Any United fans out there...?

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
We have an online Lego group at work, but decided recently to have a face to face meet up in the bar.  One of the guys in the group works in the Toys buying team, and one of his accounts is Lego.

He told us some interesting stuff, like just how many UCS Falcons we sold last year (the single best selling Lego set bar none for us last year), which recently released theme is going down like a lead balloon and so on.

He also told us about some sets lined up for next year.  There's going to a Top Gear branded off road car, which I can understand.  But one had us scratching our heads.

Q1 next year, yours for £249.99...

Lego Old Trafford!

I kid you not.

Presumably there are enough Man U. fans around the world to warrant it.  Wouldn't be top of my list.
snowhitiestluxRedMarkFireheart

Comments

• PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 437
    *checks date to see if its April 1st...*

Another example of Lego jumping on an IP/franchise once its in decline!
    DB361
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,307
    Doesn't float my boat, but if is the start of a series of stadia from around the world I can see them shifting loads.
    Fizyxcatwrangler
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    edited October 2

He told us some interesting stuff, like just how many UCS Falcons we sold last year (the single best selling Lego set bar none for us last year), which recently released theme is going down like a lead balloon and so on.

Would you mind sharing which recently released themes are not working out? I'm just curious.

As far as the Old Trafford, I never even heard of that so looked it up on Wikipedia. Are we talking about a football stadium? While that seems like a boring set, it may be a sign that LEGO is planning to bring back the sports theme. This might not be a bad idea. OYO and other copycat brands are doing pretty well with them from what I heard. Or, perhaps it will be a large micro-built set in the Architecture line?

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    Oh well, I guess it was only a matter of time before LEGO released an exclusive that I didn't want.... 
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 760
    I’m not even interested in football, let alone United. But I would be intrigued to see how exactly they achieve a stadium within that price point. And how many minifigs there are. Also, whether they would have current players or old legends.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    Did he mean football or cricket?
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
    I'm assuming it's the football stadium.  We thought Wembley might have been a more logical choice, but there are a lot of United fans overseas.

@akunthita  The Hidden Side is very much 'not doing the business'.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 781

@akunthita  The Hidden Side is very much 'not doing the business'.
    That's surprising.  It's a really good theme, and it just came out.  Feels like it might be a little early to be making that call to be honest.
    The_Rancor
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 145
    As someone said above stadiums have been done by clone brands. There is a brand called Nanostad doing licensed stadiums. I don't know how well they are doing but a famous stadiums line in the vein of Architecture could do very well.
    I'd be interested in buying them depending on the teams and stadiums.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,829
    Marketing material: lots of leftover bits and broken pieces make this Man U. Structure authentic to the 2019-20 season. No instructions included to replicate Oles managerial skills! The whole thing will look a shambles! You could build for a full 90 mins but why not quit sooner? We do!
    klintonCharmiefcbdmcc0sonatine01PolyphemusOldfan
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,853
    Finally a place to put my German CMF :) Although I'm guessing it won't be minifigure scale, more architecture style, will see what it turns out to be... Hubbie is a big United fan, our son even has Edwin (from van der Sar fame) as one of his middle names (a bet with fate during shoot-outs in a Chelsea-United game before he was born).

Re the Hidden Side sets. I do wonder at the box-art. Every parent I have talked too is sort of like 'Im not buying Lego to give them more time on the tablet/phone/...). But then I showed someone the school building and how it flips out with the monsters etc and they were going to get one for their kid. Wonder if they should have just marketed it without the AR (which doesn't work unless you have a very expensive phone anyway). 
    Toc13catwrangler
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    Yes. I love United. West Ham United!
    KungFuKennyandhemessy
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 521
    edited October 3
    I wonder if they’ll include microfigs like they did for the Hogwarts set and the Rex Dangervest starship? No way will it be minifig scale though, not at that price point!

Now let’s get a St James’ Park set for us Newcastle fans and all will be well in the world. I’ve always wanted the ‘cathedral on the hill’ in Lego form :-)

Edit: the option to remove all of Mike Ashley’s awful, cheap Sports Direct advertising from our stadium would be wonderful too
    CharmiefcbDB361sonatine01Redbullgivesuwind
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,829
    I wonder if they’ll include microfigs like they did for the Hogwarts set and the Rex Dangervest starship? No way will it be minifig scale though, not at that price point!

Now let’s get a St James’ Park set for us Newcastle fans and all will be well in the world. I’ve always wanted the ‘cathedral on the hill’ in Lego form :-)

Edit: the option to remove all of Mike Ashley’s awful, cheap Sports Direct advertising from our stadium would be wonderful too
    There is a beautiful MOC of St James Park out there. I think it was making the rounds a few years ago but give it a Google. The builder might have plans for it for sale.
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 145
    snowhitie said:
    Finally a place to put my German CMF :)
    Wait for the Emirates and new Tottenham Stadium sets to be released. A German minifig would suit them what with the success Germans have had at those stadiums.
    Gruff666sonatine01RedMark
    @Bumblepants Cheers! I’ll head off right now to see if I can find it...
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 503
    No, no, no, no....as a Liverpool fan just no, it’d be more suited to megablox lol
    KungFuKennycody6268
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,767

I will only buy it if the option comes to fire him out of a cannon into the Tyne.
    @Redbullgivesuwind And that’s where the power of MOCing comes into play. I’ll have to make my own brick built Mike Ashley because a regular minifig obviously isn’t big enough :-)
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,767
    He will need to be about the same size as Giant man to be realistic. Then you can fire him as far as you want.