Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO acquires BrickLink

Comments

• CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 269
    I had to agree to the lengthy new terms of service and privacy policy before I was allowed to enter the site and then got a "General Error" message for everything I tried to do next! I'm having nightmare flashbacks of the V.I.P. Reward Centre re-vamp that locked me out for three months...  
    Lordmoral
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,139
    It appears to only come up with the error whilst logged in which is handy.
    Not logged in you can browse till you're hearts content.
    Lordmoral
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,343
    No problem for me browsing BL (sets/shops/wanted lists/parts), either when logged in or not. Tried on both mobile and desktop.

Reading the BL forums, it seems there's some intermittent issues since the new TOS came into effect. Not sure I'd blame TLG IT for the issue though, as they only take ownership of the site on Jan 01.
    LordmoralPyrobug
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,519
    Inventories on Bricklink are working fine for me.
    @stlux, It was meant as vague attempt at a joke (although probably stronger worded than intended) due to the issues they have maintaining their own website.
    Saying that, the issue only started after the new TOS were required to be agreed to and they are definitely influenced by TLG regardless of when they take over officially. 
    Lordmorallkliment2
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 545
    Yeah, working fine when logged in here, too.

I can fully understand why LEGO are preventing sales of IP protected material. It's just far too grey, legally. There are other places to sell them, and those sites will likely see a rise in traffic as a result. I suspect they'll have more plans than just the removal of features we like though.

The main change I want (aside from the ability to bulk order a batch of rare pieces to be remade) is for them to get rid of the daily maintenance downtime. So many times I've been working through inventories or researching things, only to have to stop part for 10 minutes while they do whatever they do.
    LordmoralKingAlanI
  • DoktorLDoktorL Member Posts: 105
    edited December 2019
    Sorry if this is a stupid question: Is there any reason not to sign the new Terms of Service etc? English is not my first language and I only understand a fraction of it. That's why I am not sure of whether or not to sign it. I have a Bricklink Store to sell surplus parts and small sets I have extras of and of course to buy parts for MOCs. Now I cannot sign in to even close my store over Xmas but my stuff is still offered. What if someone places an order while I can't sign in? Thank you!
    Lordmoral
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 607
    Tried looking something up last night (I use BL as a reference daily) & got a dimmed blue screen with a cookie warning & wouldnt allow me to proceed.
    Lordmoral
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 705
    This Thread will be used to Document Bricklink changes from here on out, keep the discussion friendly.
    DoktorL said:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question: Is there any reason not to sign the new Terms of Service etc? English is not my first language and I only understand a fraction of it. That's why I am not sure of whether or not to sign it. I have a Bricklink Store to sell surplus parts and small sets I have extras of and of course to buy parts for MOCs. Now I cannot sign in to even close my store over Xmas but my stuff is still offered. What if someone places an order while I can't sign in? Thank you!
    It states legal things now that Lego owns Bricklink but I would suggest a translator for a much easier time. If anyone is willing to sit and explain so please do it respectfully.
    Just as a heads up for anyone still suffering the problem, I contacted the site help section and told them my issue and the my problem seems to have been sorted out, so all's good.
    Lordmoral
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    edited December 2019
    Reading through the entire new agreement, I was bothered by the language stating that

1) only Lego can be sold (aka, means brickarms and non-Lego branded lighting is not allowed),
    2) only items sold in sets can be sold - does this mean (and legally it does) that parts in rare colors that were not available to the general public are gone and misprinted parts? aka, a niche segment of the collector market is now illegal to buy/sell on a site built by fans?
    3) Chrome parts not sold by Lego are not allowed - another segment of the AFOL community removed from a fan-built marketplace.

Thoughts? Clarity? Did I misread (I did have a long day at work before reading)?

Lordmoral
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 68
    krklint said:
    Reading through the entire new agreement, I was bothered by the language stating that

1) only Lego can be sold (aka, means brickarms and non-Lego branded lighting is not allowed),
    2) only items sold in sets can be sold - does this mean (and legally it does) that parts in rare colors that were not available to the general public are gone and misprinted parts? aka, a niche segment of the collector market is now illegal to buy/sell on a site built by fans?
    3) Chrome parts not sold by Lego are not allowed - another segment of the AFOL community removed from a fan-built marketplace.

Thoughts? Clarity? Did I misread (I did have a long day at work before reading)?

I agree, it's disturbing that the new terms of service set Bricklink (but Lego itself by extension) as the arbiter/gatekeeper of what is and is not "important to the Lego fan community" when in fact Bricklink was originally built by fans, for fans.  These moves are understandable from a narrow legal perspective, which is exactly why everyone was so worried when the acquisition was announced - because it was easy to imagine changes like this coming.  It smacks of bad faith for Lego to buy the largest fan marketplace and then immediately delegitimize niche groups of adult fans by banning their contributions from the marketplace.
    datsunrobbieRecceWrecknbuild
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,313
    edited December 2019
    krklint said:

So, reading between the lines, if it was only released on a PAB wall, not in a set, it's not going to be allowed on BL any more. Kind of glad I bought a few parts when I did now that they can't be sold on BL, now to wait & hope someone else creates a new market where stuff like chrome bricks & non-set released parts becomes available.

So what's TLG next step for BL?

Setting maximum & minimum prices sellers can charge for items? Banning the sale of Polybags? Requiring sellers to upload purchase receipts for all stock? Banning the sale of GWPs? Blacklisting sellers that have more stock of a set than TLG allows to purchase on [email protected]? Banning the sale of Event Exclusives? Requiring sellers to pay a direct percentage of their monthly profits to TLG for using the platform?

It seems that TLG wants make BL less like BL & more like a third party extension of B&P/PAB. I remember someone joking about being a TLG employee now, it seems it might not have been as much of a joke as they thought it was.

I think I'll have to start ripping through my wantlists & buying what I can, while I can...
    Lordmoral
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,808
    I suspect that any genuine unmodified Lego elements will be fine to be sold. I think the part about 'unreleased sets' is to stop sets being sold before they're officially released, if for example someone somehow acquires a retail set a week or two before the official release.

I've not actually seen anything preventing custom elements (i.e. those not replicating an official Lego element) being sold, although they clearly don't want custom prints or modified elements being sold, for example chromed elements.
    KingAlanI
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 607
    I'm still getting the cookie warning
  • LinuxBrickieLinuxBrickie ScotlandMember Posts: 22
    Well, I clicked the "If you do not wish to continue as a registered user of bricklink.com and wish to have your account deleted" link. That was fun, if you click on the forgotten password button it takes you back to the new T&C's so you are screwed if that's the case!

Anyway, I think I've now deleted my account. A pity as I still hadn't recorded a lot of recent purchases in my brickset account. Also, it would have been nice to say thank you to the sellers I've used over the past couple of years on bricklink but there was no opportunity given so I'll do it on brickset instead.

Thank you bricklink sellers! The dedication to perfection in service so far exceeded what I thought would be the case on an independent website. I never failed to be impressed by the quality of the pieces, the packaging and the general helpfulness of sellers. Sorry to be saying goodbye, I hope we meet again elsewhere.

One thing that makes me feel I've made the right decision is that after having terminated my account there wasn't even an email to thank me for my custom. Nothing.

Lordmoral
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,150
    LinuxBrickie said:
    Nothing.
    Not sure what you're expecting.  I wouldn't want an entity bothering me after I canceled my account.  That's the point of cancelling an account - you don't want to be bothered by them.

(And I definitely don't think you can 'fault' LEGO for that, they haven't taken over control of the site.)
    VorpalRyustluxCymbelineBaby_YodamadforLEGOPyrobugsid3windr
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 259
    Indeed, there's a LOT of scaremongering going about, and from my perspective it's hitting us sellers hard. Since the news of the takeover, I've had only 11 orders, and all have been pretty low value. This should be one of the busiest times of year, and one where not only are we making the most of the deals before Christmas and sales afterwards to restock and expand, but also trying to save a bit of money going into what for me is the quietest time of year in the Spring. This year, I'm not even close to having enough money to pay off my tax bill next month, let alone any bills through the Spring where I know income is low anyway. On top of Brexit and the General Election, and resulting low consumer confidence, it's basically meant Christmas is cancelled for me this year, along with any potential down time or expansion of the business in 2020.
    I cannot emphasise enough that, as it stands, for the vast majority of sellers, it is BUSINESS AS NORMAL. Our stores are still open. Our products are still for sale. We can still buy Lego. We can still sell Lego. I'm still planning on spending today parting out sets and uploading them to the store. I would just urge everyone to take a look and if possible purchase not just from my store, but those all good, honest sellers who rely on the income to do the basics in life.

https://store.bricklink.com/DB361&utm_content=globalnav#/splash 
    LordmoralstluxklintonAstrobricksBobflipBaby_YodasnowhitieGlacierfalls265M1J0E
    I have brought parted sets myself (Imperial Conveyex Train without Solo.and Chewie, Foctor Strange Sanctum Santorum without minifigures) to complete LEGO own releases, let's see if we can keep buying and selling them on our own from now on. 
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 872
    DB361 said:
    Indeed, there's a LOT of scaremongering going about, and from my perspective it's hitting us sellers hard. Since the news of the takeover, I've had only 11 orders, and all have been pretty low value. This should be one of the busiest times of year, and one where not only are we making the most of the deals before Christmas and sales afterwards to restock and expand, but also trying to save a bit of money going into what for me is the quietest time of year in the Spring. This year, I'm not even close to having enough money to pay off my tax bill next month, let alone any bills through the Spring where I know income is low anyway. On top of Brexit and the General Election, and resulting low consumer confidence, it's basically meant Christmas is cancelled for me this year, along with any potential down time or expansion of the business in 2020.
    I cannot emphasise enough that, as it stands, for the vast majority of sellers, it is BUSINESS AS NORMAL. Our stores are still open. Our products are still for sale. We can still buy Lego. We can still sell Lego. I'm still planning on spending today parting out sets and uploading them to the store. I would just urge everyone to take a look and if possible purchase not just from my store, but those all good, honest sellers who rely on the income to do the basics in life.

https://store.bricklink.com/DB361&utm_content=globalnav#/splash 
    Perhaps people aren't buying because of your illegal terms?

"Change of mind ... will not be refunded"
    "I accept NO RESPONSIBILITY for any lost or damaged items in transit"

Maybe, maybe not. Potential customers are easily lost.
    LinuxBrickieLordmoralsid3windr
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,808
    In UK law, lost/damaged items are the responsibility of the online seller. Saying otherwise is basically ignoring the law and saying you're willing to break it.
    KingAlanI
    edited December 2019
    I would presume that there'd be a rash of buying and better bargains if even a segment of the buyer and seller market believe that the sky is falling.

Get your parts now, before you have to revert to eBay, BrickOwl, or through independent websites!!!  Panic, panic!!!
    andhemadforLEGOLordmoral
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 259
    ^^ I've deleted the line about the lost or damaged items - needless to say on the couple of rare occasions I have had a claim for a lost item I have of course gone through the proper channels of claiming from the Royal Mail and refunding the buyer.
    Lordmoral
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 898
    ^ you might find you get more orders now. I have deleted rather chunky baskets and went elsewhere on more than one occasion when i spot a term like that.

Im surprised this time of year would be busy as people are too busy with xmas to moc and possibly not wanting to order so close to xmas.  There have also been lots of good set deals this Christmas so it could be peoples cash is going there.
    gmonkey76andheLordmoral
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    DB361 said:
    Indeed, there's a LOT of scaremongering going about, and from my perspective it's hitting us sellers hard.
    See, guys, we were right. Our self-fulfilling prophecy turned out to be true.
    BumblepantsklintonLordmoral
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,188
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Which is literally always the case, in nearly every arena. People are by and large mindless sheep, and the slightest whiff of speculation (positive or negative) always leads to a massive stampede or exodus. It's a bit unnerving, just how much power offhand comments posted online actually wield.
    I think this is why I find the front page comments sections so off putting. I just picture the ripple effects of their overwhelming negativity toward everything Lego does. I much prefer these forums wherein people seem to be generally level headed and enthusiasic about the hobby (with a few exceptions, of course).
    BumblepantsSumoLegoBaby_YodaPyrobugdatsunrobbieLordmoralKungFuKennyGlacierfalls265KingAlanI
    edited December 2019
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Only because you said it was.

And the cycle continues in the AFOL echo chamber...
    klinton said:
    ...always leads to a massive stampede or exodus...
    I am reporting that I am the only person possessing TLM2 CMF Watermelon Guy.  I will sell you one with the stamp of the Princess of Canada, for the one-time exclusive price of all of the money you have available, and what you can raise on Facebook, Instagram and GoFundMe.  

This offer is limited to as many as I deem appropriate.
    VorpalRyuBaby_YodaLordmoralAyliffeGlacierfalls2657BS
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,188
    SumoLego said:
    I am reporting that I am the only person possessing TLM2 CMF Watermelon Guy.  I will sell you one with the stamp of the Princess of Canada, for the one-time exclusive price of all of the money you have available, and what you can raise on Facebook, Instagram and GoFundMe. 

Baaaaaa! The Princess of Canada, you say? Celine Dion herself?! I'll take two!
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuBaby_YodaLordmoralsid3windr
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 582
    Wait, I'm sorry, why is Bricklink being bought by LEGO seemingly seen as the sky falling? Not sure I understand.
    SumoLegoDB361Lordmoral
    edited December 2019
    klinton said:
    Baaaaaa! The Princess of Canada, you say? Celine Dion herself?! I'll take two!
    Okay, first - I would have been referring to Anne Murray.  But, I was actually making a silly Dr. Evil referrence.
    Wait, I'm sorry, why is Bricklink being bought by LEGO seemingly seen as the sky falling? Not sure I understand.
    No selling instructions for non-licencee IP, no custom chrome parts, no custom approximations of firearms or military equipment, etc., etc., etc... it's time to panic if you resell retired sets, employee gifts, prototype parts or anything that LEGO deems not appropriate.  Panic panic, my hair is on fire...
    klintonVorpalRyuBaby_YodaLordmoralModeltrainmangmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005

I've not actually seen anything preventing custom elements (i.e. those not replicating an official Lego element) being sold, although they clearly don't want custom prints or modified elements being sold, for example chromed elements.
    It is in the seller terms:

Section 1.2.1 LEGO Brand Only: All items listed for sale must be LEGO brand products unless they fall into either of the two categories listed below – 1.2.5 (Custom Sets) or 1.2.6 (Non LEGO Items). Other brands of building toys are not permitted.

1.2.6 doesn't add anything to help - this is for custom boxes, packaging and stickers for custom sets = add to get round the problem of non-official LEGO Bricklink's AFOL programme sets.
    LordmoralBaby_YodamadforLEGO
    bandit778 said:
    I understand the nature of the problem, but a good percentage of the designs on Bricklink aren't being sold, just shared for free with the community, yet are still subject to the 'display only' rule concerning the IP (mind included, which was only designed for a competition on this forum and only uploaded to the STUDIO gallery so a fellow member could download the file and instructions). 
    Which I think is the right thing to do. LEGO cannot give away (for free) instructions for IPs they do not own, then profit from the sale of the bricks to make those sets.

SumoLegoLordmoral
    At some stage I would not be surprised for them to change what the name of the Minifigures category. There are many items in there that are not minifigures according to LEGO. I can see them changing the name of that section to Characters or similar, to get around the definition of what a minifigure is. Their website and other literature is clear that droids, unikitties, etc are not minifigures. Yet if they are listed as such on another LEGO owned site, then it means the term minifigure no longer only applies to traditional minifigures and with the weakening of the definition other companies may be allowed to call their brick-built and other figures minifigures instead.
    Lordmoral
  • WrecknbuildWrecknbuild NetherlandsMember Posts: 4
    Well, I sure hope they just anonimously process all the data, and then sell BrickLink back to a wealthy AFOL.
    I already opened a BrickOwl account after the announcement, just in case. And I am definitely going to use it now, after the updated TOS.

The collaboration between Brickset and LEGO probably prevented any critical article on the home page on the updated user agreement. That seems like a drawback on a too close connection.
    Promobricks.de and stonewars.de (two German fan sites) both issued articles in which they were not very positive on the latest update.
    LinuxBrickiePyrobugLordmoral
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 648
    edited December 2019

I, and many others, rely on the BL catalog and inventories as the gold standard for maintaining accurate set inventories and lists of parts.  If TLG decides that they don't need this anymore and remove this information from public access, then we'll be very disappointed and a portion of our AFOL hobbies will be majorly disrupted.  I have seen no evidence that TLG cares one wit about the accuracy of their past or retired products too this extent, so this is a real (but hopefully unlikely?) scenario to consider.  Transfer of the catalog information and pictures to a neutral, fan-based site that has some incentive to maintain such a treasure trove of information is the best way to make sure it's available for anyone who wants to use it in the future, but short of another independent marketplace becoming the new inventory gold standard I'm not sure what the best solution will be.  Based on my experience, relying on a major corporation with no vested interest to maintain something simply for the good of the hobby is not the best bet to make...

From the buying and selling perspective, portions of the AFOL hobby experience will again be disrupted to some extent, and those who care will be rightfully upset about it. It's the nature of the world to change, and it's in the nature of some of us to not enjoy all the change that we have to deal with, even though it might seem to be a better deal for the majority.
    LordmoralModeltrainmanbandit778sklambgmonkey76gelkstermadforLEGOJackad7
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,334
    SumoLego said:

Wait... I think I have one of those coming from you— do I get the stamp?  Or at least a marzipan voodoo effigy of the Fonz?
    Lordmoral
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 582

I, and many others, rely on the BL catalog and inventories as the gold standard for maintaining accurate set inventories and lists of parts.  If TLG decides that they don't need this anymore and remove this information from public access, then we'll be very disappointed and a portion of our AFOL hobbies will be majorly disrupted.  I have seen no evidence that TLG cares one wit about the accuracy of their past or retired products too this extent, so this is a real (but hopefully unlikely?) scenario to consider.  Transfer of the catalog information and pictures to a neutral, fan-based site that has some incentive to maintain such a treasure trove of information is the best way to make sure it's available for anyone who wants to use it in the future, but short of another independent marketplace becoming the new inventory gold standard I'm not sure what the best solution will be.  Based on my experience, relying on a major corporation with no vested interest to maintain something simply for the good of the hobby is not the best bet to make...

From the buying and selling perspective, portions of the AFOL hobby experience will again be disrupted to some extent, and those who care will be rightfully upset about it. It's the nature of the world to change, and it's in the nature of some of us to not enjoy all the change that we have to deal with, even though it might seem to be a better deal for the majority.
    Thank you. That answers my question.
    LordmoralOldfan
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 872
    A BrickOwl user just mentioned that the new T&C on BL introduced a 'binding arbitration' clause on sellers. It's turning into Ebay.
    Lordmoral
    The "binding arbitration" does not affect you if you live in European Economic Area (“EEA”)/United Kingdom(“UK”)/Switzerland/Australia/ New Zealand/Turkey/Japan/Brazil. It is also opt out if you are outside those areas.

I doubt it affects many people. I wonder what percentage of the users feel the need to take BL to court over disputes with them.
    LordmoralKingAlanI
    edited December 2019
    Well, I sure hope they just anonimously process all the data, and then sell BrickLink back to a wealthy AFOL.
    I already opened a BrickOwl account after the announcement, just in case. And I am definitely going to use it now, after the updated TOS.

The collaboration between Brickset and LEGO probably prevented any critical article on the home page on the updated user agreement. That seems like a drawback on a too close connection.
    Promobricks.de and stonewars.de (two German fan sites) both issued articles in which they were not very positive on the latest update.
    Given the amount of recent feedback, I don't think Huw uses BL much these days. I don't really see what the point of a critical article would be aside from scaremongering about change. Personally, I don't see the changes as that big a deal.

No custom parts - people were up in arms (!) when BL allowed brickarms into the catalogue, but now they are out there are complaints ...? If it is a LEGO owned site, it makes sense that only LEGO can be sold there. They are likely to receive complaints about sub-standard parts if they allow third party ones, or modified ones, or about items that would not be produced by LEGO such as modern guns. Plus there is the issue of them being CE certified.

The custom chrome parts - so what? They are fake. They probably use different process to LEGO's and these new custom parts have not be CE certified. Selling of fake capes and so on - so what? They are fake. Same with photocopied instructions and so on - again fake.

Selling of items not yet released by LEGO. Again I don't see the problem. This was also in place BEFORE lego bought BL - in reality they were not allowed into the catalogue before release, although people got around that by listing them as custom items.

People comparing to North Korea, as they can no longer sell/buy fake parts under the LEGO banner.
    stlux7BSmadforLEGORogerKirk
    edited December 2019
    On using BL as a catalog: personally I prefer Rebrickable.

With BL relying on "volunteers" to add set inventories, there have been some rather long delays in the past to see inventories show up for some sets. Rebrickable has been much quicker in my experience.

I also prefer how Rebrickable shows all available references to parts, including their BrickLink, BrickOwl, Brickset, LDraw and TLG number. Makes it much easier when jumping between BL, PaB and B&P when buying parts.

I also prefer the look and feel of Rebrickable over the (to me) ancient feel of BL, but that's a very personal preference 😉
    Pyrobugbandit778Lordmoral
    stlux said:
    With BL relying on "volunteers" to add set inventories, there have been some rather long delays in the past to see inventories show up for some sets. Rebrickable has been much quicker in my experience.
    From where does Rebrickable source its inventories, though? LEGO's own inventories are frequently inaccurate and can't be relied upon. I'm not aware of any method, other than relying on volunteers, to obtain accurate, reliable inventories as things currently stand.
    560Heliportgmonkey76LordmoralmadforLEGO
    Yeah, I think downloading from LEGO for the inventory and then checking by a knowledgeable volunteer with an actual set is the best way to go. Efficient as the basic inventory is there, but with the careful eye of someone knowledgeable.
    drdavewatfordgmonkey76LordmoralSumoLegoAyliffe
    stlux said:
    I also prefer the look and feel of Rebrickable over the (to me) ancient feel of BL, but that's a very personal preference 😉
    Rebrickable does look more modern, but I found it to be surprisingly slow, on my newish iMac at least. Speed over a bit of superficial polish every time for me.
    Lordmoral
    ^ Touche!

:-)
    gmonkey76Lordmoralbandit778PyrobugBaby_YodaBOBJACK_JACKBOBLegoboymadforLEGO
    edited December 2019
    Fair point @drdavewatford, and Rebrickable also seems to rely on volunteers. They seem to be more motivated than the BL ones though. #30624 Obi-Wan Kenobi is still missing an inventory on BL - looking at Rebrickable they seems to have had one since August (with several updates made, from what I can gather from the audit log).

It's rather typical of BL, where even after being part of a large company they couldn't be bothered to spend money on having an inventory available for all sets within a reasonable timeframe.

Regarding slowness: no issue browsing Rebrickable on either pc or mobile, but that might be related to my particular setup and browser extensions used.
    drdavewatfordLordmoralBumblepantsbandit778