Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

When is the best time to buy Lego?

Hey all,

To provide some context, I am interested in the Hidden Side theme but I'm not interested enough to buy the sets at full price. When is the best time to buy sets, if there is one? Do all sets usually go on sale on Amazon or the Lego store, or does it depend on the set? Do sets go up in price immediately after retiring? These are just a few of the questions I would greatly appreciate to have answered.

Thanks!

Comments

• milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 526
    All Hidden Side sets are already between 28% and 40% off in the UK. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them at 50% at some point though
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    Same here, for Hidden Side, wait. LEGO seem to have badly judged the market here. I was thinking of buying them for the kids but the highly limited range of tablets / phones for the augmented reality side of the theme put me off. Presumably it has also put others off and the sets are already quite heavily discounted in a number of stores.

Other sets, unless they are really poor sellers, are rarely on sale at LEGO / lego.com, but often at non-LEGO retail stores. In the UK, we can usually get 30% off at some stage although it seems these days that some sets are priced to sell at a discount.
    catwrangler
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 373
    CCC said:
    Same here, for Hidden Side, wait. LEGO seem to have badly judged the market here. I was thinking of buying them for the kids but the highly limited range of tablets / phones for the augmented reality side of the theme put me off. Presumably it has also put others off and the sets are already quite heavily discounted in a number of stores.
    All general themes are constantly on shelves and getting discounted. Only UCS/D2C/exclusives don't suffer from this. Therefore, I don't understand why seeing sets from a certain theme on shelves (if the seller didn't have any, it wouldn't be a great seller, would it?) and discounted (everybody knows that LEGO RRP is unrealistic and they mark it already counting on the discounts) is a sign that the theme is failing. In that case, I guess Marvel, City, Friends, Duplo, Star Wars, ..., are huge failures. In recent years all of these themes have sets discounted in main resellers right after release , and sets from all of these themescan be seen in shelves for more than their respective "lifespan".
    jnscoelho said:
    CCC said:
    All general themes are constantly on shelves and getting discounted. Only UCS/D2C/exclusives don't suffer from this. Therefore, I don't understand why seeing sets from a certain theme on shelves (if the seller didn't have any, it wouldn't be a great seller, would it?) and discounted (everybody knows that LEGO RRP is unrealistic and they mark it already counting on the discounts) is a sign that the theme is failing. In that case, I guess Marvel, City, Friends, Duplo, Star Wars, ..., are huge failures. In recent years all of these themes have sets discounted in main resellers right after release , and sets from all of these themescan be seen in shelves for more than their respective "lifespan".
    Yes, all themes at some stage are discounted, often at similar times to other themes in store promotions and other store price matching theme. I know some people have bought them from seeing them on youtube and so on, but none of the families we know have them. I've also never seen anyone buying them in stores. However, the comments on here about sales in John Lewis are particularly relevant https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/comment/634522

• jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 373
    edited October 4
    I have to agree with what Fyzix said there:
    "That's surprising.  (...) it just came out.  Feels like it might be a little early to be making that call to be honest."

Here in Portugal they haven't been on shelves for a month. It's super recent.
    I don't understand why LEGO thought that mixing cell phones and bricks was a good idea and I don't like the theme, for that and for the designs, but it's still too soon to take any conclusions... 
    jnscoelho said:

I don't understand why LEGO thought that mixing cell phones and bricks was a good idea and I don't like the theme, for that and for the designs, but it's still too soon to take any conclusions... 
    Again! They did it in Fusion too, which didn't exactly go places.

As for HS, they have been out two months here, and that is probably enough time for a store that shifts a lot of LEGO product to know if it is selling.
  • LenzenKingLenzenKing TXMember Posts: 8
    Thanks for the input everybody. I will definitely be checking stores for discounts in the future. I'm still not entirely sold on Hidden Side to begin with, considering I don't care very much for the AR features, but maybe if I find a really good deal...
  • KeilupKeilup Frisco, TXMember Posts: 144
    @Astrobricks covered it well.  Basically is my strategy.  Only other thing I'll add is watching Facebook sales groups, Offer Up, 5Miles, and Letgo and to a lesser extent Craigslist and eBay.  You can find NISB stuff sometimes at great price, but this is the way to go to get best deals on used sets and bulk.  If you're willing to wait and are patient, you'll probably start finding used HS stuff for good prices not too far down the road.
    AstrobricksLenzenKingSumoLegocatwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,042
    CCC said:
    ...I was thinking of buying them for the kids but the highly limited range of tablets / phones for the augmented reality side of the theme put me off...
    Considering one needs a fairly new iPad or a brand-new smartphone, LEGO did a smashing job shutting themselves out of most the market that would be interested in the features of the App.  The game is pretty cool, but I'm hesitant to hand over my $1000.00 phone to my 6 year-old nephew to chase ghosts.
    catwranglerBaby_YodaLittleLori
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,042
    - writes check for $100.00 deductible -

Again...
    KungFuKennycatwranglerBaby_Yodadavetheoxygenman
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 625
    Yeah, I don't understand what they were thinking, employing a state of the art engine for an app for kids. I assumed that I'm just sorely out of touch with modern parenting, but all the comments I've seen seem to suggest it really was a misstep. Unless they were thinking long term? Two years from now, today's top end devices will be passé and if the line were a wild success, it could still be thriving when kids get their parents' hand me down phones. It could rejuvenate interest in the (previously purchased) sets all over again?

The app holds little appeal to me personally (I just freaking love the designs and the 'fidget friendly' transformation features), but I can see that the inability to play it might devastate kids. I collected the hell out of the Captain Power toys as a kid solely to have a new toy to pull out for the Saturday morning show. When it went off the air, the toys lingered in the toy box until my mom tossed them out. :p
    catwranglerBaby_Yoda
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 473
    klinton said:
    Yeah, I don't understand what they were thinking, employing a state of the art engine for an app for kids.
    According to the Hidden Side system requirements it can run on phones as old as an iPhone SE or 6s (which came out in 2015!) ... so I suspect that it is the operating system requirements that are the issue... for the AR to work ARKit 2 (on iOS) is needed, and that just came out in summer of 2018 I believe.  Unfortunately the app may just be a bit ahead of its time as far as most of the public having the tech to use it...
    SumoLego said:
    CCC said:
    ...I was thinking of buying them for the kids but the highly limited range of tablets / phones for the augmented reality side of the theme put me off...
    Considering one needs a fairly new iPad or a brand-new smartphone, LEGO did a smashing job shutting themselves out of most the market that would be interested in the features of the App.  The game is pretty cool, but I'm hesitant to hand over my $1000.00 phone to my 6 year-old nephew to chase ghosts.
    I'd have to buy that $1000 phone first ...

There are a number of augmented reality apps that run perfectly well on the majority of Android phones in existence. Maybe they wanted to be elitist, but to me it is a backfire. The sets are great, but if there are likely to be large discounts because something is putting off buyers, then I can wait.
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,226
    My phone is a two year old android phone, which was a middle of the range one when I got it and the app works fine. 
    KungFuKennyFizyxcatwranglerMaffyD
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,804
    That's interesting; I have a Moto G5 and had assumed the app wouldn't be an option for me, but I'll have to look into that. After I dump a ton of stuff off it to make space. Oh well, for Lego ghosts, I'll make the sacrifice...
    KungFuKenny
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,469
    That's interesting; I have a Moto G5 and had assumed the app wouldn't be an option for me, but I'll have to look into that. After I dump a ton of stuff off it to make space. Oh well, for Lego ghosts, I'll make the sacrifice...
    Check the Play store before you clear off anything. I checked this morning to see if I could get the app through the desktop Play store, it came up as not compatible with any of my devices.
    catwrangler
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,804
    Good to know, thanks!