Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Looking for Chicago Help - Water Tower Place

wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 502
Hi
Will be in Chicago tomorrow and while I usually stop by WTP LEGO store, I might be pressed for time.  Wondering if the Pick A Brick wall has Christmas items yet, and or if Halloween items still available?  Anyone know by chance?  

Will be at NYC rock center store first week of December so either way I’ll get my fill.  It sucks with the closest LEGO store being a 3 hour drive (KC).  And to think I used to be able to make a visit during lunch time!
Jackad7

Comments

• InfinitymanInfinityman United StatesMember Posts: 110
    I'm also curious, but I won't be in Chicago until just before Thanksgiving...
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 507
    Paging @gmonkey76 and @madforLEGO ...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,383
    Sorry, I do not go the Watertower place store, only the one in Woodfield mall (in Schaumburg, IL).
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,459
    Wish I could help, but I recently moved out of the city and don't stop in as much as I used to. Maybe @Boardshorts85 could help?
    gmonkey76 said:
    Wish I could help, but I recently moved out of the city and don't stop in as much as I used to. Maybe @Boardshorts85 could help?
    I’ll be there 11/21-24 and can check but not soon enough for the OP
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 177
    I'm nearby and could swing by.  Does @wrangler6915 still need to know or did I miss the window?
    InfinitymanmadforLEGO
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 502
    Thank you all kindly!  Missed my chance in Chicago this time around...
    Sorry, I do not go the Watertower place store, only the one in Woodfield mall (in Schaumburg, IL).
    @madforLEGO and @gmonkey76 (and any other Chicago residents) — I’m visiting later in November and trying to decide if it is worth it to make a trip out to the Lego Store in Schaumburg.  We will be staying downtown again and always stop by Water Tower Place, but just wondered if there is anything unique about the Woodfield mall location.  Also, do you have any experience with the Brickloot physical store or the Adam Reed Tucker museum (blocks to bricks I believe).  Thanks in advance!
    @KungFuKenny In my experience the official stores are the same with the Watertower store being bigger. The bick a brick wall in Chicago is bigger, but Woodfield has a baseplate with all the bricks they have in stock even if not on the wall. If you go out to Woodfield there is also a Discovery Center 5 min. away they sometimes have polybags that haven't been in wide release, and LEGOLAND Sets. Don't know if you know of Brickmania, but they also have a store 15 min. away which if you are into custom military kits is a nice visit.  No knowledge of the brickloot store. Went in Blocks to Bricks once, but didn't pay to take the tour. They have a store with custom lego compatible lego kits, and maybe some off brands? They did have old CMF in glass cases that I thought were way overpriced, and they don't let you feel them.
    KungFuKennymadforLEGOSirBen
    edited November 10
    ^ Thanks for the tips- I really appreciate a local’s insight.  I’ll have to weigh whether it’s worth an Uber out there... (As far as I know there isn’t a train from downtown out there, right?)

You can take the CTA Blue line (light Rail/subway train) to Rosemont station and take a PACE Bus to a terminal by Woodfield and there may be a shuttle bus, but Discovery Center and mall is easy walking distance. Brickmania store not sure on public transportation. If you're going that way I would look into Ventra.com as CTA trains don't take cash, but it works for all CTA and PACE rides.
    KungFuKennymadforLEGO
    You can also take Metra to Arlington Heights and uber from there. Not sure on buses from there to Woodfield, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a route
    KungFuKennymadforLEGO
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 554
    There is a free trolly (bus) that runs between Woodfield Mall and Streets of Woodfield (where the Discovery Center is located). Details and the route schedule can be found here: http://www.villageofschaumburg.com/depts/transport/woodfield.htm
    madforLEGOKungFuKennygmonkey76
    Also remember that PaB walls can be different from LEGO store to LEGO store as well. (The LEGOLAND Discover Center (LDC) one is pretty bad actually). Sadly I have not been to the Woodfield mall store recently so I'm not sure if they have any special PaB parts out yet, or special BaM parts for Christmas either.

In regards to the LDC, watch out on prices of CMFs, as the series 19 are 4.99 per pack when I went a few weeks ago (they typically drop once the figures have been out for a while). Though they also have bins of the CMFs to search through so if there is a fig you want really bad, not a bad place to go (and sometimes really old CMF series figures are down to 2.99 per pack-though you have to ask to see the prices as they do not tag CMF bags). Also look at everything in the LDC store, as many times they have the LEGOLAND exclusives (all in one aisle usually) but they did also have the Mini London bus promos there for 9.99 each as well (first on ashelf near the larger model, then in a tray lining the cashier aisle). They also have a 'clearance' wall now near the cashier on the back wall of the store some times you can find good deals on old items in the aisle to the cashier so check the price tags on the boxes. They typically have a good selection on the polys but are also typically 5 dollars though (though some also get clearance prices too) so again watch the price tags--especially in the little aisle going to the cashier.
    gmonkey76KungFuKenny
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 177
    I've only ventured out to the LDC in Schaumburg once and was pretty disappointed.  The PaB was pretty bad, and the prices were steep.

I haven't been the Woodfield brand store, but the PaB at Watertower Place has been disappointing this year.  The spring elements that everyone was bragging about online didn't show up until late summer for us.  Haven't been back in recently to see if there is anything for the holiday season yet.

I've been wanting to get to Deerfield to visit Brick Loot but haven't gotten there yet.
    gmonkey76KungFuKenny
    Thanks for the help!  Interestingly, I just had a shipping notification for a Bricklink order and it’s also coming from Schaumburg... 
    If anyone is thinking about going out to Schaumburg LEGOLAND Discovery Center (outside of the Mall in the Streets of Woodfield shopping plaza) when visiting the Chicago area. As of this morning on 11/16 They still had:
    #40346 LEGOLAND (large theme park) set: $90 USD each still (I believe, forgot to doublecheck).
    #40145 LEGO store (24 dollars)
    #40347 Driving school (I believe 20 dollars)
    #40306 LEGOLAND Castle (miniset) I think it is on clearance in the checkout aisle nearest to the cashier so not sure on the price (usually the items on that shelf are a bit cheaper, like a discount/clearance area as well)

The polys I think are now 6 a piece though

gmonkey76
    ^was at the Discovery Center yesterday. For those that are thinking of going to Woodfield on Black Friday they open at 6am

#40346 is still $90 bought one yesterday
    #40306 is $10 almost bought one.
    madforLEGO