Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego system buildings

Aussie84Aussie84 Utah, USAMember Posts: 4
So today I found out there is a store close by that buys legos, I thought I'd dig mine up since they have been under the bed since 2000 when we brought them with us from Australia. I decided to dig through and get out anything not lego related. While doing so I found a brick that read "Esso Service" and decided to google it. Found that these might be some what collectible so dug some more and started pulling out any bricks that might make the Esso service station, I'm still digging but so far I've found signs for "Hotel" "Kiosk" "fire Station" and another Essos service brick, plus tones of windows, doors, garage doors and parts for the church. I'll upload a picture of what I have right now but I still have more to dig through. With me not having any idea on this, I'd appreciate anyone's help. Should I sell the bulk to the store, or is it worth me separating the pieces and possibly selling them on ebay to people that might appreciate them? I'm really not sure of their worth. Thank you

Comments

• Aussie84Aussie84 Utah, USAMember Posts: 4

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,042
    Those are some vintage LEGO... @Istokg
    Aussie84FizyxmadforLEGOkiki180703mak0137
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,377
    Paging @LusiferSam ; as well
    Aussie84mak0137
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    The bricks with the engraved names on are typically $0.20-2.00 each, if you can find someone to buy them. For the rest, if it is a pile of bricks with no manual or box, then it is not much value to collectors.
    Aussie84
    Ok, good to know. So not even the constructed esso service station or if I was to build the other buildings with the "pile of bricks" it's not worth anything? Basically you're saying its the box and manual that's what collectors want?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    It is worth something, if you can find the right person to buy it. Although it seems to be missing the truck, the pumps, etc.
    mak0137
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 265
    I would suggest that get everything together. See if you have any sets that are complete or have majority of the bricks, especially the unique ones. Take a picture of each set and then get an opinion on value and route you want to take to sell them. More hassle, patience may mean more money. Less work and quick offloading would get less money.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 481
    The answer is far more nuanced than that.  Boxes and the booklets add value.  Having just a box by itself is not a huge value (unless it is an ultra rare box).  Same with the booklets. You quite literally need all of the right pieces (pun intended) to get the maximum value out of a loose set: correct pieces, box and booklets (if any).

As far as the pile of bricks go, the name beams are most valuable in this lot.  But a number of them aren't in the best shape.  It's hard to tell but these look like they are ABS and not CA bricks.  CA bricks in this condition would be worth more.  An assembled set is more valuable than a random assortment of bricks.  But is still just an assembled set, particularly if it's missing the rare or unique elements for that set. 

There are collectors that would want period (and sometime regionally) correct pieces when assembling or completing a set.  Some sellers on Bricklink will sort bricks by internal makings (pat pend, void, part id, etc), pip location, logo, font and any other minor detail they can observe.  Most charge a premium for the extra work involved in that level of sorting.  The question is you have enough bricks to put this level of detail in?  And are you will to wait for the one buyer?

It helps to use the correct name when calling my attention to a thread.  Otherwise it's just a random click on my part.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    edited October 15
    You do have the 310 Esso Service Station building (no tanker truck, Esso Sign/Pumps, door should be white).  Maybe you could sell that separately (no box).  You would need another garage door frame...
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=821&colorID=1

... and then you could either build a 236 Garage, or maybe just a 235 Garage Kit (no box).

Sadly the rarest part I see there is the black ESSO SERVICE sign, but not in good condition.  These are always in blue (except for early style print, where it can be blue or red).  I have only ever seen USA Samsonite black ESSO SERVICE printed signs once... a seller (Samsonite employee offspring) had 20 of them.  Never seen them anytime since.

If you have more old parts... we would need to see them in order to make further evaluations....

I built the service station and I do have the other garage door frame. I've found so much of the blocks I feel I could build another servo, plus more buildings. I understand I won't get top dollar and I'm not looking for that, I'm just more looking to sell to someone who would appreciate it over taking it to a store that will throw it in a bulk bin. I'll build some more, post pics and then probably put them on ebay. I thought they may be more of a sentimental thing for people. 
     After building the servo I do remember having a book and building a ship out of these blocks as a kid.