Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Fairground / Amusement Park theme discussion

Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 943
I couldn’t find a thread for general discussion, so I thought I’d open one. Though it is prompted by a rather specific question I have.

Recently I picked up the Roller Coaster (very excited about the build ahead). I have the Ferris Wheel and the Fairground Mixer, but not the Carousel. I’m all out of LEGO budget for the foreseeable, so I’ve been pondering going the trade route for the Carousel. And it’s the Fairground Mixer I’ve been thinking of putting up for trade.

Thing is, I think I prefer the ‘core’ of the Mixer, but I was never as fond of all the appendages (the trucks, dunk tank, etc.). The tidiness of the Carousel appeals to me. It also looks like a better fit with the others, which I know is a discussion that has been had around these parts before. 

Can anyone who has both sets give me a balanced view? I know we generally don’t do “should I buy this” discussions, but still...

And in keeping with the more ‘general’ discussion idea - are folks hopeful for a 2020 addition to the theme?

Comments

• DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 211
    The great thing with a lot of the fairground sets is that it’s fairly easy to take the inner core of the ride and MOC around it to create a better finished product. Although I’ve not got around to doing it for the mixer yet, it does seem like one of those where you could do so much to it.

The Carousel is probably hardest to MOC as it already has a very elaborate and beautifully decorated finish, and the very specific cloth pieces for the roof, though of course you could swap put the animals for horses etc. As a stand-alone set, IMO it’s the best of the lot and if the Ferris Wheel retiring last year is anything to go by, if I didn’t already own it I’d be trying to get my hands on it ASAP.

As for 2020, who knows. I was very hopeful for a 2019 addition, but alas nothing in the Creator Expert line, though more generally there was loads of amusement sets in Friends, Creator 3 in 1, Jurassic World, the City People pack and the Legoland exclusive park set.
    sid3windr
  • timmeyhtimmeyh BelgiumMember Posts: 2
    I hope that 2020 will feature the Starflyer / Skyflyer (following the shadow-in-the-background-on-the-box hints)
    MCNwakeboard
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 887
    Don't know if this helps, but I didn't like the look of the Mixer until I realised it all packed away on the truck. Absolutely genius! If you want tidy, it's amazing how the whole lots packs away onto two trucks. Although I agree with you in that in general, I dislike all the little ancillary builds you get with a lot of sets.
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 121
    edited October 3
    I will probably end up buying the Carousel set soon, but I’m very disappointed that none of the animals are equine. What real carousel doesn’t have a horse or at least a zebra?!

Has anybody seen or attempted a MOC of different animals?
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited October 3
    The old carousel #10196 has brick built equines as a potential template - might be harder to make a stripy version though...
    autolycus
    luckyruss said:
    The old carousel #10196 has brick built equines as a potential template - might be harder to make a stripy version though...
    Duh. Didn’t even think to look at what animals that one had! Looks like there’s a printed piece involved though. But at least it gives me a starting point. I’m not the most creative builder!
  • herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 55
    The mixer is great. Between it's transforming nature, the mesmerizing motion, and the glow in the dark parts, it is one of my favorites. Find something else in your life to trade :-)
    KungFuKennykarmajaySteve_J_OMgelkster
  • AySeaAySea Member Posts: 62
    autolycus said:
    luckyruss said:
    Duh. Didn’t even think to look at what animals that one had! Looks like there’s a printed piece involved though. But at least it gives me a starting point. I’m not the most creative builder!
    The eyes on the horses of #10196 were stickers. If I remember correctly, the only printed parts were minifig torsos, etc. and everything else was stickers.
    autolycus
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,080
    This is a superb thread thanks for creating!  I would say the fairground theme is one of my "consistent" themes which I will continue to buy sets from each year.  I think the past couple of years have yielded more of the 3-in-1 sets like others have stated and we have not had a large "display" type set.  But who knows!  Perhaps it is on it's way...
    gelkster
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,042
    My only issue with the Carousel is the scale - it's a bit humongous as compared to the Rollercoaster, Mixer and Ferris Wheel.

Don't get me wrong - it's the best of the collection, but it's girth and grand scale doesn't quite fit with the rest of the collection.

And I'd agree to trade a different set than the Mixer - particularly if you're going to display the proper fairground.
    KungFuKenny
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 489
    I have #10196, Fairground Mixer, & MOPped the Rocket Ride. Hope to eventually find the UFO Ride & Ferris Wheel.
    SumoLego
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 473
    gelkster said:
    I have #10196, Fairground Mixer, & MOPped the Rocket Ride. Hope to eventually find the UFO Ride & Ferris Wheel.
    I would be tempted to add in #41375 (perhaps de-mini-dolled) also...
  • RoobotRoobot USAMember Posts: 24
    edited October 10
    I’m tempted by #41373 Funny Octopus Ride, too (minus mini-dolls).
  • jhuntin1jhuntin1 Indiana, USAMember Posts: 42
    edited October 11
    This is the bricklist I created with the sets I own for my future amusement park. It's obviously not all-inclusive and some sets are long out of print, but it might give you some ideas: 

The Friends sets can be easily modified for minifigures by adding 1x2 plates or 2x2 plates instead of the tiles. The positioning will look a little weird sometimes because minifigs sit higher than minidolls, but they still work well.
    caterham7LittleLoriMCNwakeboard
    @jhuntin1 That's going to be an awfully big (and amazing) amusement park! I love all the rides, but I just don't have space for such a setup. I'll only ever have one or two up ride sets at a time.

A couple of the other Toy Story 4 sets could be nice additions (particularly 10767 and 10770, but maybe also 10768). Keep an eye out for those on clearance. I scored most of them for 70%+ off at Michael's.

The Pirate Roller Coaster (31084) is fun too, and should be available on deep clearance now or very soon. Although it did take up a surprising large bit of desk space, so I took mine apart. 
    LittleLori
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,384
    The Mixer is an incredibly clever build but less impressive as a display piece. I found the mechanism of the Mixer a lot less reliable also.

So what do you want in a set? Something with a unique build? A dramatic display? Something that runs reliably (if so don't ever go near the first carousel) ?

I think it would be a lot harder to MOD the Mixer. I'm not sure you could do much at all if you still want it to fold up and the mechanism is so touchy that changes might be more than it can handle. If you want to keep only the core turning part you can do interesting things like this

Obviously a lot of work went into changing this to four arms and having the secondary motion be up and down but it's the same idea (build by Edward Sampson TNVLC, the Dumbo ride in the background uses the same mechanism)

On the other hand, as long as you're not a purist regarding the cloth pieces, the carousel is an easy, and forgiving, set to MOD. My steampunk version is essentially a colour swap, scrapbook paper roof panels, and different riding items.

If you're interested in where you can take the amusement park theme you can check out this Flickr album from our LUG display at BrickFair AL 2018, it has a lot of Edward's builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tnvlc/albums/72157693094170125/

(Anything girly and/or poorly built in the amusement park is probably mine)

JudgeChuckgmonkey76KungFuKennyFizyxLittleLoricatwrangler
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,080
    I am struggling with making a good “transition” of sorts between my city layout and the amusement park layout.  Has anyone had good luck with making their display flow nicely?