Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Marking Reviews as "Helpful" or "Unhelpful"

legolanderlegolander Member Posts: 11
edited January 2012 in Brickset.com
Hi! I've been a Brickset set member for quite some time now. And I really like the upgrades made to this site. I regret that I joined the forum so late; hence I missed one big news about a LEGO Harry Potter related project. *sigh* I wonder what that is... If it's about helping the company construct new set designs, then I'd be so willing to participate. =(

Anyway, here's something I'd like to bring up... The reviews section of the main site. I'm having problems posting my review of a particular Harry Potter set. It took me such a great deal of effort composing that and placing images along the paragraphs but then my review never got published. I saw it maybe once but got deleted after a few hours. I'm quite certain it's due to the fact that it's been marked as "unhelpful". I don't understand why some users here deliberately marked it as such. I carefully constructed it and tried my best to make sense with everything that I was saying. I do hope something can be done about this. It's quite frustrating. If only that marking thing from other members could be disabled... *another sigh*

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum!
    Reviews go through a moderation process before going live, it's possible your review was deleted by mistake. I think @Huw can dig them up, but it might just be easier if you resubmitted it. (you can always find it linked from your profile). It's very unlikely that it was removed by users, because it takes 10 'unhelpfuls' to have a review hidden, so unless it was very bad, I doubt it's due to that. If you send me a PM when you've resubmitted it, I'll take a look and approve it if it's OK.
    Cheers

Matthew
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    edited January 2012
    Is it this one? http://www.brickset.com/reviews/?ID=42343

The problem by the looks of it is the attempted use of BBCode for the image tags. The editor supports HTML and the toolbar provides a way to link to images easily.

I've inserted one of them for you, and you should be able to edit it from the link above to do the rest. I'd recommend resizing the images first though as they don't fit wht width of the page.

I am going to change the review rating system soon, and somehow try and prevent 'unhelpful' people marking reviews unhelpful just out of spite.
  • legolanderlegolander Member Posts: 11
    Big thanks for your quick responses Sir Matthew and Sir Huw! Greatly appreciated. =)

I'll see if I can make the necessary edits 'cause I'm really not sure how to resize images. Cheers! =D
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Thanks for the review, I've been on the fence about this set, as I'm trying not to get into HP, I've bought a few, but havent' decided whether to build them yet, since argos have this at £33 I think I'll bite. cheers
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    @legolander...use Photobucket or Flickr to upload your pics. On those sites you can then resize the pics (to Bricksets specs) and you'll have the code to use on the review page, message boards, etc. It's easy on those sites to resize, crop, lighten/darken photos...you name it.
    Thank you for the kind responses Sir Savage_Steel and Sir legoDad. =)

@Savage_Steel - I'm glad I was able to help you a bit in deciding. It really depends on where you think (or on which set for that matter) your money will be well-spent; regardless of whether or not you're a Harry Potter fan. =D

@legoDad - I'll surely use the ones you suggested next time. I used Tinypic so that's probably the reason why I'm having problems with the size of the images... Thanks! =D
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited January 2012
    ....Sir Savage_Steel....
    King Arthur: Old woman.
    Dennis: Man.
    King Arthur: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
    Dennis: I'm 37.
    King Arthur: What?
    Dennis: I'm 37. I'm not old.
    King Arthur: Well I can't just call you "man".
    Dennis: Well you could say "Dennis".
    King Arthur: I didn't know you were called Dennis.
    Dennis: Well you didn't bother to find out did you?

:o)
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    I thought it was 4 'unhelpfuls' that fot it removed. I for one don't think any review is unhelpful....it is an opinion. I can understand them being removed if they are 'nasty' but not so much if they are not written in the best prose. Not everybody is brilliant at English and writing reviews would surely encourage, but equally having it removed could be a major dent in confidence. Just an opinion. :)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Well I prefer Dame Savage_steel, but I'll let you off :)

@yellowcastle - awesome! Apparently they're all getting together to voice a Terry Gillian film, yay!
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,691
    @yellowcastle and @Savage_Steel its two films there is a 3d one by terry gillian and also one based off of Graham Chapmans diaries

I feel sorry for legolandr its down as unhelpful
    Forgive me, Dame Savage_Steel, for I was oblivious of your true identity. ;-D

Thanks for the sympathy fellow LEGO lovers. I re-submitted my review and I hope it'll get published this time. =)