Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Are the VIP points still worth paying extra?

SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 48
edited November 22 in Buying & Selling Topics
Im considering buying the 10264 Corner Garage.

I used to buy D2C (and other sets) through lego.com, did not think much about the sets probably being cheaper elsewere. Then I used the points to get a bit of discount on the following order.

With the new VIP system in place I find it more difficult to figure out if its still worth it (for me) to pay the higher price at lego.com? I have not found anything about this new VIP program vs the old one, hence this post.

If I buy the CG from lego.com this weekend it will cost ca 200€/200USD including free shipping, i get double points and the xmas tree.

If I buy the CG elsewhere, it will cost me 160€/160USD, also free shipping.

If i only wanted the xmas tree, i could still get it by buying something cheaper.

I buy things from lego.com to get fun and BUILDABLE promos, like the Christian Andersen set or Dinobaby set. The xmas tree is ”free lego” but just ”ok” for me. I.e, Im equally fine with not getting it as with getting it.

I used to use my points for discounts on my next orders. Am mostly not interested in other items like picknick blankets, shopping bags, posters etc no matter how exclusive they are. Are the rewards through points still worth it (to me) to pay the higher cost buying at lego.com? For CG in particular but also bigger sets in general. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 426
    There's been quite a bit of discussion on this forum about the new VIP system, if you have a search around you should find some stuff.

Whether it's worth it or not is always going to be a personal question. You can do the maths, though:

At the moment, the CG is 1280 points. Double points this weekend makes that 2560 points. You can redeem 800 points for a £5 voucher, meaning that 2560 points is worth £16 (although it can only be redeemed in multiples of £5). So you're effectively getting £15 off your next purchase of Lego from Lego's own store, if all you use the points are is vouchers, not the other freebies etc.

(Convert to your own currency, obviously…)
    SilverLovegmonkey76
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 994
    Points are still worth what they always were - 5% of total spend. Double that on double VIP point events. So if it was worth it to you before, it should still be worth it now.
    klintonstluxFizyxPyrobugSilverLovesid3windrAyliffegmonkey76
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 736
    Nothing has changed about the value of the points against future purchases. I don't understand what you're confused about? It still comes out as an overall 5% rebate (10% during 2x VIP events).

This weekend you'll get 10% off as well as the Christmas tree and the buildable brick set. I think you'll come out ahead purchasing it from Lego.com at this time.
    panchox1sid3windrgmonkey76
  • SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 48
    There's been quite a bit of discussion on this forum about the new VIP system, if you have a search around you should find some stuff.

Whether it's worth it or not is always going to be a personal question. You can do the maths, though:

At the moment, the CG is 1280 points. Double points this weekend makes that 2560 points. You can redeem 800 points for a £5 voucher, meaning that 2560 points is worth £16 (although it can only be redeemed in multiples of £5). So you're effectively getting £15 off your next purchase of Lego from Lego's own store, if all you use the points are is vouchers, not the other freebies etc.

(Convert to your own currency, obviously…)
    Thank you benbacardi for taking your time to answer! 
    I thought there would be posts about it, but im such a forum noob that I could not find a ”search forum” function (browser on phone) and in my defense I had a quick lookthrough ”Buying and selling topics”, ”Everything else Lego”, ”Shopping US/Canada”, ”Shopping UK” and ”Shopping elsewhere” but wasnt sure how long back I had to look (I had not bought Lego for a while so not sure when the new VIP program was put in place and hence around what time I should look for posts regarding the matter).

So...that would mean paying about 40€ more shopping at lego.com to get 20€ in discount on a later purchase. (I found out the CG will give me 3000VIP points in my country, 750points = 50€ —> 20€).
    Am I going about it the right way?

So that extra 20€ will get me that gwp xmas tree?
    Points are still worth what they always were - 5% of total spend. Double that on double VIP point events. So if it was worth it to you before, it should still be worth it now.
    Thank you Brainslugged, that answered another part of what I was wondering: I only knew the VIP program had changed, not in what way (I didn’t really pay attention to how many points each monetary unit gave me before). I dont know why I assumed the points would be worth less than in the old VIP program. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,326
    if you don't care about the tree, better get the CG for 160
    Switchfoot55
    klinton said:
    Nothing has changed about the value of the points against future purchases. I don't understand what you're confused about? It still comes out as an overall 5% rebate (10% during 2x VIP events).

This weekend you'll get 10% off as well as the Christmas tree and the buildable brick set. I think you'll come out ahead purchasing it from Lego.com at this time.
    Klinton, you make me doubt my math skills (which arnt the best to begin with). But I have calculated and recalculated a few times and end up finding that although the purchase at lego.com this weekend would correspond to 10% off the regular price at lego.com, it still costs 20€ more than if the purchase was made from another site. (I would later get 4x 5€ for my 3000points, by paying 40€ more this weekend for the CG than if buying from another site).

How is that coming out ahead? Unless the xmas tree is worth 20€ as a set (i believe the pieces would cost more than 20€ if bought from e.g. bricks&pieces, but since I dont MOC I dont have any use of the bricks themselves). Or am I going about this completely wrong? *scratches head*
    Klinton, you make me doubt my math skills (which arnt the best to begin with). But I have calculated and recalculated a few times and end up finding that although the purchase at lego.com this weekend would correspond to 10% off the regular price at lego.com, it still costs 20€ more than if the purchase was made from another site. (I would later get 4x 5€ for my 3000points, by paying 40€ more this weekend for the CG than if buying from another site).

How is that coming out ahead? Unless the xmas tree is worth 20€ as a set (i believe the pieces would cost more than 20€ if bought from e.g. bricks&pieces, but since I dont MOC I dont have any use of the bricks themselves). Or am I going about this completely wrong? *scratches head*
    You'd be getting two free sets #5006085 and #40338 with your purchase. 
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 994
    edited November 22
    klinton said:
    You'd be getting two free sets #5006085 and #40338 with your purchase. 
    The spend threshold for that buildable brick is a ridiculous £200 in the UK. If it's a similar level in Sweden, @SilverLove won't be spending enough to get it if only buying a single modular building.

If only getting the single freebie, buying the set at a 20% discount from somewhere other than Lego is a no-brainer. I also don't think that tree is anything worth getting excited about. The brick-built brick is only marginally better so it's one freebie I'm not too worried about missing out on.
    Oops. I stand corrected. I just checked the Swedish site, and 5006085 isn't on offer there. That's odd. :/ 
  • le_petitcastorle_petitcastor FranceMember Posts: 3
    You can the best of both worlds... In Canada, there are credit cards available from banks where they refund you the difference paid between the same items within 60 days or 90 days of purchase.  It's called "price protection insurance"

How it works:
    1. you see the CG at $160 on Amazon, take a screenshot of the page.
    2. you purchase the CG on Lego.com at $200 and get VIP points and whichever bonus set.  
    3. When you get your credit card bill, you send it to the insurer of the credit card with the screenshot 
    4. Insurer sends you a cheque for $40.

Last year, I purchased the Holiday Train Station from lego.com and got $20 back.  I also received the promo Diagon Alley set and VIPs points.

I use, for example, Scotiabank's Visa Passport.  They work with Assurant for the refunds.  I realize it may not be something available in other countries but thought it could be helpful.  Definitely worth checking with your bank.
    Switchfoot55
    You can the best of both worlds... In Canada, there are credit cards available from banks where they refund you the difference paid between the same items within 60 days or 90 days of purchase.  It's called "price protection insurance"

How it works:
    1. you see the CG at $160 on Amazon, take a screenshot of the page.
    2. you purchase the CG on Lego.com at $200 and get VIP points and whichever bonus set.  
    3. When you get your credit card bill, you send it to the insurer of the credit card with the screenshot 
    4. Insurer sends you a cheque for $40.

Last year, I purchased the Holiday Train Station from lego.com and got $20 back.  I also received the promo Diagon Alley set and VIPs points.

I use, for example, Scotiabank's Visa Passport.  They work with Assurant for the refunds.  I realize it may not be something available in other countries but thought it could be helpful.  Definitely worth checking with your bank.
    Thank you @le_petitcastor for taking the time to reply to my post!