Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Removing sticky marks left by sellotape from Lego

milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 536
Bought a used set today (note to self - this is why you don't buy used sets....) and the seller had for some insane reason stuck 50% of the pieces together in strips with sellotape. So sellotape on both sides if lucky; wrapped in a sellotape parcel if unlucky.

After ages peeling it all apart I've washed it in soapy water, tried a glasses cleaner, melted one piece slightly with acetone and used some gentle kitchen cleaner, all to no avail. The pieces are as sticky as ever.

Sort of tempted to send the lot back for a refund, but it was pretty cheap so if anyone has any suggestions for removing said goo, I'd be grateful. i've searched the forum and can only find suggestions for glue, none of which have worked.

Comments

• Wookie2Wookie2 Leeds, UKMember Posts: 194
    I've used this stuff for many purposes including removing sellotape residue from cardboard packaging with no problems and it leaves no damage. It should be fine for Lego pieces too:

milamberFizyxkiki180703stluxLegopantscatwrangler
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 536
    Wookie2 said:
    I've used this stuff for many purposes including removing sellotape residue from cardboard packaging with no problems and it leaves no damage. It should be fine for Lego pieces too:

Thanks. I'll give it a go
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,504
    If I encounter some that I can’t get off with more tape, I have found peanut butter works. Worth a try if you have some on hand.
    milamber
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 536
    Thanks. I’ll bear it in mind for next time. Unfortunately the set has dozens of missing pieces so it’s going back. He can clean it himself!
    AstrobricksBumblepants
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,383
    If it is LEGO and no printing on it, you can use WD-40, Goo Gone, some would argue Brasso (but can also slightly damage the part finish). But WD-40 (aside from having to wash the parts afterward to ensure the cleaner -and its smell- are off) works pretty well for me when it comes to removing sticky residue.
    milamberFizyxAstrobrickskiki180703
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,504
    ... (aside from having to wash the parts afterward to ensure the cleaner -and its smell- are off) ...
    Same for peanut butter :)
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    KONTAKT 244 Solvent 50 works nicely. And smells good to boot :)

milamber
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,020
    Lighter fluid works very well but can leave a milky sheen which then needs to be cleaned off with washing-up liquid.
    milamber
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg ScotlandMember Posts: 6
    I usually use mild detergent and a toothbrush. An interdental toothbrush for the difficult bits.  Also good for removing the likes of blu-tak, plasticine and playdoh.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,814
    About Goo Gone and Mykal Sticky Stuff Remover - do they smell at all? We could do with a product like that in the house, but my partner's migraines are triggered by various things containing solvents, and odour is a pretty good (literally!) sniff test as to whether or not a given product will be a problem...
  • Wookie2Wookie2 Leeds, UKMember Posts: 194
    @catwrangler Mykal Sticky Stuff Remover does have a smell to it. I wouldn't say it is really strong (from my own experience) but I guess it depends on how sensitive you are. It probably also depends on how much you need to use as the tasks I've needed it for have been small so exposure has been minimal.
    catwrangler
    Good to know, thanks! There's always the option of using it outdoors to avoid triggering his migraines, but if I can find something non-odorous, even better...
    Wookie2
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 478
    Isopropyl alcohol is the one - just a tiny bit dissolves glue residue, but it doesn't pose any danger to the brick or any printing. It also doesn't leave any smell.

Incidentally, the peanut butter probably works because of the oils, which also dissolve some glue. Unfortunately you then have to clean off the oil.
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 685
    Another vote for IPA and a toothbrush. Dilute 2:1 in a spray bottle.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    A lot of the product used for removing adhesives in a safe manner contain d-limonene which comes from citrus fruits, so you will get a citrus odor as a result.  Usually these products are also biodegradable.  They are also wonderful for removing calcium build up in showers or getting ink stains out from fabrics.
    catwranglerMr_Cross
    This is all very helpful; thanks folks!