Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This year's employee Christmas gift revealed

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 952
edited December 2019 in Brickset.com articles
This year's employee Christmas gift revealed

Since 2008 LEGO employees have received an awesome gift at Christmas in the form of an exclusive set, often tied in with a significant anniversary in the company's history.

Matthew Ashton, VP of Design, tweeted a picture of this year's set yesterday but as a courtesy to employees who are yet to receive it I won't post a photo above the fold of this article to avoid spoiling the surprise.

So, continue reading if you wish to see it.

Continue reading »

© 2019 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Source: 47493

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,725
    Not sure if this has been seen yet, I don’t think so, but have just been passed this image, claiming to be this year’s Employee set.

Santa’s X-Wing, to commemorate 20 years of Star Wars?

• Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,688
    That is an awesome gift!
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,399
    Are you taking the mickey out of us?!?!
    If for real, well than that is one fantastic gift to get!
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 846
    I’m getting exclusive minifigure twitches and tics as we speak
    klintonMr_CrossAleyditakiki180703
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 818
    The 20th Anniversary collectors are going to lose it. 
    KungFuKennyBumblepantsMr_Crossmak0137mattytreksJackad7kiki180703Adzbadboy
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,410
    edited November 2019
    Now that's cool! Could use a little green in there as well.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,281
    edited November 2019
    Good grief...
    I want this!
    BrickByBrickKungFuKennyBumblepantsgmonkey76FowlerBrickskiki180703Adzbadboy
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 410
    edited November 2019
    That's... oh my. I should've gotten a LEGO job. 
    DoktorL
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 987
    And to think we thought Poe's "Halloween" X-Wing was just a joke!
    KungFuKenny
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 528
    I think your going to need deep pockets if your thinking of getting one of these on eBay.. must be the best employee set I’ve seen! And will be very popular with the collectors! 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,142
    Given it is Christmas, they could have put in some Christmas Special minifigures. Such as Chewbacca in an apron, from that scene cooking bantha loins.

• BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,041
    I call BS. Surely Lego wouldn't want to piss off all the Star Wars fans that badly? The box art does look pretty legit though. I guess the absence of any other more likely-lookng leaks could be rather telling.
    That pic almost looks like it's from a designer video or other marketing material. Does Lego do stuff like that for the employee set? I'd have they'd just hand them out.
    If this new X-wing proves popular, it's probably not too late for JJ Abrams to try to shove it into Episode 9.
    KungFuKennyPyrobugkiki180703
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,037
    It's pucker. There's an ebay listing you can find via stonewars.de and it has a picture of Kirk Kjeld holding the set.
    It looks like a nice set, highly collectible, but could you really open it to build? I'm not sure this is actually 'fun' for collectors.
    If I hadn't given up "collecting" Star Wars LEGO, I'd be pretty irritable right now... phew!
    KungFuKennySnizzlebuttsomnium
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,373
    Love the candy cane cannons.
    KungFuKenny
    Mr_Cross said:
    It's pucker. There's an ebay listing you can find via stonewars.de
    Wow! I can't wait to see how much it goes for. I think I'd only be really bummed if it had an exclusive minifigure. At least anyone who wants one could build it themselves (as I think that should be a priority with exclusive sets). Not even the cockpit has had a recolour.
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 465
    I think it looks great, these employee sets are often a highlight for me and this is no different. Having only just acquired the Santa and sleigh from last year I suspect this will be much more expensive........
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,399
    edited November 2019
    What I find curious, how is it that there is someone here on the marketplace section, who says you can reserve one when you send him/her a PM?!?!
    Sure, some employees might sell them, but reserving a copy of this set in advance?!

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,344

Sure, some employees might sell them, but reserving a copy of this set in advance?!
    Surely an employee (or close friend/family member of an employee) who knows they're getting one and is lining up a sale in advance?
    Mr_CrossSumoLegokiki180703
    edited December 2019
    New pic.

@Huw @CapnRex101

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,281
    edited December 2019
    @Legoboy - Thank you. We usually wait for everyone at LEGO to have received the gift before adding an image to the database or publishing an article.
    Huw
    The main thing I'd be gutted about would be if this had an exclusive helmet print. But it just seems to be a regular motorbike helmet with trans-red visor.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 594
    The main thing I'd be gutted about would be if this had an exclusive helmet print. But it just seems to be a regular motorbike helmet with trans-red visor.
    You know you still want it...b/c I do. :)
    edited December 2019
    Regardless of licensing, I find it odd that Lego is using another company's IP as an exclusive employee gift. I really can't believe that employees of Disney or Lucasfilm wouldn't have access to this set should they want it.
    Gooker1 said:
    You know you still want it...b/c I do. :)
    I still want it, but like 1980s Heather Locklear, I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't ever have it.
    Switchfoot55560Heliportobi_ggmonkey76kiki180703sid3windr
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 388
    Well this is labelled as a 20th Anniversary set but it will be so limited it might be good we have BrickLink, oh wait: 

• lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 42
    edited December 2019
    I'm torn here...
    Classic, cutesy LEGO whimsy.  Honors LEGO employees in a unique way.
    ...but the cynic in me asks:  So they're going to apply this quirky 'Advent Calendar' style goofiness to a full-sized SW set...of another X-wing?  Waste of resources and a missed opportunity for the 20th Anniversary.  The Slave I aside, the 20th wave was a big nothing, IMHO
    Too salty??
    Lordmoral
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 388
    lowlead said:
    I'm torn here...
    Classic, cutesy LEGO whimsy.  Honors LEGO employees in a unique way.
    ...but the cynic in me asks:  So they're going to apply this quirky 'Advent Calendar' style goofiness to a full-sized SW set...of another X-wing?  Waste of resources and a missed opportunity for the 20th Anniversary.  The Slave I aside, the 20th wave was a big nothing, IMHO
    Too salty??
    The Imperial Dropship and AT-RT were great seat however, it needed things like a new Tie Bomber.
    yyyep
    Lordmoral

Lordmoral
    WHAT?  No Gingerbread pilot for the Winter Village X-wing??
    Advent Calendar 'whimsy' is one thing, but this is goofy and a wasted opportunity for a really good 20th Anniversary set...of something other than an X-wing.  
    Lordmoral
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,447

Surely an employee (or close friend/family member of an employee) who knows they're getting one and is lining up a sale in advance?
       I believe Lego does sell the extra sets they produce locally. When I bought my copy of last years Christmas set the seller left their receipt in the bag when he sent it to me. If I remember correctly it cost him something like $17 US. 
    TheBigLegoskiLordmoral
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 282
    This is quite simply a must buy for me. I'm not a Lego Star Wars collector, but I am a Star Wars fan. I also collect the Winter Village sets, and this will look great under the tree, next to the village!
    Lordmoral
    Yultitude!

I like it, and the X-wing is perfect for such a set. It is a shame they badged it as 20th Anniversary as that will piss off collectors wanting to be "20th Anniversary complete".
    LordmoralSumoLego
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,500
    Youl-too-tude???
    Lordmoral
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,352
    CCC said:
    It is a shame they badged it as 20th Anniversary as that will piss off collectors wanting to be "20th Anniversary complete".
    Yeah, those silly completionist people!
    Fireheart
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 429
    I'd love to get one of these but the prices on ebay have me worried. There is currently one listed for $285 with one bid and $60 shipping. Not to mention all of the ones that sold for $300 or more.
    ^ Sausages get everywhere.

stluxdrdavewatfordSumoLegopxchrisMr_Cross
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 846
    Or just use those new clear superhero stand pieces instead of the clear bricks and sausage
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,352
    Hmmm... mid-air sausage refueling.  Remarkable!
    AstrobricksMr_Cross
  • billyneonbillyneon Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone out there with this set willing to share the inventory / scans of the parts pages in the manual so we can build our own. Love the design but can't pay £250 for it...
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 582
    edited January 4
    billyneon said:
    Is there anyone out there with this set willing to share the inventory / scans of the parts pages in the manual so we can build our own. Love the design but can't pay £250 for it...
    Here you go @billyneon

http://www.newelementary.com/2020/01/lego-x-wing-instructions-download-christmas-4002019.html
    KungFuKennyAddicted2OxygenLegoboyBumblepantsWookie2bandit778MaffyD