Which Original Themes Would You Like To See Return?

LenzenKingLenzenKing TXMember Posts: 8
edited September 25 in Everything else LEGO
Hello everyone!

I am new here, so I apologize if this has been discussed at length already, but I was curious to know the opinion of the community regarding which Original themes you think Lego should bring back or remake.

Personally, I would love to see a return/remake of the following:
Dino Attack (Remake)
Vikings (Remake, but low on the list)
Space Police (Remake)
Monster Hunters (Return)
Dino 2012 (Return with New Dinos)
Alien Conquest (Return/Remake)
Mars Mission (Remake)

I have excluded some of my personal favorite themes, (such as Agents and Power Miners) because I feel there were enough sets released to warrant satisfaction for a complete collection. Dino might be an unpopular choice currently, given the surplus of Jurassic World sets, but I personally stay very far away from licensed themes, and would, therefore, love more original Dino sets with new types of dinos (Such as a Stegosaurus?).
KungFuKennyBrickchap

Comments

• KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 333
    Oh boy, here we go... where to start?  Islanders, Forestmen, Classic Space, Elves, and..... Monorail, monorail, monorail! (sung a la the classic Simpson’s episode)
    Brickchap
  • LenzenKingLenzenKing TXMember Posts: 8
    edited September 25
    Personally, I never saw much appeal to many of the older themes from the 1900s. I guess my taste isn't as refined as many others.
    Personally, I never saw much appeal to many of the older themes from the 1900s. I guess my taste isn't as refined as many others.
    Oh jeez, now I just feel old... the 1900’s?  It makes me sound like I’m the Great Gatsby or something! 😀 Mainly for me I miss the sets from my childhood (once owned, then sold/given away by the parents while away at College)... sigh...
    Baby_Yodadmcc0
    I understand your pain. My older brother sold many of the sets that had been in our family for years before I ever got to inherit them, as was the custom at the time. He was also a bully, so I never really got to play with them as a kid either. Now, as an adult, I'm slowly building up a collection for my kids to inherit someday.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,799
    I don't want to see any specific in-house ones return. For example, I'd prefer them to do a new space theme rather than rehash Space Police or Alien Conquest or Mars Mission. Why be lumbered with baggage from an old theme when you can make something new?
    obi_g
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,533
    As far as Space sets go, I think the current crop of City sets are very good - with their focus on the journey to Mars and with NASA inspiring their design. And although I love Classic Space, I would like them to do something new, rather than go back to the blue/grey/yellow ship designs, like @CCC has said.
    The problem is that the licensed stuff overshadows any home-grown themes in some areas: Wizarding World = Castles for a lot of casual buyers, and Star Wars = Space. Now, I know there is room for multiple iterations of an idea (we have DC and Marvel alongside each other, after all), but Lego is obviously not confident there is enough room for their own versions alongside these behemoths.
    Ninjago represents a rare instance of an in house theme reaching evergreen status due to it not being duplicated by any other franchise. And let's face it, techno-steampunk-pirate-magic-ninjas is fairly unique... How on earth they managed to make THAT work is beyond me, but more power to them for it.
    BumblepantsJudgeChuckBaby_Yodacatwrangler
    MaffyD said:

The problem is that the licensed stuff overshadows any home-grown themes in some areas: Wizarding World = Castles for a lot of casual buyers, and Star Wars = Space. Now, I know there is room for multiple iterations of an idea (we have DC and Marvel alongside each other, after all), but Lego is obviously not confident there is enough room for their own versions alongside these behemoths.
    I think LEGO is showing there is room for space themes alongside Star Wars, just that recently it is "realistic" space that they are doing in City, rather than a more sci-fi based space of the past. Although SP3, GS, AC, Mars Mission, etc were all done alongside SW sets too.
    MaffyDLenzenKingcatwrangler
    edited September 25
    MaffyD said:
     And although I love Classic Space, I would like them to do something new, rather than go back to the blue/grey/yellow ship designs
    Don’t get me wrong- I’m a big fan of new themes (loved Elves, Ninjago, Monster Hunters etc when the came out) and I don’t think a general re-release of classic/old sets would work very well (for example #6292 and #6278 ) ... however, if Lego ever decided to release a one-off “anniversary edition” Classic Space set, I would be in line to buy it on day one!
    560Heliport
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
    Cliche answer ahead (yet true)...

PIRATES!
    Classic Space
    Forstestmen Castle
    (other classic castle themes would be great too... imagine a Black Falcons or Dragon Knights reboot)
    M-Tron Reboot
    FizyxMCNwakeboardBrickchapKungFuKenny
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 400
    Cliche answer 2:

Trains - as a discrete theme with trackside accessories, varied rolling stock etc

Yes I know why it won’t happen in a million years . . . but I’d still like it to... :)
    BrickchapBumblepants
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 781
    I think I must be in the minority here based on how no one ever talks about it, but Ice Planet 2002 was an amazing little sub-theme, and it's a shame that there's not more of it.  I would 100% love to see it make a comeback.
    BrickchapBumblepantsKungFuKennydmcc0catwrangler
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,228
    Rather than bring back an entire theme, I'd be interested in seeing a "Space All-Stars" or something, where each set is done in the style of a different Space subtheme. For instance, a lower-end set might be a portable mining drill done in the orange and white style of Mars Mission, and maybe a larger set could be a monorail.
    KungFuKennyBrickchapBumblepantsMaffyDpxchris
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 760
    I miss Racers - but they’re not coming back because now we have the realistic but somewhat boring in comparison Speed Champions. I loved the variety of styles and stunts with pullback motors in the day.

I’d like to see something like Adventurers come back, after all - it can be an excuse to place in a partly educational historical element as well as plenty of play features and gimmicks.

What I would REALLY like to come back is Ninja (Castle subtheme 1999-2000) - but preeeeety sure that’s not happening. Just want to try and get the big grey ninja fortress some time
    KungFuKennyBrickchapcatwrangler
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 269
    I’ll second the castle request; maybe just a single large direct to consumer castle. Would be cool to see some black falcons tying in with the heraldry from the Kingdoms joust set. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we did see some castle theme in the future if the Harry Potter doesn’t continue.  
    BrickchapMr_Cross

I wouldn’t be surprised if we did see some castle theme in the future if the Harry Potter doesn’t continue.  
    Harry Potter co-existed with Castle in the past - for example 2004-05, 07 and 10-11 all had HP and Castle sets. Same with LOTR/Hobbit and Castle. I imagine they can coexist again in future, when LEGO is ready to do Castle again.

Baby_Yoda said:
    Rather than bring back an entire theme, I'd be interested in seeing a "Space All-Stars" or something, where each set is done in the style of a different Space subtheme. For instance, a lower-end set might be a portable mining drill done in the orange and white style of Mars Mission, and maybe a larger set could be a monorail.
    Wouldn't that just look like a random hodge-podge of barely connected sets.
    stluxFizyxMCNwakeboardBaby_YodaBrickchap
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,533
    CCC said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    My wife would say that sounds like my entire collection... :-)
    KungFuKennypxchrisFizyx560HeliportBumblepantsMr_CrossBaby_YodaBrickchapLenzenKing
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,216
    pxchris said:
    Cliche answer ahead (yet true)...

PIRATES!
    You might want to check the ideas results
    FizyxpxchrisMr_CrossBaby_YodaBrickchapMaffyD
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,001
    I'd love to see Classic Space sets back on shelf (fwiw I'd be very happy to see Classic Castle too). Despite my nostalgic tendencies toward that (those) theme (s) though, I think @CCC is right, LEGO would do better to continue moving forward (as they have been) and not look back.

It's lovely to see the moon logo crop up occasionally and I've loved the idea of an anniversary set for a long time, so I'm right there with you @KungFuKenny, but with the 40th anniversary having passed us by now, I think it's unlikely we will see a commemorative set anytime soon :-(

I could stand seeing the Xtra range expanded to incorporate old themes. GWPs could also be a great place to re-release old classics, they could do a commemorative (numbered) run. 
    Fizyx560HeliportKungFuKennyBrickchapMaffyD
    CCC said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Do you have something against hodge-podges?
    KungFuKennyFizyxBumblepants
    edited September 26
    Great opinions! After reading everyone's comments, I have to say you've convinced me that Lego should move forward rather than back. On the other hand, Lego does surprise me sometimes, such as with the return of Agents in the form of Ultra Agents. So who knows? Maybe we will eventually see new iterations of Monster Fighters or Space Police.

One thing I would love to see more of in general is original themes. As I stated before, I have no love for licensed themes, and I think that can be contributed to the inaccuracy of most sets. LoTR are my favorite movies of all time, but I was sorely disappointed with sets like Helms Deep and the Black Gate because of the size inaccuracy. Similarly, with Star Wars, no matter how big they make the Star Destroyer, it will probably never be big enough to be accurate. I probably sound unreasonable, but that is my one big problem with licensed themes. As far as recent original themes go, I think they've done a pretty big good job with Hidden Side. However, the app features don't appeal to me personally, and I think the sets alone are lacking in playability and modeling. Unpopular opinion alert, but I honestly think Ninjago needs to suffer a horrible end so as to make room for other original themes. Anyway, enough rambling. Thank you for your opinions, everybody!
    Brickchap
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 760
    I do feel like Ninjago overwhelmingly takes the main slots of Lego’s own IP adventure themes but lots of people other than me or you seem to really like it. There was something I really liked about the Ninjago Movie sets - a slightly different more mech-focused style to many of them and interesting buildings in the D2Cs. Plus the movie version of Destiny’s Bounty was one of the best sets out of any theme. But i’m finding the theme a little tiresome now - first they’ve regurgitated old versions of sets and now they’ve done an ‘icy’ sub theme. Chima tried doing something similar when it was on its last legs, although there’s no particular correlation.
    BrickchapLenzenKing
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 145
    I'd love Castle to come back in some form. I think Lego dropped the ball by not having some sort of generic medieval theme during the Game Of Thrones years.
    BrickchapLenzenKing
    Great opinions! After reading everyone's comments, I have to say you've convinced me that Lego should move forward rather than back. On the other hand, Lego does surprise me sometimes, such as with the return of Agents in the form of Ultra Agents. So who knows? Maybe we will eventually see new iterations of Monster Fighters or Space Police.
    I have no problem with them revisiting ideas and updating for the new era - which is what Agents --> Ultra Agents was. Similarly I would have no problem with them doing a new monsters theme or a new space police theme.

LoTR are my favorite movies of all time, but I was sorely disappointed with sets like Helms Deep and the Black Gate because of the size inaccuracy. Similarly, with Star Wars, no matter how big they make the Star Destroyer, it will probably never be big enough to be accurate. I probably sound unreasonable, but that is my one big problem with licensed themes.

Would you have been happy to pay, say, $6000 for Helm's Deep to get something a bit closer to the accurate size? LEGO fans are used to size inaccuracy compared to real life when minifigures are involved. Look at the modular line, look at trains, and so on. This is not a problem with licensed themes, it is LEGO in general.
    Fizyx
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 348
    I do feel like Ninjago overwhelmingly takes the main slots of Lego’s own IP adventure themes but lots of people other than me or you seem to really like it. There was something I really liked about the Ninjago Movie sets - a slightly different more mech-focused style to many of them and interesting buildings in the D2Cs. Plus the movie version of Destiny’s Bounty was one of the best sets out of any theme. But i’m finding the theme a little tiresome now - first they’ve regurgitated old versions of sets and now they’ve done an ‘icy’ sub theme. Chima tried doing something similar when it was on its last legs, although there’s no particular correlation.
    I actually like some of the latest Ninjago sets, like #70670 Monastery of Spinjitzu and #70678 Castle of the Forsaken Emperor, and I (and my daughters) did get into Ninjago with TLNM, so it's a recent interest. I think that, together with Harry Potter sets, they make a good substitution for the lack of Castle.

Back on topic, the only theme that I would like to see return is Elves - it shouldn't have ended in the first place.
    560HeliportFizyx
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,216
    Maybe we will eventually see new iterations of Monster Fighters or Space Police.

I really liked Monster Fighters but the Scooby Doo theme was much the same and now Hidden Side feels very much a spiritual successor to Monster Fighters.

I love when LEGO put in easter eggs to old themes and I really think that's better than constantly rehashing old stuff. No matter what Classic Space fans say I will never be convinced that straight up re-releases of Classic space sets would sell well. There is a nostalgia market but its small, most collectors will prefer to have the original sets to the rereleases, kids will not have anywhere near as much interest in the very squared designs when compared to modern sets. 
    stluxFizyxMr_CrossBaby_YodaLenzenKingcatwrangler
    Shib said:

No matter what Classic Space fans say I will never be convinced that straight up re-releases of Classic space sets would sell well. There is a nostalgia market but its small, most collectors will prefer to have the original sets to the rereleases, kids will not have anywhere near as much interest in the very squared designs when compared to modern sets. 
    Same here. And you only need to look at some of the complaints people make about new sets. For example, (some) classic space fans will ignore sets where the windscreens / canopies are not trans yellow. So if LEGO do a new space theme, they will complain about it not being classic space and won't buy it, but at the same time also complain if LEGO don't do an in-house space theme. And more extremists still complain that they are incorrect if people use new greys rather than old. Although LEGO have been reasonably good to classic space fans recently with the right colour windscreens in Batman vehicles. The parts have come if people are prepared to MOC.
    FizyxMr_CrossBaby_Yodacatwrangler
    jnscoelho said:

Back on topic, the only theme that I would like to see return is Elves - it shouldn't have ended in the first place.
    I'm glad they did Elves and while it is a shame it is ending, if it is replaced with a similar theme then I'll be happy.
    jnscoelho
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 563
    The Lego Movie theme(s). It really annoys me that the second film did so poorly. I just hope there was enough backend revenue to justify a third film (and a pile of wacky new sets!), or even just an 'inspired by' extended unverse theme at the very least. I need some more of that unbridled whimsy in my life. *twitch, twitch*

In all honesty though, I can't think of a retired in house theme that I would actively invest in over the amazing stuff Lego is presently putting out. Hidden Side is currently hitting all the right chords for me, with a speculated second wave that looks to outdo the near perfect first wave. I love me some Lego Castle... but perhaps not as much as a haunted bloody fair ground, you know? And Ideas is just hitting it out of the park lately. I've yet to grab the tree house and I'm already beyond stoked for the Sesame Street set to come. My "need it!" list isn't getting any shorter, so I feel like a revival theme would really have to bring something extra to the table for me to even care.
    FizyxMr_Cross
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 348
    @CCC for now I think the substitute for Elves was TLM2.
    CCC said:
    Would you have been happy to pay, say, $6000 for Helm's Deep to get something a bit closer to the accurate size? LEGO fans are used to size inaccuracy compared to real life when minifigures are involved. Look at the modular line, look at trains, and so on. This is not a problem with licensed themes, it is LEGO in general.
    Obviously not, and I never meant that the inaccuracy was a problem with licensed themes in general, it's just my personal problem with them. I understand the limitations of Lego and I applaud their efforts to make sets affordable for the general consumer. It's just that I, personally, will never appreciate licensed themes as much as many other fans do, especially in comparison to original themes.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,293
    that question would have been more relevant maybe 5 years ago, when my list of wanted sets for the year alone wasn't like 3 times bigger than my budget.
    FizyxBumblepantsLenzenKing
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,307
    The only spinoff I’d like from TLM2 is more adventures of Sweet Mayhem to give us Friends in Space.
    KungFuKennystlux
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 521
    edited September 29
    Being on the older side I’m definitely biased towards sets from the late 70’s and early 80’s. I know nostalgia is probably clouding my judgment but I’d definitely love to see Lego release one ‘classic’ set each year and maybe rotate between themes. 

Try starting with an exact replica of #497 Galaxy Explorer, complete with vintage box. You can distinguish it from the original box by adding a new ‘classic set’ logo on the front similar to the UCS seal? Perhaps follow that up with the Yellow Castle the following year? If sales are good then keep it going annually. Pirate sets, city sets, etc.
    KungFuKennyBumblepantsMr_CrossMaffyDdatsunrobbiecatwranglerBrickchap
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,829
    I would like some more fantasy era castle with new factions. Also more Wolfpack. 
    KungFuKennyMr_Crosspxchrisgmonkey76Brickchap
    edited September 29
    Being on the older side I’m definitely biased towards sets from the late 70’s and early 80’s. I know nostalgia is probably clouding my judgment but I’d definitely love to see Lego release one ‘classic’ set each year and maybe rotate between themes. 

Try starting with an exact replica of #497 Galaxy Explorer, complete with vintage box. You can distinguish it from the original box by adding a new ‘classic set’ logo on the front similar to the UCS seal? Perhaps follow that up with the Yellow Castle the following year? If sales are good then keep it going annually. Pirate sets, city sets, etc.
    I would give this post 2 likes if Brickset would only let me...
    Mr_CrossGeordiePaulBrickchap
    @KungFuKenny Cheers! I know people want to move forward with new sets and not rehash old designs, which I agree with for the most part, but I think one classic set every year shouldn’t upset people too much. Although this is the internet so it probably will anyway :-)
    Mr_CrossKungFuKennyBrickchap
    Perhaps follow that up with the Yellow Castle the following year? If sales are good then keep it going annually. Pirate sets, city sets, etc.
    Would the yellow castle sell these days? It looks like a set designed in the 1970s. Yellow for walls, brick build horses, ... I cannot see it selling. A better choice would at least be to issue an early grey one such as the King's or Knight's Castle. But even then, why not just do a new one instead, based on modern parts and designs.

stluxFizyxklinton560Heliportgmonkey76Baby_Yoda
    @CCC You may very well be right regarding the Yellow Castle. Like I said, nostalgia is clouding my judgement for classic sets. Perhaps it’s beyond basic in comparison to today’s sets. I’m certainly not against releasing brand new sets using the latest parts, but I think releasing a single ‘classic’ set using the exact parts from back then would be nice too.

One set every year doesn’t seem like too much to ask :-)
    They tried it 15-20 years ago with Legends and it didn't seem to work then. It's probably less likely to work now in that form. But of course they have reinvented things like classic space through Benny's sets.
    catwranglerMr_Cross
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,790
    Fizyx said:
    I think I must be in the minority here based on how no one ever talks about it, but Ice Planet 2002 was an amazing little sub-theme, and it's a shame that there's not more of it.  I would 100% love to see it make a comeback.
    I think there's still a lot of love out there for Ice Planet, and I suspect it's subtly influenced some current designers - colourscheme-wise, the original run of Nexo Knights seemed indebted to it, and in a different way, I get ice planet vibes from #70678. I suspect, though, that the main way its influence has lived on has been the recurring Arctic exploration themes.

It's not what you really want, of course, and I don't blame you - I feel like we really hit a sweet spot there in the 80s/90s in terms of space/science fiction themes (M-Tron, Ice Planet, Spyrius, Aquanauts, Insectoids) which each had strong novelty value and a distinctive look. 

Now, if we were REALLY lucky, at some point they'd fuse what's obviously been popular and effective in the Arctic sets with some retro science fictional flair and give us astronauts digging into permafrost on a new planet, and discovering frozen aliens... we've already seen that they're happy to do their own spin on licenses they don't have the rights for (Chima really was very Thundercats-like, and Nexo Knights reminiscent of Visionaries; someone is really working through their 80s childhood influences!), so hey, I'm happy for them to reinvent a kid-friendly version of The Thing on the Ice Planet...

Anyway; while I'm here, I wish they would redo Forestmen vs. Wolfpack, because I didn't get nearly enough into those themes when I was a kid. 

KungFuKennyFizyxBumblepantsTheOriginalSimonB
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 323
    CCC said:
    They tried it 15-20 years ago with Legends and it didn't seem to work then. It's probably less likely to work now in that form. But of course they have reinvented things like classic space through Benny's sets.
    Nostalgia is indeed a very powerful thing. My city has a mix of 90s sets and modern sets like the modulars and Ferris Wheel, to pick two. Some of the 4-wides look ridiculous compared to modern sets, so I've had to cherry pick which sets I want built to populate Brickadelphia and which sets should remain broken down and bagged. 

I would love to see Forestmen and Wolfpak.  Mostly, though, I'm curious if they're going to do other color classic space astronauts, since there's the new-old helmet mould from Benny's Space Squad. There's a green CS guy in Exo Suit; it'd be nice to have a green helmet for him. 
    catwranglerBrickchap
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 23
    CCC said:

...So if LEGO do a new space theme, they will complain about it not being classic space and won't buy it, but at the same time also complain if LEGO don't do an in-house space theme. And more extremists still complain that they are incorrect if people use new greys rather than old....
    CCC said:
    CCC you beat me to both points.  Back in Ye Olde 1900s LEGO Legends was their answer to dusting off old classics like Black Falcons Fortress, The Blacksmith Shop and The Guarded Inn in lieu of restarting past lines in full.  Personally I loved the idea of Legends and I think that would be an ideal approach to Classic Space, i.e., the Galaxy Explorer, Mobile Rocket Launcher, etc...all the grey, blue and trans yellow greatest hits...but that’s just me.  I mean, I would spend $$$ HUNDREDS $$$ on that.  Meh, I can dream...
    Mr_Cross560HeliportBrickchap
    MrJackson said:

I would love to see Forestmen and Wolfpak.  Mostly, though, I'm curious if they're going to do other color classic space astronauts, since there's the new-old helmet mould from Benny's Space Squad. There's a green CS guy in Exo Suit; it'd be nice to have a green helmet for him. 
    I'd also like them to do more classic space astronauts in new colours - but of course this would not be out of nostalgia as such as they didn't exist. I'd also like them to do new space sets, but not in classic space colours. I'd prefer them to do a few grey ships, but mainly bases or research bases or other locations. Sort of neo-classic but not quite.

And while I'd like to see wolfpack and/or forestmen return, I'd just as much like to see new designs for forestmen - we have some nice prints from the CMF elf and forest maiden for example, and expanding on that sort of heraldry would be great. Modern versions of the classics all the way for me, so a bit of nostalgia for those who care about the old, but modern designs and parts (and if necessary, storylines) for kids of today.
    Mr_CrossKungFuKenny560HeliportBumblepantscatwranglerBrickchap
    Given how popular a lot of fantasy TV and film properties are, it doesn't seem impossible that a new kind of forestmen theme could work, especially if it could get the kind of multiplatform support Ninjago has. I suppose there's the risk of it being seen as competing with Ninjago, but then again, that didn't stop them with Nexo Knights, which was also a new take on nostalgic themes...
    BumblepantsBrickchap
    High-Tech Forestmen!
    catwrangler
    Well, it did always feel like a bit of a missed opportunity that they didn't go more towards fantasy creatures and monsters in Nexo Knights. I mean, yes, you had the rock and lava creatures, but I remember they released a book of monsters after Wave 1 with a lot of cool creatures that never appeared in toy form. Well, we're getting some monsters with Hidden Side, so maybe in a few years when that cycle is over (I'm choosing to be optimistic about the theme's chances of lasting) it'll be time for something a bit more fantasy-oriented...
    560Heliport
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 523
    I guess "Space Pirates vs. Space Police" has already been thought of. What about "Spyrius 3000", a super futuristic, high-tech take on espionage that could probably be a candidate for a mobile app tie-in.
    catwrangler560Heliport