I'm not saying the fix is on, as they certainly deserved to win it and I had them pegged as the eventual champions from the second episode, but I definitely raised an eyebrow. 
    Keeping all three felt like more of a move to keep things interesting and to have more to look at. I don't see it as a secret conspiracy. They could have easily chosen to eliminate S&J last week and said they liked Hoth better and that would be a lot simpler. 
    ReesesPiecesPaperballparkstlux
    I agree, and three teams in the finale was way more interesting than two. I absolutely loves S&J's build, personally.  I do wish we'd have gotten to see more of the rest of Tyler and Amy's build, especially the base of the towers and the landscaping, rather than just the top with the focus on the Griffin.