Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New theme teaser?

windjammerwindjammer Newcastle, UKMember Posts: 38
Lego posted this strange video on Twitter this afternoon: 
https://mobile.twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1173219961080352769

Is it a new theme? A new set?  Animals? Hunters? Flying dinghy?

Comments

• Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,317
    Flying dinghy.....Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom sets?

KungFuKenny
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 362
    Just saw the video, very strange! 
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,247
    Could be just something like a line of life-size Lego elements.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 783
    Is it not an advert for some expansion to Lego Tower? All the characters are looking up at something like a skyscraper. I would however like life sized Lego elements and should’ve bought a mug from one of the parks
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,080
    I found this interesting as I saw the lion heads and I envisioned a minifigure size zoo!!!
    Mr_Cross
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,499
    Isn’t that the Big Ben tower (Elizabeth tower) on the right at the end?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,226
    edited September 16
    Is it not an advert for some expansion to Lego Tower? All the characters are looking up at something like a skyscraper. I would however like life sized Lego elements and should’ve bought a mug from one of the parks
    This was entirely my thought, the advertising style seems much more mobile game than actual LEGO product to me. 
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    I clicked on the twitter link and all I got from it was a reminder as to why I don't use twitter for any LEGO news.
    dmcc0
    That must be connected

Baby_Yoda
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,468
    Nah, I don't think there's any connection at all, and I have no idea why anyone would think such a thing ;)
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,080
    LEGO is just throwing us for a loop :)
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 446
    Rebuild the World - sounds to me like Lego is planning to release a bunch of mismatched sets like #40432 where we have to collect them all so that we can switch the pieces into the correct order. So expect another set with a rabbit torso and head along with the explorers hat and legs!
    Mr_Cross
    Is there a reason why the database doesn’t have a record for #40432?
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 625
    They did. I still have the tab open showing the image. I'd assume it was a leak that got pulled?

klinton said:
    They did. I still have the tab open showing the image. I'd assume it was a leak that got pulled?

Must be. So the image @CCC posted will probably disappear soon. It’s like Thanos all over again ;-)
    catwranglerdavetheoxygenman
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 473
    PJ76uk said:
    Rebuild the World - sounds to me like Lego is planning to release a bunch of mismatched sets like #40432 where we have to collect them all so that we can switch the pieces into the correct order. So expect another set with a rabbit torso and head along with the explorers hat and legs!
    Hopefully it’s like #6495 😄

catwranglerwindjammerSumoLego
    I had no idea Lego had released a Freddie Mercury minifig....
    Fizyx560HeliportKungFuKennycatwranglerCymbelineim2cre8ivsid3windrSumoLegomsanders
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 796
    klinton said:
    I had no idea Lego had released a Freddie Mercury minifig....
    You know, I was perfectly happy not having that minifig in my life, and then you just had to go and ruin THAT contentment.
    KungFuKennyim2cre8ivTheBigLegoskisid3windr
    klinton said:

Must be. So the image @CCC posted will probably disappear soon. It’s like Thanos all over again ;-)
    It was definitely there... and the image is still on the brickset image server:

Removing it from there will remove it from my post.

Astrobricks
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    edited September 16
    Well whatever it is that's launching tomorrow @Huw could you ask them politely to "rebuild" their LEGO website into a working, functional one please?

Pretty please, at a convenient moment, I'm sure that it won't be "breaking the rules".

Failing that, see if they'll send me a supersized upscaled mug set for free without my need to use aforementioned site. I can always pm you my address. I'm only half kidding! 😉
    KungFuKenny560HeliportTheBigLegoskisid3windrmsanders
    Huw said:
    We were asked to remove it as the instructions were published prematurely in error.
    Oh, no! How will I know how to build that figure now?
    Lego_StarSwitchfoot55CymbelineBumblepantsomniumKungFuKennysid3windrAstrobricks
    So is it just one advert and a polybag set to go with it?

And now it's been "revealed" what else is going on at LEGO House or in Billund @Huw?
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 473
    At least it wasn’t the launch of another mobile game, although it seems like a lot of hype without much substance.  Not sure that was worth a trip to Billund in and of itself unless maybe attendees get an exclusive “Rabbit-Man with Carrot” polybag....
    Bludchylde1
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 385
    edited September 17
    I need the transformer upgrade for my 7...

...although I should probably fit the replacement clutch first!
    davetheoxygenman
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 557
    Put me right there in the confused group with you @Paperballpark... 

The ad was certainly creative and "interesting"... but why the press coverage in Billund for it?
    Bludchylde1
    edited September 17
    Maybe it is a wind-up and there will be a proper reveal later.

At least, I hope that is what it is.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 889
    oooookaayyyyy....
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,869
    Maybe it will be a new evolution in the series of non-Lego GWP options. Novelty Over-Sized Carrot free with $299.99 spend!
    Lego_StarFizyxsid3windrKungFuKennyBaby_Yoda
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 796
    Maybe it will be a new evolution in the series of non-Lego GWP options. Novelty Over-Sized Carrot free with $299.99 spend!
    ... worth it.
    stluxsid3windrKungFuKennyThe_RancorBumblepantsBaby_Yoda
    Feels like LEGO trying to do movie style marketing where we now get trailers of trailers and big fanfare announcements of basically just another trailer. 
    catwrangler
    This feels like pretty standard fanfare for a new marketing campaign. I think the issue lies not with Lego's strategy here, but with misconstrued fan expectations. It's the JP D2C set all over again. There was no suggestion that this was a new product, that was just what the community decided to expect. 
    dmcc0stluxcatwrangler
    Mark Ronson may or may not be involved - I’m guessing he’s the soundtrack because he was hanging around in the Lego House. Unless, random celebs were there.
    Lego_Star
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 557
    There is a pretty full write up of the campaign on Brother's Brick.
    stluxMaffyD
    klinton said:
    This feels like pretty standard fanfare for a new marketing campaign. I think the issue lies not with Lego's strategy here, but with misconstrued fan expectations. It's the JP D2C set all over again. There was no suggestion that this was a new product, that was just what the community decided to expect. 
    I see what you mean, but they asked people to travel to another country just so they could see a minute-long advert. Surely there's more to it than that.
    KungFuKennyMaffyD
    edited September 17
    I guess TLG haven’t really had any significant advertising for quite a while now, at least in the UK. When you think about it, the adverts we have are either for products being sold at Smyths etc. or they are for Legoland Windsor, and nothing else.

We should probably think of this less as one single advert, and more of a reestablishing of Lego in advertising minds, more like a mission statement of intent for TLG. Rebuild the world has a certain empowering vibe to it, and it wouldn’t be a stretch to suggest TLG also chose this to suggest a brand ethos reaching beyond the products themselves - if you catch my drift.

I love the full advert & would love to see it in the cinema. It takes a brave advertising company to not explicitly feature the product until the very end (because non-die hard Lego fans won’t immediately recognise the oversized elements) but increasingly, eclectic and oddball advertising sticks in the minds of viewers.

Edit - just saw that TLG’s own in-house agency effectively ‘lost’ to BETC Paris to make the ad, which could explain the ‘experimentalness’
    catwrangler
    edited September 18
    We had a return to the big "global" tv ad pre last Christmas - their wildest dreams, girl racing in a go kart etc. Product wasn't shown for the majority of the ad.

Granted it's two months earlier this year but I see this as exactly the same type of advert (and given the timing, intended as an annual thing). LEGO is a new toy every day (that one goes back a bit) and all the creative possibilities of your imagination you can realise with LEGO products. It's meant to inspire.

I don't hate the ad, or it's message but I am genuinely more interested in other LEGO things at present. "Cool marketing" isn't addressing or satisfying my customer needs and is surplus to requirement.

Oh and yes I know, I'm not the target market. Shame my money isn't wanted.
    catwrangler
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,275
    edited September 18
    @Baby_Yoda - With regard to Rebuild the World, the advertisement was the primary focus of the event in Billund today. However, @Huw and I also had the opportunity to speak with some designers so there was much more to the event than just watching a short video.

If we did not think it was worthwhile attending an event or it would be prohibitively expensive to do so, then we would not attend.
    The_RancorAstrobricksFizyxdavetheoxygenmanstluxBaby_Yodacatwrangler
    ^^ Just shows how forgettable last year’s advertising was in the UK. I don’t think i’ll forget this one though.
    ^ I honestly don't see them as all that different tbh. The underlying message is the same after all. Just represented in a new way. The ads that people remember tend to be the ones that inspired them as kids. After all, that's the target audience here.

I'll maybe check that with you when they release a new ad roughly this time next year @The_Rancor, if I remember! ;o)
    Lego_Star said:
    I don't hate the ad, or it's message but I am genuinely more interested in other LEGO things at present. "Cool marketing" isn't addressing or satisfying my customer needs and is surplus to requirement.

Oh and yes I know, I'm not the target market. Shame my money isn't wanted.
    How did you get so bitter? How on earth does Lego cultivating new customers at all detract from them producing products that adults will buy? They can (and have to, really) do both.
    LyichirBaby_YodaRogerKirk
    klinton said:
    There was the suggestion of a product - the leaked polybag.
    KungFuKennyBaby_Yoda
    @Baby_Yoda - With regard to Rebuild the World, the advertisement was the primary focus of the event in Billund today. However, @Huw and I also had the opportunity to speak with some designers so there was much more to the event than just watching a short video.

If we did not think it was worthwhile attending an event or it would be prohibitively expensive to do so, then we would not attend.
    Having read the main page article, it's good to hear that there was more to it. The ad itself is quite odd, but at least the event makes a bit more sense now.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,317
    Walking through the main shopping street in Reading today, there are about a dozen electronic advertising boards. Everyone was flicking between a Brexit passport advert and different Rebuild the World images. There was a Batbike, self poop scooping dog, tall gnome and this eco car among them

AstrobricksThe_RancorcatwranglerstluxFowlerBrickswindjammer
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,804
    That's fun! It's interesting how the car design is quite retro - quite a few visible studs, and small scale compared to the average Lego car of today. I think they're aiming this at parents my age, trying to put across the message that even with all the new parts and themes that exist now, it's still the same extremely creative toy it was in our childhoods.
    KungFuKennySpeedman29