Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I’m wondering how to sell my Star Wars LEGO collection

StarwarslegoStarwarslego Central Florida Member Posts: 2
I’m not sure the best way to go about it. Do I keep them whole or do I break them down in to bags. I have the book the box and bags they came in. I have around 75+ sets. If I could get some advice to the best way to go about it. Thank you
 https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Legostarwars25

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    Bigger sets, sell individually. Smaller sets, group similar ones together.
    It doesn't really matter if assembled / disassembled in bags, but what is important is that they are checked for completeness.

Starwarslego
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 623

I'm assuming that you'll be selling the sets individually as opposed to a bulk lot:

As a buyer of used sets, I greatly prefer that the sets be broken up prior to delivery; it's much easier to verify that all the correct parts and minifigures are included, and usually the shipping costs are lower since you don't need a larger box to ship the mostly-intact built model.  And when shipping whole sets usually lots of parts get broken off anyway, so the buyer ends up having to break it apart and rebuild anyway.

If you have the original box and instructions, I recommend to put all the parts into sealed baggies (ziplock or equivalent) and put them with the instructions into the original box, then put the original box into a shipping box with appropriate padding for protection (pro tip #1: add padding inside the LEGO box as well, to prevent the box from caving in during the shipping process).  If the buyer doesn't want the box or you can ship it flat, then you might be able to use a smaller shipping box and some shipping cost savings might be realized.  (Pro tip #2: don't use newspaper as padding, the ink tends to rub off against the box/parts and make them appear dirtier than they might really be, and your buyers will be displeased.) (Pro tip #3: use enough padding so that when the shipping box is closed, the box/parts are not able to move around when you shake the box, especially if the item is heavy and the shipping box is quite a bit larger than the item being shipped (years of buying and selling experience talking here!))

Finally, take lots of pictures (especially of rare/unique parts and minifigures) and be as honest as possible about condition, part substitutions, missing parts, etc. in the item description or customer communications so that there is no confusion or ill will about the transaction.  ebay has the largest audience but the highest seller fees, Bricklink has more set buyers than Brickowl, but Brickowl has slightly lower fees and fewer sets for sale, so you might be the only seller of a particular used set on BO if you go that route.  Craigslist is better for local bulk sales (usually), and there is the marketplace right here on the Brickset forums as well.  Best of luck to you!

FizyxStarwarslegodrdavewatfordAstrobricksLego_Starbandit778
  • StarwarslegoStarwarslego Central Florida Member Posts: 2
    Oldfan said:

I'm assuming that you'll be selling the sets individually as opposed to a bulk lot:

As a buyer of used sets, I greatly prefer that the sets be broken up prior to delivery; it's much easier to verify that all the correct parts and minifigures are included, and usually the shipping costs are lower since you don't need a larger box to ship the mostly-intact built model.  And when shipping whole sets usually lots of parts get broken off anyway, so the buyer ends up having to break it apart and rebuild anyway.

If you have the original box and instructions, I recommend to put all the parts into sealed baggies (ziplock or equivalent) and put them with the instructions into the original box, then put the original box into a shipping box with appropriate padding for protection (pro tip #1: add padding inside the LEGO box as well, to prevent the box from caving in during the shipping process).  If the buyer doesn't want the box or you can ship it flat, then you might be able to use a smaller shipping box and some shipping cost savings might be realized.  (Pro tip #2: don't use newspaper as padding, the ink tends to rub off against the box/parts and make them appear dirtier than they might really be, and your buyers will be displeased.) (Pro tip #3: use enough padding so that when the shipping box is closed, the box/parts are not able to move around when you shake the box, especially if the item is heavy and the shipping box is quite a bit larger than the item being shipped (years of buying and selling experience talking here!))

Finally, take lots of pictures (especially of rare/unique parts and minifigures) and be as honest as possible about condition, part substitutions, missing parts, etc. in the item description or customer communications so that there is no confusion or ill will about the transaction.  ebay has the largest audience but the highest seller fees, Bricklink has more set buyers than Brickowl, but Brickowl has slightly lower fees and fewer sets for sale, so you might be the only seller of a particular used set on BO if you go that route.  Craigslist is better for local bulk sales (usually), and there is the marketplace right here on the Brickset forums as well.  Best of luck to you!

Wow brotha thank you!! That’s a lot of things I did not think about either! I really appreciate it.. it’s a mix of big and small, for 2017 and 2018 I think both years I have like 70 to 80 percent for the year.. I got married and life changed its course for the better!! But I love legos and the memories I would much rather another builder like us enjoy them!!
    it seems like taking pics and breaking them done will be the best way to go!! Thank you!! 
    drdavewatford
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 372
    Cheaply and to me! :) Lol

No, what he said ^

Happy selling
    Lego_StarSumoLego
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,469
    Congratulations on getting married. Before selling off all your Lego, keep in mind that it will likely be more expensive to buy it back if you have kids in a few years and they decide to get into Lego.
    coconutbKungFuKennyFizyxSumoLegodavetheoxygenmanStarwarslego
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,286
    Before selling off all your Lego, keep in mind that it will likely be more expensive to buy it back if you have kids in a few years and they decide to get into Lego.
    Or even if, like many adults, you get back into LEGO at some point in the future. If that's the case then I can guarantee that you'll be cursing your decision to sell....
    FizyxKungFuKennySumoLegoAstrobricksdavetheoxygenmanStarwarslego560Heliport