Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Masters TV competition on Fox.

Comments

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,468
    I expected tyler and amy's bridge to be top 3. Sure, building a thick stack of bricks isn't amazing engineering but it's still strong, then you need the curve right so the weight gets diverted towards the pillars. Wonder if adding more pillars was ok?
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 855
    I did think that Tyler and Amy's bridge was 'pretty' with the butterflies and all but the pretty wasn't very bridge like while the aesthetic appeal of the Bearded Builder's was very bridge like.

That's basically how I saw it. Aesthetically, both bridges looked great, but the aesthetics of Tyler and Amy's bridge were mostly a facade (merely SNOTted onto the otherwise rather plain exterior of their bridge), whereas Mark and Boone's bridge let the natural beauty of its geometry and structure shine.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,955
    I did think that Tyler and Amy's bridge was 'pretty' with the butterflies and all but the pretty wasn't very bridge like while the aesthetic appeal of the Bearded Builder's was very bridge like.
    Tyler and Amy’s bridge was classically “bridge-like”. There are similar bridges and aqueducts still standing after 2000 years.
    benbacardipharmjodJern92
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 152
    @Astrobricks But they aren't decorated with huge butterflies. Tyler & Amy get the weight part of the task but I think they missed out on the aesthetics which was just stuck on not a part of the bridge.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    They aren't really decorated with anything. Yet they still stand. Stone bridges are some of the earliest man made bridges in human history. The show should have figured out how to keep adding weights. I think Tyler and Amy's bridge would have ultimately won. Both were cool though. 
    KungFuKennyPyrobugSumoLegoAstrobricksbenbacardiKeilupSteveG
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    The crack on the ends of the Bearded Bridge, I would argue, wouldn't have that much effect on the sturdiness of the center of the design.

Nonetheless, it is clear to me that Tyler/Amy have a 'Golden Brick' in that they inadvertently destroyed a challenge in which they should not have fared well.

It really comes down to if the Beards can avoid a major conceptual disaster, or if the boys avoid another major hissy-fit/confident disaster.

The other teams are good, but a cut below those three pairs.
    benbacardipxchrispharmjodKungFuKennycatwrangler
    SumoLego said:
    Nonetheless, it is clear to me that Tyler/Amy have a 'Golden Brick' in that they inadvertently destroyed a challenge in which they should not have fared well.
    That is spot on. They also did it with 25 minutes less time than the others and after abandoning their initial ideas. This competition is theirs to lose. 
    KungFuKennybandit778catwrangler
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,114
    I would actually like to see their build from start to finish (as they built it) as from a couple of shots of the underside it wasn't just stacked bricks, it looked to incorporate plates and bricks in varying ways and I'm genuinely interested in how it was put together to withstand the weight it did.
    pharmjod said:
     This competition is theirs to lose. 
    Totally agree. They haven't hit a duff note yet.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 855
    pharmjod said:
    They aren't really decorated with anything. Yet they still stand. Stone bridges are some of the earliest man made bridges in human history. The show should have figured out how to keep adding weights. I think Tyler and Amy's bridge would have ultimately won. Both were cool though. 
    Adding additional weight at that point might have been deemed a hazard—if the bridge were to fail under over 1000 pounds of pressure, parts could potentially snap and/or go flying at high velocity and in unpredictable directions.

As for the aesthetics, looking at Tyler and Amy's bridge again... it doesn't even particularly LOOK like a stone bridge. If it had nailed that aesthetic (with tessellated stonework and bricks following the arc of the bridge) it'd be one thing, but beneath the layers of plants you could tell that the exterior was mostly hastily assembled overlapping plates in a variety of greys and with little rhyme or reason as to the shape or color of exposed sections. Mark and Boone's bridge was much more deliberate in its use of color and pattern.

catwrangler
    Lyichir said:. 
    Adding additional weight at that point might have been deemed a hazard—if the bridge were to fail under over 1000 pounds of pressure, parts could potentially snap and/or go flying at high velocity and in unpredictable directions.
    That's why I said they should have figured it out. It's not live television. Clear the room and get a fork lift or something to gently sit the weights on it. It would have made for much more compelling drama than "do you even understand LEGO". 
    Pyrobugbandit778
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 92
    edited March 17
    Lyichir said:

Not to mention concerns for the integrity of the building itself. 

This came up during our interview with Will Arnett while on set.  He mentioned that two teams maxed out the weight load, and that it surprised everyone, considering in the previous LEGO Masters series all the bridges had failed at much lower weights.  That was why they didn't have that much weight on hand for the filming.  I didn't include that in the original interview published in January for obvious reasons.
    Astrobricksstluxbandit778560HeliportpxchrisKeilupjnscoelhoSumoLegocatwrangler
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,114
    MeganL said

This came up during our interview with Will Arnett while on set.  He mentioned that two teams maxed out the weight load, and that it surprised everyone, considering in the previous LEGO Masters series all the bridges had failed at much lower weights.  That was why they didn't have that much weight on hand for the filming. 
    Another reason I think Tyler and Amy should have won.
    For a build with no technic in it to withstand that amount of weight with no apparent cracks of signs of fatigue was remarkable.
    I don't honestly think that Mark and Boon's bridge wouldn't have lasted with much more weight being added as it had visible cracks at the point where it joined the side pillars.

KungFuKenny
  • SteveGSteveG TNMember Posts: 33
    When I built bridges in our structural engineering class in college we used a press that simply ramped up pressure until the bridge failed. For many of us it turned into a model building test rather than a structural test. It was a safe and controlled test. 

Which doesn't translate into exciting TV with bits flying everywhere. There they should have never had people standing there adding weight by hand. You could clearly see the plexi walls fail and let the weights out. I can think of several ways that test could have been done safer and more exciting than the way they did it.

Of the two bridges, I preferred Amy and Tyler's. I thought it had a very cool old world look to it. I get why Mark and Boon won, I just don't agree with the judges.
    pharmjodKungFuKennydatsunrobbie
    I think aaron said he taught bridge engineering? How come two guys with no clue can do much better?
    SumoLego
    edited March 18
    How does that quote go... "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches."
    ModeltrainmanpharmjodKungFuKennydatsunrobbieJern92
  • tspiketspike Hood River, ORMember Posts: 27
    On first watch, I thought Tyler and Amy should’ve won, but on a second watch I changed my mind. The back side of Tyler and Amy’s is completely undecorated, and it just isn’t as visually striking as Mark and Boone’s. I agree they should’ve found a way to test past 1,000lb, but in the absence of that, both bridges held the same weight, which leaves aesthetics.

Excited for the Mr Book Chicken episode 😂
    KungFuKenny
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    Just watched today's episode and now I'm feeling really sad because my favourite team went home. I actually really liked their build, which has a different style compared to the other contestants, but ultimately I guess the judges really wanted bigger 3D models.
    panchox1
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,927
    My whole LUG is sad they went home. They represented us proudly.
    SumoLegoReesesPieces
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,366
    At this point any team is going to be tough to see leave, they are all really good and this many episodes in they all feel like favorite characters in a way. 

I think the most impressive for me is the turn-around of Sam and Jessica going from bottom 2 and all their drama (probably mostly manufactured/exaggerated for TV but still they struggled to get stuff done early on) to making some really great builds.
    SumoLegoMCNwakeboardReesesPiecesstluxKungFuKenny
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 407
    I really liked their build as well. it had a fun 2d video game vibe. kinda like "Paper Mario".
    Jern92
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 597
    You could tell the smaller guy of the 2 (yellow shirt) didn't like kids.
    I'm glad we won't have to see them hug & snivel over each other anymore.
    daewoo
    You guys are from the same LUG? That's so cool!
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,927
    Jern92 said:
    You guys are from the same LUG? That's so cool!
    Yes! Flynn is our Vice President!
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 407
    gelkster said:
    You could tell the smaller guy of the 2 (yellow shirt) didn't like kids.
    Watched the episode again tonight with my daughter, just didnt see anything to make me think this.
    SumoLegoAstrobricksstluxericb
    There was that one part where Nicole Byer had the cattle prod...
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 179
    I wish they would stop the stunt casting with guest "celebs". They add nothing to the show. I always ask who or why? when they are announced.
    PyrobugAstrobricksMCNwakeboardReesesPiecesKungFuKennytomahawker
    dehnehsu said:
    I wish they would stop the stunt casting with guest "celebs". They add nothing to the show. I always ask who or why? when they are announced.
    I am super excited for Terry Crews next week though! Love that guy.
    SteveGpxchrisLyichirpharmjod
    dehnehsu said:
    I have no idea who Nicole Byer or Terry Crews are. So, not impressed. Obviously just Fox promoting other shows.
    klintonbenbacardidatsunrobbieKungFuKenny
    dehnehsu said:
    I have no idea who Nicole Byer or Terry Crews are. So, not impressed. Obviously just Fox promoting other shows.
    Well, I don't feel so ignorant any more! I had no clue who those people were!

benbacardidatsunrobbieKungFuKenny
    Nicole Byers is from a Netflix reality show. She is hilarious!
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 282
    I’d much prefer LEGO designers like Marcos Bessa or Top MOCers https://rebrickable.com/designers/
    panchox1KungFuKenny
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 839
    It was a bummer to see them go home. At this point, I feel that way about all of the teams though. But Richard & Flynn's clock build is still one of my favorites from the entire show. I'm still team #beardedbuilders all the way to the end of their road though!
    KungFuKennyJern92
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,103
    I like the “bearded builders” model also but for me nothing topped that Carrot Monster for sheer size and impact... 
    Pyrobugbandit778stluxBumblepantsReesesPiecesSumoLegopxchrispanchox1catwrangler
    I thought it was close for the 2 best teams, but balancing 3 floating islands is pretty impressive.
    KungFuKenny
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,856
    I'm definitely cheering for the Beards to win it all, but I too thought that Carrot Monster was incredible. I agree with the comment that they made a highly complex build look effortless. 
    ReesesPiecesKungFuKennypxchrisPyrobug
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 925
    edited March 23
    I like the beards too, especially their lumberjack theme park but I feel like the newlyweds are on a different level!  They are just so well rounded, succeeding in every challenge.
    KungFuKennypxchrisPyrobugbandit778SumoLegoJern92
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    Did anybody notice that on this week’s show, the commercial break right before the final judging had an ad for Lego Masters returning in two weeks and showed the final three teams?
    ModeltrainmanBumblepantsMCNwakeboard
    Did anybody notice that on this week’s show, the commercial break right before the final judging had an ad for Lego Masters returning in two weeks and showed the final three teams?
    Yes, made it clear who was going to be back and who would be gone.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 686
    ^^when I watched it that ad was right after the show had ended
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 839
    Well, I'm definitely surprised by one of the teams that are in the top three.
    Pyrobug
  • PyrobugPyrobug Louisville, KyMember Posts: 179
    ^They were so lucky to make it as far as they did.
    pharmjod
    edited March 26
    It would be a massive upset if they survive the next round. Bummed we have to wait an extra week for the next episode. 
    pxchrisPyrobug
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 564
    edited March 26
    I'm really surprised by the build that Christian and Aaron did for superheroes. The base was well built but lacked pizzazz. The underground cave looked like tons of batcaves we've all seen. Once they locked in on the programmer being a teacher and having a bake sale I was concerned.
    They were sent home, if you haven't seen it.

I think the team with the weakest theme knowledge will lose the next round.

BumblepantsSirBenPyrobug
    edited March 27
    That bake sale thing had me scratching my head as soon as they mentioned it. 
    And no spoiler in the ad break for me :)

I’m really excited for the SW builds next time!
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 686
    The part of the episode where they explain their bake sale to Tyler and Amy was the best part of the entire show. 
    pharmjodSumoLegodaewooReesesPiecesmsanders
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 48
    The SW builds may actually be a lot more of a challenge.  So far all the builds have been themes which could be left open to the creative (or lack of creative) interpretation of the contestants.  The SW build will be different in that the models will have to accurately represent something that already exists. You won't be able have a TIE fighter with butterfly wings or a Batmobile/AT-AT mashup. 

Of course they may just throw something like that in as the "curve" halfway through the show.  :)
    Pyrobug
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,856
    Based on the trailer for the next episode, they're certainly making it seem like one team is struggling more than others (...are we really trying not to spoil things 4 pages into this thread still?). 

Two of the three final teams are definitely the strongest and deserve to be there. I think that was evident from episode one.
    pxchrisPyrobug
    I’m sure they sought out some struggling to make the teaser better.
    Pyrobugstlux
    I am really hoping there is at least one person who is like "omg I've never seen a Star War! What do I do?!"
    Pyrobug560Heliportpanchox1
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,609
    That might turn out to be the best build! Someone with no preconceived notions of what a SW build "must" or "ought to" look like.