Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BendyBadger's Brickset BonusBall Bonanza - SumoLego Thanksgiving Edition (Drawing 11-27-2019)

SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,203
edited November 23 in Everything else LEGO
Greetings Bricksetters...

Because it is the Saturday before Thanksgiving (over here in the US), and a splendid Fall Winter day in New York - I have returned to preside over another BonusBall.

The first fifty nine (59) unique posts get a numbered entry for Wednesday, November 27th's UK BonusBall.

Please try avoid double-posts, and I am easily confused and don't count so well.

As I have a wide variety of extra sets, polys, figures and Lego-related whatnot in my inventory, the prize will be a bit of a "winner's choice".  The only condition will be that whatever prize the lucky winner chooses - it will be revealed further below in thread.  And if you don't care, there's a #40033 Turkey polybag with your name on it!

The question for your consideration:  

If there were another era you could travel to and observe folks at the time in there element - where and when would you go?  (Also setting aside historical biases, exposure to lethal sanitation conditions and unpleasant cuisine that would jeopardize one's safety during said era.)

@SumoLego's answer:

Despite my obvious heritage and predilection for Kurosawa films, and my affinity for Colonial American History and Classic Roman Civilization, I'd really like to observe exactly how the ancient Egyptians built the Pyramids, and construction of the Great Wall in the Qin Dynasty period.  

Good luck!

BumblepantsSeijiAmasawaGothamConstructionCodonutboyMr_Crossbandit778KungFuKennyLobotstluxgmonkey76TheBigLegoskiCymbelineSirBennychromastonedavetheoxygenmanCOOLEGOsnowhitiekiki180703

Comments

• SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 218
    Roman Republic
    Roman Empire
    modern day Tokyo 

Thanks for hosting.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    SumoLego
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 732
    I may be thinking on the simplistic side here, but I would travel to the 1970s, off the heels of the invention of the transistor and into the digital logic era.  I love electronic circuits and would love to see the evolution of ICs and logic before microprocessors and FPGAs took over.  Yes, I realize I am dating myself.

Do I include some secret binary ASCII message here or just FACE (base 16) the music and finish this post?  
    SumoLego
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,951
    It would be cool to see the Temple of Solomon. My son said he would like to we the time of Justinian and regurgitated what he is learning in history so now I want to see that era too. 
    SumoLegosnowhitie
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 459
    Dallas 1963 to find out once and for all the truth....
    SumoLegobandit778BrainsluggedKungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76Switchfoot55
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,983
    Like yourself, I have an interest in the techniques/building materials used to erect the pyramids and other Egyptian architecture, although once there I don't think I would be able to take the waste and abuse to human life that came as part and parcel of the self same construction.

Would also like to go back and find out if the Mayans were really as clever as they appear to be or really good practical jokers.

Thanks for hosting @SumoLego and Happy Thanksgiving.
    GothamConstructionCoSumoLegoMr_CrosssnowhitieSilverLove
  • im2cre8ivim2cre8iv Utah, USAMember Posts: 76
    Thanks for hosting!

I would definitely like to be a fly on the wall during the French Revolution! Or the colonization and expansion of the Americas.
    SumoLego
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 357
    Ancient Egypt - just how did they build the pyramids and carve the sphinx 
    SumoLegoMr_Crossbandit778snowhitie
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 345
    Any of the golden eras for different civilisations would be wonderful to visit. 

But I would be particularly interested to see how the initial migration of humans out of Africa and around the world occurred. Particularly the Polynesians traversal of the Pacific. 
    SumoLegoMr_Crossbandit778560Heliport
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,364
    Thanks for hosting. My daughter has been studying Egyptian life at school, so that would be fun. I love old engineering, so perhaps back to the late 1700s and the dawn of the steam engine. Or the middle ages with knights and the fall of the Roman Empire.
    But I think I'm going right back to the beginning, the big bang, the dawn of the universe.
    SumoLegoMr_Crossbandit778560HeliportGothamConstructionCosnowhitie
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,025
    "Here's a red letter day in the history of science, November fifth nineteen fifty-five..."

Seriously though, I'd like to have been around to observe the Moon landing in 1969, in an omnipresent kind of way, both from Earth and simultaneously with Neil, Buzz and Michael on the Moon. (seeing as asphyxiation isn't a problem in this scenario).

Thanks for hosting. Great question!
    bandit778donutboyKungFuKennystluxSumoLegosnowhitie
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 426
    I'm going to steal @Mr_Cross's answer I'm afraid—being around for the Space Race and the moon landings would have been fantastic. 

I can't imagine anything quite so mind blowing happening nowadays!

Thanks for hosting!
    Mr_CrossSumoLegosnowhitie
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 994
    edited November 23
    I'd just like to go back to the early 1980s with my phone and blow my pre-teen self's mind with the amazing games, videos and music on it.

Thanks for hosting!
    SumoLego
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 446
    Le Mans '64. Just to see the GTO's at work. wow.

Thanks 4 hosting Sumo!
    gmonkey76SumoLego
  • blade_guyblade_guy Member Posts: 196
    I would like to go back to the early 1990’s. I grew up on Stock Aitken Waterman and Eurodance music but was too young to go out to clubs. By t time I was old enough, that music wasn’t so popular... and I could have had an absolute blast!
    SumoLego
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,170
    Peak of the Roman Empire!
    SumoLegosnowhitie
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 580
    edited November 23
    This isn't actually an entry, more of a concern that I witnessed a number of the things that some people on here want to travel back in time to. Not the pyramids of course, though it feels like it some days.......
    SumoLegosnowhitie
  • VgangVgang CyprusMember Posts: 43
    Ancient Greece, witness the glory of the golden age of Athens
    SumoLego
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 223
    Ancient Greece for me too. Exciting times!
    SumoLego
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 273
    I’d like to see the Space Race live...
    SumoLego
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 610
    All of the above answers would be amazing, but I think I would want to go back to the late ‘70s and spend some time with my grandfather... He was a real-life cowboy, one of my favorite people, and he died much to early when I was just a kid.... wow, sorry for the downer answer!  Thanks for hosting Sumo...
    Mr_Crossgmonkey76SumoLegosnowhitie
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 927
    Ice Age North America- I 'd like to see the megafauna- giant ground sloths, giant beavers, mammoths/mastodons... and the humans too! If I win, the turkey would be great!
    KungFuKennySumoLego
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,478
    edited November 23
    Thanks for hosting

WW2. So I could hang out, and ride around in a Sherman tank with my grandfather 

The wild west. Love Westerns 

The Golden Age of Piracy. Just because.

Late 60s early 70s one word muscle cars
    KungFuKennyTheBigLegoskiSumoLegobandit778donutboysnowhitieGothamConstructionCo
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,387
    Since we are already time travelling one second at a time. The future, although we can only be in the now, as in NOW, is always one second ahead of where we are. So I would not mind travelling a lot faster into the future but without the all the physiological ageing and inevitable deterioration and decay that accompanies that. The world has changed so much over the last 75 years. Boomers, Gen-X'ers, Millennials, Zoomers all were born in a different world, not just technologically but also culturally. Still, all of us were born too soon to know where humanity will be heading. What if you could travel several centuries into the future. Will the human species have colonized Mars and the Moon and far beyond? Will there be interstellar travel with 'faster than Light' / 'Warp' technology? Are they still human, or through biological engineering morphed into something else? How will AI impact the world? Etc.
    Ooh, and will people still play with Lego?
    One ticket to the future 500 years from now please!
    SumoLegogmonkey76im2cre8ivbandit778donutboy
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 138
    Thanks for hosting! I would like to go back to around 100BC when all 7 wonders of the ancient world were still in existence.
    SumoLegostlux
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 299
    Maybe medieval times. Also just watched a documentary on the grunge “scene” in Seattle in the late 80s and early 90s. Would love to be there to see some of those bands live at small clubs. 
    SumoLego
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 540
    It's hard to pick one, but I think I would go back to the Younger Dryas period to see how the real builders of the pyramids built them. Along with other megalithic structures world wide. 
    Either that, or I'd go back to see if Gilgamesh really was so big he could hold a lion, and if the giants of the lovelock cave were real. 
    Thanks for hosting!
    SumoLego
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 339
    edited November 24
    I would go to 1969. First I'd watch the moon landing, then I'd go to Woodstock. Probably partake in some of the consequence free activities of the time as well.
    SumoLego
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 555
    Ancient Babylon to see the hanging gardens.
    SumoLego
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,853
    I would go back to when LEGO was founded.
    SumoLego
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 326
    Maybe head out with the miners during the good rush to see if I can find some gold to help me afford more Lego sets.
    SumoLegogmonkey76stluxsnowhitie
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 268
    Origin of religions:

Time of Abraham and his sons
    Moses
    Early ADs
    Around 600 AD
    Others I don't know enough to provide a date or person 😊
    SumoLegosnowhitie
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 204
    For me, I would go back to to reception class, when everything was fun, exciting and new. The simplicity of life was magical
    SumoLego
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 482
    End of 70s when star wars was still unknown...
    SumoLego
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 716
    To the era of Grace Kelly at her most glorious..some serious drooling would go on i tells ya..
    SumoLego
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 485
    I think I'd like to tag along while John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were making their grand tour of England (while negotiating the treaty ending the Revolutionary War)-as much to hear their commentary as to see what they saw!
    SumoLego
  • LittleLoriLittleLori CanadaMember Posts: 146
    Thank you for hosting @SumoLego.

For my time traveling, I chose the turn of the last century to take a journey on the Orient Express.
    SumoLego
  • panchox1panchox1 ColoradoMember Posts: 114
    I would like to see how society was affected, shaped and changed during the course of the industrial revolution.
    SumoLego
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 696
    Britain during the Napoleonic Wars. I would have loved to have been on some of the warships.
    SumoLego
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 479
    I would have to see the founding of America. Would love to witness the signing of the constitution and all that jazz.
    SumoLego
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,352
    Thanks for hosting @SumoLego

I’m tagging along with @mak0137

Just to find out if any of them are right and try to stop some arguments.
    SumoLegoKungFuKennymak0137
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,497
    I would travel to a week last Tuesday. As Tuesdays go, it was around average.
    TheOriginalSimonBKungFuKennySumoLegoeggshenmak0137
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,243
    As according to the rules I don't risk getting executed immediately: Mid-19th century Japan to witness the Meiji Restoration and the rapid industrialization of Japan.

Thanks for hosting @SumoLego and have a great Thanksgiving!
    KungFuKennySumoLego
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 461
    This past Friday night.  I'm not asking for much, just a longer weekend.
    SumoLegoToc13donutboysnowhitiemak0137
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 547
    I wouldn't mind being a proverbial fly on the wall during 1950s middle America.
    SumoLego
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,054
    edited November 25
    I'd like to investigate some early myths & see what the story is behind them
    The Crucifixion
    Gilgamesh & the flood
    That sort of thing

Thanks for the hosting
    SumoLegomak0137
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 486
    Would be quite into seeing how the Incas built those crazy tightly-interlocking walls in Peru, but also I'd love to go back to the 80s and 90s and experience the UK rave scene for real
    eggshenSumoLego
  • f2iso100f2iso100 United StatesMember Posts: 36
    I'd like to go back to the 1800's. It's so close to our current society and yet so far, technologically! 
    SumoLego
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 638
    Walt Disney Imagineering during the construction of Disneyland
    SumoLegopanchox1