Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Marbled LEGO 2x3 Plate... Is It Rare?

MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 6
Hi Everyone!

Several months back I was at a used LEGO bulk store and found a brick I have never seen before or since. It is a 2x3 marbled plate in practically unused condition. It's colors are olive green and yellow marbled together. I threw it in the bulk bag I bought (of course) hoping to find more in the future. I recently searched on BrickLink.com and even the general internet and cannot find a single trace of anything close to it (other than the rare marbled 2x4 bricks). I cannot even find another marbled 2x3 plate in any other colors. Since it looked new I assumed it was produced more recently in a set... but maybe I'm wrong?

Here are my questions:

~Are there any other known marbled 2x3 plates?

~Do you know where I can search for them?

~Is this brick valuable?

~Is it very rare?

~Do you think it was from a set, sold "off market", or something else?

Any answers or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have more images below. Thanks!

BumblepantsM1J0ELittleLorikiki180703catwrangler

Comments

• MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 6
    Not sure if it's any help or not, but here are the inscriptions from the bottom of the plate: 03021 (Assuming the part #), along with a single number 5 and a single number 40.
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 531
    Well if nothing else it sure looks cool!
    MinifigInSpaceFizyxLittleLorikiki180703
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 610
    edited November 13
    There are several threads that go into this- if you type in a search like “marbled” you will get a few.  For example:
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/16396/marbled-lego-bricks-and-other-parts — these mostly deal with bricks though.  I know that marbled 2x4s are sometimes test bricks from the plastics companies (Bayer, BASF, Samsonite, etc) but you would need to page @Istokg for more details.  I’m not as familiar with marbled plates.  I do know that there are collectors for these kinds of parts - if you are trying to sell you might try the marketplace thread. 
    MinifigInSpaceFizyxmadforLEGOLittleLorikiki180703
  • MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 6
    There are several threads that go into this- if you type in a search like “marbled” you will get a few.  For example:
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/16396/marbled-lego-bricks-and-other-parts
    I know that marbled 2x4s are sometimes test bricks from the plastics companies (Bayer, BASF, Samsonite, etc) but you would need to page @Istokg for more details.  I’m not as familiar with marbled plates.  I do know that there are collectors for these kinds of parts - if you are trying to sell you might try the marketplace thread. 
    Thank you! The information is very helpful. I'll definitely check out those threads.