Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

3d printed modular lego sorting system

GBCADDICTGBCADDICT Charlotte, NC, USAMember Posts: 8
Help Needed

Comments

• GBCADDICTGBCADDICT Charlotte, NC, USAMember Posts: 8
    I designed a gravity powered lego sorter. Small problem: I know next to nothing about 3d printing and don't own a printer. the design is also untested. I am looking for someone to help with the testing.
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 117
    What format is your design in?
    If it is in a format supported by Thingiverse.com, you can upload it and order a printed copy.
    right now, it exists solely as a series of parts in Autodesk Inventor. It uses a universal tower and a series of 6 different sorters for various basic part types.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,619
    As someone who spends a great deal of time sorting parts from bulk lots, something like this is very intriguing to me. I'd be interested to see how the plans unfold. 
    edited October 24
    @Switchfoot55 I'd be glad to send you the files for testing if you want. Though you will have to tell me which sorters you want.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,619
    The concept is intriguing, but I don't own a 3D printer either and have zero insight into the process. 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,504
    edited October 25
    it occurred to me that I should probably show what the individual modules look like.

This is the tower module. It is the base around which the whole system operates.

This is the axle sorter module. It is the largest configuration at ~5 ft. in length.

This is the liftarm sorter. It was the point where I streamlined the sorter design process.

This is the 1x sorter. it sorts plates, bricks, tiles, and other system parts 1 stud wide.

This is the 2x sorter. does the same thing as the 1x, only for 2 stud wide parts.

This is the 4x sorter. does the same thing as 1x, only with 4 stud wide parts. it is also the smallest configuration.

This is the 6x sorter. does the same thing as 1x, only with 6 stud wide parts.
    Other modules are still in developement.
    I have since sliced each of the sorters into more printer-friendly sized "modules" roughly 5.7 in. long. I have also started looking into 3d printing services to get the designs printed out for testing.
    If you know of a good service let me know.