Brick built letters

bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
Hey there everybody, been a real long time since I’ve been on here!

I’m looking to build a studio model and want to put the word “STAGE” built in the same style seen in the detective office/ fire hall modular etc. I would try to figure it out myself but I’m working on LDD right now and it’s hard for me to play around with stuff like that when I don’t have real bricks in front of me. If there’s a directory to an alphabet somebody made in this style that would be dopest.

Any help from some folks much smarter than me would be really appreciated.

thanks guys!
shikadi

Comments

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    shikadi said:
    Thank you very much this is actually extremely helpful!
    shikadi
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 343
    Nice guide, thank you :)
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 323
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are a number of building techniques which aren't at all legal, namely, anything that connects System with Technic. As early as pages 3 and 4 in Chapter 1, where a 1x3 plate is put in the 3 holes of a 1x4 Technic brick and a 1x1 Technic brick with pin is used to create a sideways window, problematic building techniques appear.  The center points of the studs in System SNOT bricks are not the same height as Technic bricks: if you take a 1x1 brick with stud on one side and put it next to a 1x1 Technic brick with pin, those studs on the side of the brick aren't the same height. Check out Jamie Berard's excellent powerpoint called Stressing The Elements. The above-referenced article seems to be published before the 1x1 brick with side stud existed, so there are a number of illegal builds. 
    Paperballparkbobabricksstlux
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    edited October 6
    MrJackson said:
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are a number of building techniques which aren't at all legal, namely, anything that connects System with Technic. As early as pages 3 and 4 in Chapter 1, where a 1x3 plate is put in the 3 holes of a 1x4 Technic brick and a 1x1 Technic brick with pin is used to create a sideways window, problematic building techniques appear.  The center points of the studs in System SNOT bricks are not the same height as Technic bricks: if you take a 1x1 brick with stud on one side and put it next to a 1x1 Technic brick with pin, those studs on the side of the brick aren't the same height. Check out Jamie Berard's excellent powerpoint called Stressing The Elements. The above-referenced article seems to be published before the 1x1 brick with side stud existed, so there are a number of illegal builds. 
    I saw all those and noticed that a lot are illegal, which is whatever, build how you feel unless you’re a set designer. Thankfully though, the guide for “modular style” letters are in there and all use legal building techniques which is exactly what I was looking for
  • panchox1panchox1 ColoradoMember Posts: 27
    Legal/Illegal?
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,228
    ^ You really have to be careful these days. After so many deaths from stepping on a Lego brick, certain building techniques have been declared illegal in most countries.
    PyrobugSwitchfoot55panchox1AstrobricksKungFuKenny
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 324
    Honestly, I scoff at the whole "illegal" thing.  When I buy Lego, I will put them together how I see fit.  If someone else doesn't like it, that's their problem.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 873
    ^ That's perfectly okay, LEGO just doesn't want to tell you to do something that might break your parts.
    CCCFizyxAstrobricksBaby_Yodastlux
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 323
    daewoo said:
    ....how I see fit....
    That's kinda the whole point about illegal connections is that they don't actually, well, fit. 
    AstrobricksBaby_Yodastlux
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,468
    ^ That's perfectly okay, LEGO just doesn't want to tell you to do something that might break your parts.
    Yeah, the “legal/illegal” terminology is kind of unfortunate, but not meant to be taken literally. But if your goal is to MOC something and show it off to others, you may get some disappointed people who will say you cheated. So, it’s more like bending or breaking the rules of a game.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 333
    panchox1 said:
    Legal/Illegal?
    What does it say about my life that the closest I get to illegal these days is rebelling against standard Lego building practices? 🙂
    560HeliportPyrobugBaby_Yodacatwranglerpxchris
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 348
    shikadi said:
    Thanks for the link. I've not seen it before, but the SNOT letters table will prove very useful for a shop name I am planning to write (either FISH or CHIPS).
    LittleLori
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 333
    RogerKirk said:
    Thanks for the link. I've not seen it before, but the SNOT letters table will prove very useful for a shop name I am planning to write (either FISH or CHIPS).
    Why can’t your poor customers have both?  :-)
    LittleLoriPyrobugAstrobricksBumblepants560HeliportFizyxBaby_Yoda
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,468
    RogerKirk said:
    Why can’t your poor customers have both?  :-)
    Sorry, ma’am. I can’t serve chips. There wasn’t enough room on the sign.
    KungFuKennyBumblepantsFizyxPyrobugcatwranglerBaby_Yoda
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 343
    Serve 'Fhips' or 'Chish' instead then
    KungFuKenny560HeliportFizyxBaby_Yodapanchox1