LEGO Robot Wars / BattleBots

PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,450
I'm slightly surprised there's no topic for this already, so I thought I'd create one.

To start us off, here's the highlights from the 'LEGO Robot Wars' held at The Great Western Brick Show in Swindon, UK, last weekend:

The rules we follow are:

Robot rules:
- must weigh no more than 1kg
- must fit inside a 32 stud cube (approx 25cm)
- must use genuine unmodified LEGO parts

Fight rules:
- last a maximum of 2 minutes
- ends when a robot is immobilised, goes down the pit or goes out of the arena
- if there's no clear winner after 2 mins, the winner is decided by audience vote
Mr_Crossbandit778FizyxBaby_YodastluxWookie2TXLegoguysnowhitieCCCGothamConstructionCoLittleLoriomniumklatu003TechnicNick

Comments

• Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,571
    Here is at least one battle from Brickcon 2019 this past weekend. I was able to watch a few rounds. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/delza4/brickcon_2019_lego_bite_force_vs_rookie_bot_first/
    klatu003
  • panchox1panchox1 ColoradoMember Posts: 27
    fun stuff. But so many just seem to drive themselves right into the pit.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 781
    This is absolutely fantastic!  Lots of unorthodox designs, and they seem to be doing pretty well overall, which is great!  The pit is what makes it really great I think, because it allows for some of the not explicitly 'destruction' themed bots to perform better than they might have otherwise, and allows for some spectacular self owns :P

I could definitely see this being just as much of a highlight to a show as the GBC loops have become.  I think they compliment each other really well, actually, and I could probably go to a show and watch one or the other all day and never get bored!
    Paperballparkdrdavewatford
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,450
    panchox1 said:
    fun stuff. But so many just seem to drive themselves right into the pit.
    It's the fourth year of running it, and the arena has developed a pronounced ridge on this side of the pit, and also has a bit of a dip to the 'top' of the pit. These account for some of the stranger ones where they seem to turn towards the pit and drop in. There'll likely be a new arena for next year.

As for the others, the Power Functions IR system isn't amazing in a wide open space like that, and the signal can sometimes fluctuate, giving less control over the robots. Maybe the Powered Up system will work better, although it's more expensive. Someone tried s-bricks at a different show a few years back, but found that the system got overwhelmed with the amount of devices in range when the public were there. They switched to IR!
    Fizyxstluxpanchox1
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,293
    yeah the challenge seems to be more about controlling your robot correctly than fighting the other ones.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,853
    Thanks for sharing these. We are just rewatching Robot Wars on DVD and missing the BBC programme, this is great fun too. Some very cool designs.
    Paperballpark
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 794
    Really enjoyed that, though I think the pit won this tournament :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    They look great fun, although the driving does seem rather lacking in skills. Was the sheep like thing there just to get beaten up, or does it have some defenses?

Although nothing beats Robot Wars as done in Phoenix Nights.

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    CCC said:
    Was the sheep like thing there just to get beaten up....?
    This, and hence the name....
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
    That was surprisingly enjoyable to watch.
    Paperballpark
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    CCC said:
    Ah, I skipped over the first section and didn't realise they were named!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    CCC said:
    CCC said:
    Ah, I skipped over the first section and didn't realise they were named!
    :-)

"Sacrificial lamb" was spot on as it was designed to crumble following minimal provocation!
    FizyxPaperballpark
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,450
    Yeah I realised that this year there would be a lack of robots built to have bits bashed off them, and that what we needed was a sacrificial lamb, so to speak. So 4 days before the show, I built Sacrificial Lamb! It did its job admirably. There's a timelapse on the Brickish Facebook page of a half-hour rebuild of it.

What you don't see in the video (but which was demonstrated to the audience before each battle it was in) is how the battery box inside it is switched on... ;)
    stluxSirBenFizyxLittleLoriomnium
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    ^ Let's just say that the announcer didn't explain to the kids how it was done :-)
    Fizyxomnium