Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Workbench

I moved into my house 16 years ago. The previous owner had left a fairly large workbench for woodworking. I used it as such for 2 occasions, but otherwise just used it for storing stuff.

I've lately been on a mission to organize my house and was able to free up the bench.

Lastly, my sons have really started getting more and more into Lego building. So, with a little paint and reorganizing, the workbench is becoming out construction area.

I'll post pictures once it's finished.
M1J0EDjblythe05KungFuKennyLittleLoricatwranglerMr_Crosskiki180703

Comments

• jedijason1138jedijason1138 Member Posts: 156
    Here are some photos. The basement is pretty cluttered, but thanks to some new shelves yours truly built, we have some organization. Final touches still to come: I have a fluorescent work light over the top that needs to be wired.
    datsunrobbieFizyxstluxMr_Crosskiki180703LittleLori

Mr_CrossLittleLori

LittleLori
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 801
    Don't know about anyone else, but personally I would probably put a short lip (maybe an inch or less) around the build area.  I know the biggest pain in the butt for me, especially with larger sets that aren't being built from new, is having to keep the loose pieces in a tight pile, away from the edges, and not being able to properly root through them for what I need.
    CCCLittleLori
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,960
    edited November 18
    Looks like a nice work space for building and would agree with @Fizyx about the lip as there's a lot of under shelf space to lose small bouncing bits if they fall off.
     I must admit though, I'm more jealous of the full size Artoo than the workbench. Looks awesome.
    FizyxMr_Cross
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,955
    Fizyx said:
    Don't know about anyone else, but personally I would probably put a short lip (maybe an inch or less) around the build area.  I know the biggest pain in the butt for me, especially with larger sets that aren't being built from new, is having to keep the loose pieces in a tight pile, away from the edges, and not being able to properly root through them for what I need.
    Definitely. Especially if it ever goes against a wall. You will be forever looking for parts that have gone down the back. Been there, done that!

Also the top doesn't look very smooth. I suggest using something like white hardboard (high-density fiberboard) as a top surface. It is cheap, easy to cut to size, a nice surface to work on and covers up any holes in the bench top.

That R2-D2 in the background looks great.

FizyxMr_Cross
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to add plates to the whole top of the bench. I'll add some kind of lip to prevent pieces from falling off. At one point, we talked about adding Lego train tracks around the edge, but I have to check the dimensions.

That Artoo is a soda cooler that I bought when Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was released. Unfortunately, the dome has some damage and can't be replaced.
    Fizyx
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,955
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to add plates to the whole top of the bench. I'll add some kind of lip to prevent pieces from falling off. At one point, we talked about adding Lego train tracks around the edge, but I have to check the dimensions.

If you go for train tracks, I'd make them either removable or fixed to a lift off top.

That Artoo is a soda cooler that I bought when Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was released. Unfortunately, the dome has some damage and can't be replaced.
    So you have the rare "battle damaged" version from A New Hope!
    bandit778Fizyx560Heliport