Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What new parts should LEGO make?

dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 212
I couldn't find an old thread for this, so I'm creating this new topic. (Admins, please correct me if I'm wrong.)
We have had many new great parts over the past years, for instance all those new brackets that make it possible to change orientation in builds.
Well, I'm dearly missing more panels. We have 1x2x2, 1x3x3, 1x4x2, 1x4x3 (and many larger ones).
But basically I miss 1x1x2, so just half in width of this one (4864b on BL):
What are the parts that you are desperately waiting for?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,023
    A corner version of those would be useful.
    stluxFizyxdutchlegofan50Mr_CrossBrickchap
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,947
    I kinda wish the 1*4 inverted slopes had made it out of the test phase.
    FizyxMr_CrossdougtsBrickchap
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,349
    Plates with studs on both sides please.
    Switchfoot55KungFuKennyMr_Crossmak0137VorpalRyumsandersBrickchap
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,486
    Plates with studs on both sides please.
    I can't see that ever happening, and tbh I'm not sure I'd want it to - it would remove a big part of the challenge!
    dutchlegofan50BumblepantsBaby_YodaBrainslugged
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,023
    Plus it would copy parts available from other manufacturers. And if LEGO copies their novel parts, then it is fair game if they copy LEGO's.
    Baby_Yoda
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,268
    Also, I think the way parts are moulded would make it difficult. I've heard that they need the plastic to be of consistent thickness, so studs without an exposed surface directly beneath them are hollow since they can't have the little indents on the underside. As such, I believe all of the studs would need to be hollow for the design to work, and that would look quite ugly on larger plates.
    Bumblepants
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,485
    How about double-sided studs, so you could attach two plates back-to back? Picture part#4073 with a stud on both sides.
    dbrougeVorpalRyu
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 311
    I really want more steam locomotive wheel colors. Green(bright and earth), blue(regular and earth), so on.
    BrickchapCyberdragon
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 335
    I'd like to see some kind of "conversion piece" that lets Duplo trains run on Lego tracks and vice-versa.

I'd also like to see Duplo switches with some kind of remote capability.  The new Steam and Cargo trains are interesting, with their phone-remote capabilities, but without the ability to remotely control switches, still very limiting. 
    catwrangler
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,261
    How about double-sided studs, so you could attach two plates back-to back? Picture part#4073 with a stud on both sides.
    After seeing what I suspect were a couple of M*gaBl*ks parts (one of our son's friends gets given sets by his aunts) that were plates with studs top & bottom, I second the notion that TLG needs to do something like this, they look incredibly useful, but I couldn't bring myself to use M*gaBl*ks parts.
    Brickchap
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 249
    I have a couple MegaBloks 2x2s with studs on both sides. They are ugly, for the aforementioned molding reasons. They are also incredibly useful. I wish Lego made them, then I could allow myself to use them more. If you've never seen one, just look at the upside-down tiles and imagine if they had normal studs on the tiled side.

MB also has lots of other neat parts Lego doesn't have. They have little tubes that accept a bar at each end, so you can make very long bars. They have cheese slopes with studs on the angled surface. They have plates with a bar sticking out sideways (Lego has those now, with the 1x1 round plates with a bar, but the MB ones are smaller and 1x1 square plates). 

But if we're only imagining pieces that don't copy MB, I'd suggest we need more corners: the 2x1 plate with a rail needs to become a 2x2 corner plate with a rail that goes around the corner. The 1-brick-tall panel already has a corner, but the other panels don't. We need a cheese-slope corner. The 2x2 bow plates could use a corner.

Plus I'd like to see a Powered Up colour sensor that actually works properly.
    Brickchapdutchlegofan50mak0137catwrangler
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,486
    Regarding the panels with corners, given that there's already the 1x1 with corner, why do you need others with corners? If you want a 1x4 with corner, you can make it from 1x3 + 1x1 with corner.

The cheese slope with stud on the angled side, I'm not sure that stud would be 'in system'.

The tubes that accept a bar at each end, Lego already does - the flexible pneumatic pipes.

And for me personally, I don't actually want to see plates with studs on both sides. There's a certain challenge in figuring out how to reverse the studs within the space you have, and having a plate like that would just remove that challenge completely. It's laziness basically! ;) There's enough elements now which allow you to reverse studs in many different ways, that I really don't think it's needed - certainly not in official sets.
    BumblepantsBaby_Yoda
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 443
    Regarding the panels with corners, given that there's already the 1x1 with corner, why do you need others with corners? If you want a 1x4 with corner, you can make it from 1x3 + 1x1 with corner.

I’d guess he’d like 2x1x2s with a corner... so not lenghtwise but heightwise?

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,551

The cheese slope with stud on the angled side, I'm not sure that stud would be 'in system'.

Seems like it would be as “in-system” as this:
     https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6044&name=Slope 53 3 x 1 x 3 1/3 with Studs on Slope&category=[Slope]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}
    Oh, I wish they made Duplo "tubes" that:
    • were longer than the straight pieces currently made
    • had some "see through" pieces so you could see the ball pass through
    • had some "half pipe" pieces for the same reason
    • had some "randomizer" pieces, so the ball would randomly go left or right
    • had some "intersection" pieces, so tubes could join together

I don't actually want to see plates with studs on both sides. There's a certain challenge in figuring out how to reverse the studs within the space you have, and having a plate like that would just remove that challenge completely. It's laziness basically! ;) 
    Just because the pieces exist doesn't mean you have to use them. You could ignore them for you own use and just be judgmental about those who do use them.

Brickchapbgl_84
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 484

The tubes that accept a bar at each end, Lego already does - the flexible pneumatic pipes.

And for me personally, I don't actually want to see plates with studs on both sides. There's a certain challenge in figuring out how to reverse the studs within the space you have, and having a plate like that would just remove that challenge completely. It's laziness basically! ;) There's enough elements now which allow you to reverse studs in many different ways, that I really don't think it's needed - certainly not in official sets.
    So what if that particular challenge of reversing studs in that way is removed? Were you frustrated when they released the bricks with studs on the sides or the modified plates with brackets?

If you use recentish elements to achieve shapes then there's nothing wrong with using even newer elements. The release of a plate with studs on both sides would not detract from the overall challenge of building - it's all part of the system, and gives you more space for creativity in making your model robust and visually appealing.

Don't forget that Lego is a kids' toy at heart!

BrickchapVorpalRyu
  • brickmattbrickmatt USAMember Posts: 92
    A proper cane piece for minifigures, with a curved handle. It would have been great with Scrooge McDuck, and if they could print them it could be used as a candy cane for holiday sets.
    BrickchapLittleLoriModeltrainmancatwrangler
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 140
    @brickmatt Great idea! 100% agree! And how about an open umbrella piece
    Modeltrainmancatwrangler
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 54
    ^ you could use the same piece for that, because we already have a few options for the top!
    LittleLoriModeltrainmancatwrangler