Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Used Lego set - doesn't 'click/stick/stay'

colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 392
edited December 3 in Everything else LEGO
Morning all,

Bought a used AMG Speed Champions from BrickLink, mainly as I needed parts for my GT3 MOC (see other threads). Anyway, received it, all packed nice, separated into colours and all good. I went to make the instructions build, to see if all parts there, and bar one incorrect wheel cap, it's all good.

However. The parts are shocking at staying together. It is a struggle not to knock one part off, when putting a new part on. The whole thing I will be suprised if it stays together when stationary, let alone (god forbid) it gets played with lol. Now, I am not going to blame the seller, as I don't think I can. It could be an old one of theirs, or of course, they could have bought from someone else. But, what has caused this?

poor plastic? Lots of rebuids? temperature? or is this a known thing and Im late to the party?

I've plenty of Lego from used stores etc, but never had anything like this

Thanks

Comments

• milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 580
    edited December 3
    colay said:
    Morning all,

Bought a used AMG Speed Champions from BrickLink, mainly as I needed parts for my GT3 MOC (see other threads). Anyway, received it, all packed nice, separated into colours and all good. I went to make the instructions build, to see if all parts there, and bar one incorrect wheel cap, it's all good.

However. The parts are shocking at staying together. It is a struggle not to knock one part off, when putting a new part on. The whole thing I will be suprised if it stays together when stationary, let alone (god forbid) it gets played with lol. Now, I am not going to blame the seller, as I don't think I can. It could be an old one of theirs, or of course, they could have bought from someone else. But, what has caused this?

poor plastic? Lots of rebuids? temperature? or is this a known thing and Im late to the party?

I've plenty of Lego from used stores etc, but never had anything like this

Thanks
    Can't help with why, but I have exactly the same issue with one of my Spongebob sets. Initially assumed it was a knock off, but all the bricks have Lego logos. No grip at all. Never had another set like it. That was used as well. The only thing I'd say is that condition is too good for it be the result of many re-builds I'd think
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 297
    I've noticed lately that some sets seem to have poor clutch power, with bricks randomly lifting up over time and needing to be reapplied with pressure. I can't help wondering if LEGO is beginning to suffer a drop in QC due to where it is manufactured and how long the molds have been in existence.
    Charmiefcbgmonkey76mafon
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 392
    It's certainly first time Ive noticed aything like it. Feel quite let down by it, and the price isnt the sellers fault (I bought it) but its annoying that it feels so bad :(
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,612
    edited December 3
    I have that set, and I have to say I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with the clutch. Mind you, I haven't had a look at it for quite some time. I'll see if I can check it again...
    Edit: you did mean Mercedes-AMG GT3 #75877 didn't you?
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 392
    Yes :)
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 805
    I have noticed this with sets that get left in hot areas.  For example, if it gets left in a hot car over the summer for a few hours, the clutch will permanently loosen and can't be fixed without heroic efforts.  From my experience it requires a pretty significant amount of heat or a significant amount of time (or both) in order to really deform the bricks enough, and it doesn't generally effect non-assembled bricks, only those that are put under stress by assembly.   I do think the same effects can happen when a set is put together for a long time, but by that I mean a LONG time.  Like... decades+, as I've had a number of sets that were together for years that didn't have much if any permanent deformation.
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 736
    I was rearranging my built up sets to make space for the Batmobile and #70837 literally crumbled apart in my hands when I picked it up. I've picked it up before with no issue, but it def doesn't feel solid like it used to. The connections feel... soft? I dunno how to describe it. I rebuilt it, and it holds together on a shelf, but picking it up is tenuous.
    This is the only set I've ever had this issue with. I assumed it was a production issue with the pastel bricks? Those connections seem to be where it's not 'sticking'. That wouldn't be the case with your set though, so I dunno.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 927
    I've noticed that sets I build when new, then leave assembled for a long time, at least a couple years, seem to loosen. It sometimes helps to disassemble them, wash them in hot water, then let them sit for a few months, and they seem to 'recover' the clutch power somewhat. I think. Maybe.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,497
    Wow I am worried about some of my display masterpieces nows!
    gmonkey76
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 531
    ^ You & me both.  I’ve never experienced this even with decades old sets, but I do have a few that I’ve left assembled for long enough that I should disassemble them.
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 92
    I've had this issue with the medieval market village. Left assembled for quite a while. Took apart to move it, was in a hot moving truck for less than a day. After that it had very little clutch and a lot of the pieces broke completely.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,497
    In the summer my Lego room gets the after noon sun and I keep the door closed to keep pets out! @shikadi how hot was this truck???
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 393
    edited December 4
    Were any of these sets exposed to prolonged sunlight? I would not expect a brand new 2019 set (the LM2 set above) to start disintegrating though, that could be a manufacturing issue.
    Fizyx
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 526
    Interestingly, I had the reverse issue with one of the "gatling gun" pieces that represent the top leg joint on the AT-ST Raider set for The Mandalorian. To the human eye, it looks perfectly fine. But try to stick any Technic axle or connector pin into the respective sockets and they get jammed almost immediately! It seemed like the machining tolerances on the sockets were set too tight, making the holes just a few microns too narrow to allow for other pieces to connect to the part in question. I had Lego send me a replacement, but it was so bizarre. Broken pieces are one thing, but ones with too much clutch power? What is the System coming to?
  • MalkanMalkan COMember Posts: 33
    I had the same thing happen with a used #76032 I bought a while back. I took it apart, washed it, then let it sit unassembled for almost a year with no extreme temperatures. At the time I disassembled it I didn't notice any issues. Then when I went to put it back together many pieces felt loose and didn't grip that well. There were even two that had no clutch at all.

I have no idea why it happened and there was no common theme like only one color or part had the issue. I also do the same process with a bunch of sets so I didn't handle them any different. Since it was used I can't say how the prior owners treated it, but it was in great shape and had no fading from being in the sun or anything.  It was weird and I've never had this happen before for a whole set.
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 92
    TheFew said:
    In the summer my Lego room gets the after noon sun and I keep the door closed to keep pets out! @shikadi how hot was this truck???
    No air conditioning, closed moving truck in texas summer. I'd imagine a lot hotter than the afternoon sun.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,487
    For sets that have remained assembled for a number of years, I'm not terribly surprised that clutch power is compromised. Back in the 70s, when I was first playing with Lego, we built stuff, then tore it apart and built other stuff. Companies like Monogram, Airfix and Tamiya made model kits that we glued together for display.