Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New wooden collectables

Gruff666Gruff666 United KingdomMember Posts: 185
edited October 25 in Collecting
just received this email, seems interesting, cost is £109 and you have to book a 30min slot

Comments

• BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 231
    and it’s all booked out already....
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,107
    Expect to see them on eBay later on 1st November for £1090+...
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    Paging @Istokg :o)

Did LEGO make any Christmas themed wooden toys? If they did, can you share some pictures please?
    CCC said:
    LEGO advertising keyword bingo ...

Rare, check.
    Exclusive, check.
    Collectible, check.
    Limited, check.

Sold out, check.
    CCCbandit778SumoLegoKungFuKennykhmellymelkiki180703
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,294
    The wording of the invitation suggests that this product, whatever it is, will be available beyond the launch event and that all you'll miss out on by not attending will be "an exclusive LEGO Originals poster that is available at the event only".

Interested to see what it is, but I'm not sure that taking a day off to buy an unspecified wooden collectible is necessarily a good use of precious annual leave! We shall see....
    bandit778Pate5346Lego_StarThe_Rancorkhmellymelkiki180703
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,790
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,814
    @andhe The wooden ghost is especially nice! You never forget your first Lego ghost. 
    Baby_Yoda
    Does anyone know if there will be free colouring sheets with purchase after the 2nd? :oP
    sid3windr
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 373
    Lego_Star said:
    Does anyone know if there will be free colouring sheets with purchase after the 2nd? :oP
    No, but wallpaper for your phone*.

*upon purchase of £109 log, and 1000 VIP credits
    SumoLegoLego_Starsid3windrkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,090
    "Be the first to get this exclusive limited edition product globally."

Sounds a lot like a Seinfeld bit.  "This is a Ford Ltd.  It is 'limited' to the maximum number that we can sell."

I'm not falling for this clumsy marketing.  Maybe if I order now, they'll send me a free juicer and I'll only have to pay for shipping and handling?

Blah.
    KungFuKennyBaby_YodaLego_Starkiki180703
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 659
    It's log!
    AstrobricksPyrobugobi_gJackad7catwranglerkiki180703panchox1
    colay said:
    Lego_Star said:
    No, but wallpaper for your phone*.

*upon purchase of £109 log, and 1000 VIP credits
    Why would I want wallpaper for my phone? Am I not supposed to see the screen?! The paste doesn't seem to ...gurgle gurgle...swish swish...gurgle gurgle! 

Just if we are gonna go old school?! No?!

Anyway, would it not be better to offer a free LEGO branded display cabinet free with purchase of ten? Or with two UCS Falcons? Oooooooh teak! I love a bit of teak! Classy! (Just kidding, obvs.)
    Baby_Yoda
  • BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 231
    Did anybody here get a slot? 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,955
    I wonder if this will be a plain wooden duck that you have to paint yourself.

It's wooden, it is one of their Originals and if you have to decorate it, then it makes sense that you can see their designers versions.
    andheLego_Starsid3windr
    edited October 21
    ^ They do have some very talented graphic designers on the team, so that sounds like a real possibility @ccc.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 792
    “Home decor design piece” may well be something you could choose to decorate yourself but that makes it sound less like a duck and more like a single large scale brick or something like that. I get the feeling they might’ve used the word ‘toy’ if they had meant wooden duck.

I’ve been stashing a hoard of VIP points for a bit of time now so it might not be a problem for me, but if this wooden product is only available by redeeming a large amount of VIP points it could be frustrating for some.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 262
    The one on the Brickset homepage seemed to suggest a laser-engraved plaque of some sort.  

But to me, 120 quid is smurfing nuts. Especially when YOU have to do part of the work. The US equivalent of 120 quid can go a long way in terms of decent woodworking tools. 
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 911
    I`m not so surprised about the cost of the wooden `decor design piece` - take a look at the cost of some wooden toys out there at the moment. My family are really into Grimms. Its a German company and the wooden toys are made from `sustainably managed forests`, `coated in natural oils`, and painted in `non-toxic, water-based colours`. Of course, you can critique the real meaning of these statements, but essentially, the message is that it can cost a good amount of money for a high-quality wooden toy. 

catwrangler
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 377
    edited October 22
    Wooden? Decorative? Is this the output of the LEGO-IKEA partnership? 
    (kidding) 
    sid3windrkhmellymel
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 885
    Nothing will beat what one of the guys up here can do, minifig skeletons, ghost (with chain), rocket boy, r2d2, classic spaceman complete with moon buggy with all individual parts to scale using different woods and he doesnt sell them.

Im aiming to make a handmade large scale wooden fig some point. Going to be fun to make!
    jnscoelho said:
    Wooden? Decorative? Is this the output of the LEGO-IKEA partnership? 
    (kidding) 
    It does say decor design, so it might be.

Although it also says wooden, and partnering with Ikea would probably mean melamine coated particle board ...

klintongraphiteSumoLegokhmellymeldmcc0kiki180703
    It might well be those figures, with LEGO doing it to stop others selling them and claiming it is OK as LEGO don't make them.

Banksy is doing something similar at the moment for trademark reasons (or possibly just another art stunt).

catwrangler
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,504
    edited October 22
    nexander said:
    Nothing will beat what one of the guys up here can do, minifig skeletons, ghost (with chain), rocket boy, r2d2, classic spaceman complete with moon buggy with all individual parts to scale using different woods and he doesnt sell them.
    You mean what @andhe posted above?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,790
    @Astrobricks yes that's his photostream I believe!
    Astrobricks
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 538
    edited October 22
    I'd put my money on the classic pull along duck (75% likely) or one of the various classic red vehicles (25% likely, with 75% probability it is the firetruck if it is a vehicle). 
    This type of event feels like a nostalgia grab. Maybe I'm wrong and the TLG will surprise us.
    Edit: 
    Nevermind, I just reread the original announcement, it will be a wooden mosaic,  you get 30 minutes to pick/take the picture.
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 885
    You mean what @andhe posted above?
    Thats the man, it isnt his photo stream, its another lug members. You can read more about the man himself here. 

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/11/26/brilliant-custom-handcrafted-wooden-lego-builds-by-craig-daniel-feature/amp/

I have displayed alongside him a few times and his stuff never fails to impress in person.  Havent been able to get him down for our events down here unfortunately!
    FireheartAstrobricksdmcc0andhe
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 559
    Whatever it ends up being, major kudos to LEGO for hitting the nostalgia market like that. I hope we'll see something of this in the US as well.
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 517
    Just  got another email through saying there’s more spaces to book for the event again. Might be worth trying to book if you missed out and are still interested.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 504
    On the Friday it does say now fully booked, but also:

This event is fully booked, however there are limited walk in spaces available on the day.
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 760
    I got the second email and managed to book a 10am slot on Sat 2/Nov. However, I want to see more details on the wooden item being sold and whether we definitely can purchase it if I make the slow and expensive trip down to London.
    ^ I guess that is why they will also have walk-in spaces, when people pull out as it is not for them after all.

I don't know why LEGO cannot just be upfront and say what the product is. Why is all the cloak and dagger needed?

andhe
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 760
    I should read things more closely! It looks like the only benefit of being at the event is that you get a free poster! :(

The collectable item itself looks like it will be available later for anyone to purchase.
    CCC said:
    I don't know why LEGO cannot just be upfront and say what the product is. Why is all the cloak and dagger needed?

Marketing. This way they raise even more interest. 
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 504
    I should read things more closely! It looks like the only benefit of being at the event is that you get a free poster! :(

The collectable item itself looks like it will be available later for anyone to purchase.
    Exactly why I didn’t book, I want to see what it is first.. and that you have to register your VIP number, I didn’t want to be put on the naughty list for not attending after booking :) 
    jnscoelho said:
    CCC said:

Which could well lead to disappointment later.
    CCC said:
    jnscoelho said:
    CCC said:

Sure. Same thing happens with trailers and movies.
    jnscoelho said:
    CCC said:
    jnscoelho said:
    CCC said:

Sure. Same thing happens with trailers and movies.
    Yes, although at least you know which movie you are going to see when you book.
    edited October 24
    For ex., you know it's a Star Wars movie. You don't exactly know how it's going to be (what the product, aka story, is) or if it will be good or not.
    Here, you know it's a LEGO wooden product. You don't exactly know how it's going to be (what the product is) or if it will be good or not.
    edited October 24
    jnscoelho said:
    For ex., you know it's a Star Wars movie. You don't exactly know how it's going to be (what the product, aka story, is) or if it will be good or not.
    Here, you know it's a LEGO wooden product. You don't exactly know how it's going to be (what the product is) or if it will be good or not.
    There is a big difference here though. If it is a Star Wars movie, chances are it will be like other SW movies.

Whereas this wooden LEGO collectable item will not be like regular LEGO sets. Not telling people what the product is that they are signing up for is more likely to lead to disappointment, especially if they have to travel a reasonable distance to attend the event.

• TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,334
    Plus most films can be seen for less than £110!
    KungFuKennyandhegmonkey76
    Presumably this is also a pay on the day event, as otherwise I expect that they will get a lot of returns if people get there and find the item (plus the poster) is not worth £110. I imagine some people will pull out if early attendees put what it is on social media and later attendees see it and decide against attending, thus leaving booked slots unused. Or they might attend, do whatever the event is, then choose not to buy after doing it. Whereas if people know what it is they are going to be asked to buy beforehand, then chances are each slot will actually lead to a purchase as anyone signing up will be willing to purchase the item.
    Now if they were offering an exclusive wooden VIP card and year of wooden offers/prizes to go with it...
    Presumably made from ebony?

SumoLegoFizyx
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,090
    And ivory... 

(...live together in perfect harmony...)
    panchox1560Heliportgmonkey76brickventuresTheOriginalSimonBmustang69SeijiAmasawakiki180703
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 651
    CCC said:
    Presumably this is also a pay on the day event, as otherwise I expect that they will get a lot of returns if people get there and find the item (plus the poster) is not worth £110. I imagine some people will pull out if early attendees put what it is on social media and later attendees see it and decide against attending, thus leaving booked slots unused. Or they might attend, do whatever the event is, then choose not to buy after doing it. Whereas if people know what it is they are going to be asked to buy beforehand, then chances are each slot will actually lead to a purchase as anyone signing up will be willing to purchase the item.

I really don't think that the people who attend these sorts of events much care what the actual product is. They'll just buy it because it's collectible. Either they want it for their own collections, or they're keen to flip it for profit to collectors. 
    jnscoelhoandheLostInTranslation
    klinton said:
    CCC said:

I really don't think that the people who attend these sorts of events much care what the actual product is. They'll just buy it because it's collectible. Either they want it for their own collections, or they're keen to flip it for profit to collectors. 
    Which leads to the question, how crap does something have to be before people stop buying it just because it is marked with a LEGO logo? This appears not to be an exclusive (just the poster is) so probably not going to be possible to flip it for profit.

This could be a great product of course, and well worth £110. But if it is something that you don't like when you get there, would you part with £110 for it? Personally, I'd be a bit pissed if I travelled there to attend this and it turns out to be something I don't like. Pissed enough not to believe LEGO again if they did similar things in future. Now where have we heard that before ...? Oh yeah:

Now if they were offering an exclusive wooden VIP card and year of wooden offers/prizes to go with it...

560Heliport
    CCC said:
    klinton said:
    CCC said:

Which leads to the question, how crap does something have to be before people stop buying it just because it is marked with a LEGO logo? This appears not to be an exclusive (just the poster is) so probably not going to be possible to flip it for profit.

This could be a great product of course, and well worth £110. But if it is something that you don't like when you get there, would you part with £110 for it? Personally, I'd be a bit pissed if I travelled there to attend this and it turns out to be something I don't like. Pissed enough not to believe LEGO again if they did similar things in future. Now where have we heard that before ...? Oh yeah:

Well, some people wanted that new CMF just for the dog poo piece, so... 

More seriously, in state things are I believe there's no limit for some collectors and brand-followers. If it's LEGO, it can be literal crap. It's a sickness, buy you see the same with many other brands. 
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 559
    So a wooden minifig it is! Looks like this will be a very fun collectible. 
    SumoLego