Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Vintage Lego shop display boat

Gavin65Gavin65 PortsmouthMember Posts: 3

I have an original 135cm long x 35cm high factory made/assembled lego cruise ship that was first used as shop window display item in a Chester department store from the early 1970's and possibly earlier. See attached photo images.

I am trying to discover more about the boat eg how old it could be, where it was possibly made/assembled, are there many left, what value it may have and how best I can clean it safely as it is glued together.

If you are able to help me with any information or advice it would be fantastic.

560HeliportFowlerBricksBumblepantsFizyxTkattmadforLEGOKungFuKennyandhekiki180703M1J0Ered237KjelleviruscatwranglerBaby_Yodapxchrissid3windr

Comments

• DoktorLDoktorL Member Posts: 81
    Regarding the age, the windows 1x2x1 were only made in the nineteen-seventies, 1971 to 1976 I think, so I would guess the boat was built then. Also there are no special bricks, no slopes, no curved slopes or similar which IMO suggests that it was build in the seventies.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,383
    Paging @Istokg or @LusiferSam
    The_Rancorandhekiki180703
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 565
    Looks like a larger version of this one:

At the Bellaire OH museum
    LittleLori
    Also, these other retailer display ships date from the 1960s have the 1x2x1 windows. ''Titanic'' toyshopmodel made by Lego 1965 Canberra Display Glued Model Lego cruise ship P&O shop display promotional item 1960's 60s vintage retro Brittish ferry boat
    KungFuKennyFizyxstluxmadforLEGOpxchris
  • Gavin65Gavin65 PortsmouthMember Posts: 3
    That's a fantastic help. Any advice on best methods to cleaning ?
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 507
    edited November 10
    Gavin65 said:
    @Gavin65

With vintage Lego, Fabuland, etc I gently clean pieces with warm soapy water.  Sometimes a soft scrub brush is needed to get in between the studs.  I pat them dry and then let them air dry for a few hours.

With a model that size you will have to decide if you are taking it apart or cleaning it as a whole.  If you use the bath tub, plug the drain hole well (voice of experience from someone who has lost a fair few pieces down the drain...)

Now the pieces that are yellowed/aged looking would need a stronger intervention.  I have used the various H2O2 (peroxide) plus sunlight methods and actually had some pretty good success.  It seems to help even the blue pieces that are yellowed to come back to life a bit.  I would always test the process out on a couple of pieces first, and remember that  the length of time in the direct sun determines the amount of chemical action happening on the surface of the brick.  I have even done printed parts with no ill effects, but would caution you to go slow with those just in case.

If you google peroxide and Lego you will see multiple methods.  I haven’t tried adding Oxy-Clean but some report good results.  I seem to remember good tutorials on Eurobricks and Brickpicket, and maybe even here on BSF.

Good luck and share your results when you are done!

BTW, just so you know, the peroxide and sun method didn’t do much to de-age my hands but didn’t cause any damage to me either... :-)

madforLEGOFizyxLittleLori
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,383
    edited November 10
    Gavin65 said:
    @Gavin65

With vintage Lego, Fabuland, etc I gently clean pieces with warm soapy water.  Sometimes a soft scrub brush is needed to get in between the studs.  I pat them dry and then let them air dry for a few hours.

With a model that size you will have to decide if you are taking it apart or cleaning it as a whole.  If you use the bath tub, plug the drain hole well (voice of experience from someone who has lost a fair few pieces down the drain...)

Now the pieces that are yellowed/aged looking would need a stronger intervention.  I have used the various H2O2 (peroxide) plus sunlight methods and actually had some pretty good success.  It seems to help even the blue pieces that are yellowed to come back to life a bit.  I would always test the process out on a couple of pieces first, and remember that  the length of time in the direct sun determines the amount of chemical action happening on the surface of the brick.  I have even done printed parts with no ill effects, but would caution you to go slow with those just in case.

If you google peroxide and Lego you will see multiple methods.  I haven’t tried adding Oxy-Clean but some report good results.  I seem to remember good tutorials on Eurobricks and Brickpicket, and maybe even here on BSF.

Good luck and share your results when you are done!

BTW, just so you know, the peroxide and sun method didn’t do much to de-age my hands but didn’t cause any damage to me either... :-)

Excellent advice, However, on a model like this, I would say to hold off on Oxy (peroxide) brightening of this model (as no matter how long you leave pieces in the process it does change the brick chemically). Sure, it is old, and a bit yellowed, but it is original and shows it age (hey, its an old set after all) and I think collectors understand the 'ages' taking its toll on the model. Plus it is built in a certain way with the brick being in the correct locations when originally built and unless you note every piece as to where it goes, you will mix them up when you take it apart.
    As for dusting the model, the other option is get a blind cleaning attachment to use on your vacuum, or one of those as seen on TV attachments meant for vacuuming around small parts of things, in order to clean it without having to dismantle the whole thing. I have a blind clearing attachment, it comes with some soft bristles and a slit for an opening so it just just get the dust and no parts (you can also use a fresh bag or clean out the canister in your vacuum before performing such a task as well). For heavier dirt on the display piece (of parts seen), you can use a q-tip and a mild soap. and then wipe the parts clean. A lot of work sure, but again not certain if you really want to take it apart and jumble up the parts.
    KungFuKenny
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,504
    ^, ^^, OP said it’s glued together.
    MaffyD
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 481
    That information on the windows doesn't sound right.   These types of windows were make from the 50s to the 70s.  There a number of little variations, glass/no glass, extended lips, solid vs hollow studs, etc. that can help near down the time period.  The Model Shop (where this type of model was likely build) has access to elements that different from what are available to the public.

The logo is basically from the 60s.  I don't remember what exact year they started using it, but they stopped using the open O and went to the closed O in 1973.  The rainbow band was added in 1965.  I don't if any models were produced with a rainbow band logo.
    sid3windrmadforLEGOkiki180703
  • LittleLoriLittleLori CanadaMember Posts: 141
    What a beautiful collection! 
    Yes the second image I posted was one of Chris Bull's. Great photo of them all @Istokg!
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg ScotlandMember Posts: 6
    Gavin65 said:

I would say just dust it with a brush and wipe it with a damp cloth.  The fading is part of its charactor and age.  Chemical treatment can damage the plastic plus I believe its a glued model?  Its just a bit dusty.  What a nice thing to have.  Great find.
    madforLEGOLittleLori
  • Gavin65Gavin65 PortsmouthMember Posts: 3
    Thanks for the cleaning advice I will go down the route of a light dust and wipe over as it is glued together and mainly dust as you say. The display is brilliant by the way, it takes me back to how it started its life when my dad used it in his shop window and Christmas time displays and my next question would be any ideas to it's value ?