Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Riddles

pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 559
Anybody else playing the riddles game from the front page?

It's been fun so far! 8 of them were fairly easy for me to get, but I'm still working through #8 and 10 in my head.

Thanks to @CapnRex101 for putting this together!
BumblepantsM1J0E

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,955
    Re 8 and 10.

Don't use your head. Use bricklink or brickset. Bricklink rather than brickset is especially useful for 10.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,473
    Yup, I got 9 of them pretty easily. Number 8 took longer but I got there.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 559
    I thought I knew the answer to # 10 immediately... then the word choral started really throwing me off.
    Ignore choral for now, although it makes sense once you get it. Use another keyword to search for parts.
    Well, I submitted my answers going with my gut on # 10. # 8 I'm still unsure if I was following the clues right, but I feel decent about my choice.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,619
    Is there one obvious answer for #8? It's my holdup too, but I feel there are a couple of options you could go with. 

I thought of a couple, but only one of them seemed to fit all parts of the clue.

It will be interesting to see everyone's answers once the competition is closed.

• PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 449
    I breezed through them all last night fairly quickly, or so it seemed at the time. In the cold light of day I'm assailed by doubts on my answers and now regretting the quantities of whiskey consumed the night before...
    Switchfoot55Bumblepantspxchris
    I feel like I've landed on a solution to 8 that makes sense for all parts of the riddle. It wasn't a part of my initial assumption, however. 
    pxchris
    PJ76uk said:
    I breezed through them all last night fairly quickly, or so it seemed at the time. In the cold light of day I'm assailed by doubts on my answers and now regretting the quantities of whiskey consumed the night before...
    That's my plan for Dec 11th / 12th.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,247
    Haven't tried since yesterday morning, but I wasn't able to work out 9 and 10. I have an idea for 9, but I can't figure out what it means by 'unmatched.'
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,107
    I went down a couple of wrong paths with number 8, but think I've got the right answer. The rest *seem* straightforward and I'm about 95% sure I've got them all right. We'll (all) see soon! :-)
    pxchris
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 483
    I found I went down a couple of paths that seemed more logical for #8 & could’ve been contenders, but had to go a third way as well & think I got the answer, only by using Brickset.  Curious to see what it actually is.  These are fun!  I really appreciate all the hard work that the Brickset team put into doing the riddles, and the previous trivia challenges.
    KungFuKennypxchris
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,313
    8 seemed obvious to me, but I'm not sure yet about 10
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,331
    Managed seven of them very quickly, some head scratching and I got one more. Number 9 I'm stuck on which set number to use. Eight has me stumped.
    Eight has me stumped.
    It isn't a pirate set, if that helps! :-)
    PJ76uk
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 449
    I thought number 8 was easy, but that might've been the whiskey fog! Can't wait for the results to see how far away I was!
    pxchris
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,247
    Ah, that glorious moment when you've sent the form in, only to immediately realise you entered the wrong number...
    KungFuKenny
    Yeah, I'm eager to see what the answers are. I felt pretty confident on most of my answers, but that could easily be a false confidence based on faulty assumptions.
    PJ76ukM1J0E
    I thankfully just realized today I never hit submit on my entry forum. Glad I got it in before the deadline. 
    KungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 507
    Fauch said:
    8 seemed obvious to me, but I'm not sure yet about 10
    Managed seven of them very quickly, some head scratching and I got one more. Number 9 I'm stuck on which set number to use. Eight has me stumped.
    Over on the main Brickset page most folks are in agreement with this- #s 8,9, and 10 seem to be the ones causing the most difficulty.  I had one answer for 10 that seemed to make sense in a roundabout way...then I had the forehead slap moment and changed to the more obvious answer...
    Switchfoot55M1J0Epxchris
    Answers are up.

I got this one wrong: Thunder arrives with hornet shades, accompanied by whirling blades.

I went for 7417: it has Johnny Thunder, and the blades of the propeller in a yellow and black (hornet colours) plane.

Instead it was this:

stluxBaby_Yodashikadi
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 756
    ^ I was actually thinking the same, but thought it was unlikely there would be 2 sets featured with Johnny Thunder. Eventually found the helicopter though.
    Switchfoot55
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,586
    I was a bit disappointed I didn't have time to look at this when it was open, but I'm never really good at riddles and crosswords etc. Give me logic puzzles any day of the week!
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 191
    Question 8 stumped me as well; I plumped for #7420 - plane, propeller, thunder, best I could do (should have used brickset search more).

Really good bit of fun though
    Switchfoot55
    Yep... I got #8 wrong as well. But I did get the other 9 right, so not bad!

Again, thanks to the Brickset staff for this, it was a fun one!
    KungFuKenny
    edited November 7
    Well I got 10 of 10, but not a winner.  I think I should buy myself a batmobile for a prize... :-)

For the longest time I thought the Choral Bulldog was this set...

because of the bulldog print- I was trying to relate the air pump to choral until I figured out the Anthem link
    Switchfoot55pxchrisBumblepants
    I too initially thought #8 was a Johnny Thunder set. I stepped away for a bit and came back to find #5542. I ended up 10/10. No winning set for me, but still a fun exercise in Lego!
    KungFuKennyM1J0E
    Yeah - that was my issue as well with #8, I was stuck on it being a Johnny Thunder set of some sort. I went with #7422.
    KungFuKennyM1J0E
    edited November 7
    I hope they do more of these though... it is nice to have an excuse to deep dive into Bricklink and Lego history
    LittleLori
    edited November 7
    got everything right... and forgot to submit my answer...
    actually nothing was a problem to guess, I immediatly thought mack anthem for 10, but couldn't see the link with a choral. now I see it with anthem, just not a word I'm familiar with.
    that's weird a model team set gave that much trouble, I thought it was a fairly popular theme. or maybe it's just a few of the models, like the big truck.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 894
    I thought #8 was #8117!
    pxchris
    actually I can see the johnny thunder sets fits perfectly the riddle too. I just thought helicopter first.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 902
    edited November 7
    I went back and forth on number 3 for ages. The "20 year set" returning in 2002. I really couldn't decide if it was talking about Vader's first appearance (with the y-wing) and that it/he was re-released in 2002. I eventually decided to go with the fact that it had to be one of the 20th anniversary sets so obviously the one with the reproduction of Vader in his first iteration. All the others seemed straight forward and unambiguous after a bit of research.
    I went with #8960 for number 8, assuming the 'whirring blades' meant the drill bit. That's what you get for trying to search Brickset on a mobile phone!

Had I gone on my laptop, I might have gone for the correct answer, or I might well have picked #31013.
    I went with #8960 for number 8, assuming the 'whirring blades' meant the drill bit. That's what you get for trying to search Brickset on a mobile phone!

Had I gone on my laptop, I might have gone for the correct answer, or I might well have picked #31013.
    Turns out (for me anyway) that Bricklink was a more helpful resource than the Brickset database was (at least on a couple of them).  It just seemed like the search terms on BL brought relevant sets and elements to the forefront better than BS did.
    Switchfoot55
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 577
    I actually thought that question 8 was #10745 thunder (lightning mcqueen) wearing the hudson hornet's colours... And for question 3 I originally went for the right answer, but than changed it into #60068 because of the word 'bandits'. I never thought of the forest people as bandits, that's why I changed it. 
    Even after the answers, I don't get how the train would be guessed. What's the link?
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 902
    MaffyD said:
    Even after the answers, I don't get how the train would be guessed. What's the link?
    Can't remember the exact wording of the clue, but the train had colourful stripes and was also re-released. The Santa Fe was well before my post dark ages, but even before confirming it had had a re-release, I assumed it would be that train due to the AFOL love it still receives.
    Switchfoot55
    Got 9 out of 10. Went down the Johnny Thunder route instead of the helicopter.
    M1J0E
    edited November 8
    MaffyD said:
    “Colourful stripes adorn this train, almost unmatched and released again”.

For me it came down to the only train with a re-release and “colorful stripes”.  The City trains are recycled but not exact copies I suppose.   I could be wrong but 10020 wasn’t re-released was it?

I rediscovered this article when researching the clue which also helped...
    https://brickset.com/article/31838/re-released-sets

@huw ‘s comment about the metroliner was “ Even today 4558 in particular ranks as one of the most attractive, realistic and coveted train sets of all time” which sort of clinched the “unmatched” part of the clue for me...
    MaffyD
    Yeah when I was growing up it was the train I wanted above all others (never got it), and it is on a bit of a pedestal compared to other 80s trains. It's considered the pinacle of that era.
    KungFuKenny
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,277
    Thank you for the comments everyone.

I am currently working on some further riddles and puzzles to be published on Brickset shortly. Would anybody be interested in testing them before publication? That should help to gauge the difficulty level or whether there are alternative answers which I had not considered.

Please contact me if you would be interested in assisting.
    KungFuKennySwitchfoot55pxchrisstluxM1J0E
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 4
    I might be interested.
    CCC said:
    Answers are up.

I got this one wrong: Thunder arrives with hornet shades, accompanied by whirling blades.

I went for 7417: it has Johnny Thunder, and the blades of the propeller in a yellow and black (hornet colours) plane.

Instead it was this:

After I got over looking at Avengers sets with Thor in them, I went after #7417 but was bothered by the fact it isn’t actually Johnny Thunder in the plane.  Searching Thunder on Brickset, I then came up with #5542 as the correct answer, a set I’m not actually sure I even knew existed before!
    MaffyD said:
    “Colourful stripes adorn this train, almost unmatched and released again”.

For me it came down to the only train with a re-release and “colorful stripes”.  The City trains are recycled but not exact copies I suppose.   I could be wrong but 10020 wasn’t re-released was it?

I rediscovered this article when researching the clue which also helped...
    https://brickset.com/article/31838/re-released-sets

@huw ‘s comment about the metroliner was “ Even today 4558 in particular ranks as one of the most attractive, realistic and coveted train sets of all time” which sort of clinched the “unmatched” part of the clue for me...
    I actually thought the almost unmatched part could be #4547 instead, given it’s the only double decker train car I think.  But then it would be unmatched, not almost unmatched.
    Thank you for the comments everyone.

I am currently working on some further riddles and puzzles to be published on Brickset shortly. Would anybody be interested in testing them before publication? That should help to gauge the difficulty level or whether there are alternative answers which I had not considered.

Please contact me if you would be interested in assisting.
    PM sent.
    The new riddles are a bit easier I think - I knew which theme to look in fairly quickly after reading the clue. I really liked the UCS one.
    Thought I was struggling with the last two riddles, but then had a brain wave. Think I've got them all.
    MaffyD