Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Monthly D2C sets?

ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
Perhaps this has been obvious to others or I missed an announcement but it seems that Lego is in a cycle of releasing one or more new D2C sets at the beginning of each month. Just going off memory, here is the list of recent big sets:

1 Sept: Disney train
1 Aug: Harley motorcycle and tree house
1 July: Stranger Things and Jurassic World
1 June: Moon Lander
1 May: Tantive IV 

How long will this continue? Perhaps we are in a cycle where we are seeing some great sets that will have a short shelf life.
Bumblepants

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,779
    We should have next Winter Village soon and the Star Wars UCS in October, Bat-vehicle in November. Perhaps nothing in December?
    Koolbrix2018
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 551
    1 Sept: F.R.I.E.N.D.S set as well! For December maybe another ideas set? 
    1 January: modular 2020
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,281
    expect a D2C every week in 2025. that's a bit too much really, you don't even know how to budget to get the latest one that 2 more have already been revealed.
    sid3windr
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 730
    It would be good if TLG told us approximately when they will reveal an upcoming D2C set, even without any details of the theme, size or anything else. For example, they could have a store calendar which has a question mark or something saying “new set to be revealed” so at least we’d know to wait with anticipation. Otherwise I’m seeing all these great sets flying past which I couldn’t plan to get because the conveyor belt is so relentless.
    KungFuKennyFizyx
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 518
    You're also forgetting that they might pull another past D2C "from the vault" in November or December like they've done for the past two years. 2017 had the Taj Mahal, 2018 had the Vestas Wind Turbine, and will 2019 see the return of the Emerald Night?!?!
    gmonkey76KungFuKennyPyrobugBaby_Yodasid3windrtallblocktoo
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 224
    “ will 2019 see the return of the Emerald Night?!?! “
    Please don’t get my hopes up only to see them crash and burn like every other year before... :-)
    Baby_Yoda560HeliportSumoLegoflord
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,371
    I'd love for them to resurrect the train window mould, but I very, very highly doubt it.
    KungFuKennyPeteM
    Is it official that the train window mold is gone for good? Or are they just giving it a "rest" in mainline sets like the Hidden Side bus and Harry Potter bus? The new Disney Train has the old train door parts in one of the coaches. At least, it looks like the old train door.

I don't want to encourage hype, but I do notice patterns. In 2017, it had almost been ten years since the original Taj Mahal was released (original came out in mid-2008, and the re-release came out right at the end of 2017). Then, towards the end of 2018, we got the Vestas Wind Turbine, ten years after the original release. I look back ten years ago now for D2C and what do I see? Fire Brigade (highly unlikely), Grand Carousel (already re-vamped and relaunched), Medieval Market Village (possible, since there is a dearth of Castle right now), Winter Village Toy Shop (again, already re-released), and a couple of Star Wars sets. Out of all of these, only Emerald Night seems to fit the mold of the previously-released sets. Highly desired, not tied to a franchise or a specific sub-theme, and of course, released originally exactly 10 years ago this year.

It's not an iron-clad case, but I think it sounds likely. The parts substitutions will no doubt be lamented (not just the possible windows, but the train wheels are different now, too), but for those who don't have this incredible set (I own one and a half), why would you risk missing out on this again??
  • TurezTurez GermanyMember Posts: 6
    Is it official that the train window mold is gone for good? Or are they just giving it a "rest" in mainline sets like the Hidden Side bus and Harry Potter bus? 
    See (at 1:40)

Perhaps they will make a new mold sometime in the future, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    sid3windrLittleLori
    Turez said:
    Is it official that the train window mold is gone for good? Or are they just giving it a "rest" in mainline sets like the Hidden Side bus and Harry Potter bus? 
    See (at 1:40)

Perhaps they will make a new mold sometime in the future, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Ugh. Thanks for the video, but man. BOOO!

I guess this will make a re-release of the Emerald Night a little less appealing since that coach will have those basic windows in tan.
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 510
    It would be good if TLG told us approximately when they will reveal an upcoming D2C set, even without any details of the theme, size or anything else. For example, they could have a store calendar which has a question mark or something saying “new set to be revealed” so at least we’d know to wait with anticipation. Otherwise I’m seeing all these great sets flying past which I couldn’t plan to get because the conveyor belt is so relentless.
    I think the point of this thread is that such a thing is irrelevant, seeing as how they seem to be churning them out almost monthly now. Just assume there will be one every month, and plan based on that? You'll be ahead of the game then, if there's ever a month where one isn't revealed. :p
    Astrobricks
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 456
    I was thinking if the 10 years isn’t as much a hard & fast rule, and the emerald night isn’t deemed appealing enough to re release without the train windows, why not #10210?  Or are they waiting for that one for next year to fill in one of the months of D2C.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,281
    edited August 23
    the 10 years of this model start to show, I think they could make a new, better one. though the ones they re-released look dated as well...