Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2020 Modular Rumors

Comments

• M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 639
    SilverLove said I know we talk a lot about kids being more important target group than AFOLs perhaps want to admit, buy i think AFOLs with kids are more likely to buy Lego for their kids than other parents. 
    This would be me.  I view a lot of toys nowadays (& with the season I’ve seen too much of it already) as just plastic junk, or electronic junk, to be thrown away when they grow out of it.  Some amount of it is ok, but at least if I buy them LEGO instead of junk, they might have it for a lifetime.  But I’m an AFOL & still have my childhood LEGO.  So I judge based on my experience of what would provide the most value, not the cheapest thing now (which is often what my wife might pickup).  Even as an AFOL herself, she still sees LEGO as ‘expensive’ rather than offering good value for money.  But she also didn’t grow up with it, like I (& I suspect most of us) did.
    560HeliportSumoLegoklintongmonkey76SilverLoveMCNwakeboardLittleLoridatsunrobbieSnizzlebutts
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,145
    M1J0E said:
    ...to be thrown away when they grow out of it...
    I have a whole mess of these ridiculous LOL! dolls that are just squishy plastic nonsense disposable garbage.  And they live in a crappy cardboard press board dollhouse.

Yay.
    gmonkey76M1J0Edatsunrobbie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,998

Of course they cant keep all sets in stock forever. Storage in warehouses cost money too. But if people wouldnt know in before hand if it will return or not? Wouldnt most people that could afford it, buy it at first chance around?
    Just like Millenium Falcon buyers - new people coming of age, newborn completionists, wouldnt Lego benefit from them buying the green grocer (or any grocery)?
    LEGO would benefit just as much as them buying the Book Store, and the new one in 2021 and the new one in 2022. Plus, they will also benefit from other collectors that already have the past ones buying the new ones.

There is a demand for these, im sure TLG would benefit finanicially from them but still dont reproduce them (and they dont communicate why - ok, they dont have to, but wouldnt it be nice for a brand to do so with their fans?):
    1) Green grocer.
    2) Goats.
    3) The regional release of 80101 and 80102 chinese new year sets.

To 1, you can add probably add most sets ever made. There is some demand for new old stock on just about everything.

To 2, you can add most animals, outside of Alsatians / German Shepherd dogs.

To 3, you can add most past regional exclusives, plus every comic con exclusive, plus all mini monthly builds, specials for store openings, and so on. Anything that is special because it was limited.
    Baby_Yoda
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 459
    SilverLove said:  Almost everytime I wish for a grocery I get replies that TLG already done it, as if its that easily obtained (well it is, if one has more money and no other obligations).
    That's the main critique I have with these discussions: Someone wishes that Lego would produce or reproduce X set or X theme, and a bunch of people jump in with, "Lego already did that," or, "It's Lego, build it yourself."  Not everyone was around or buying Lego when said set or theme was in production.  Not everyone can afford the high aftermarket prices some of said sets have today.  Not everyone can look at a picture (or see an image in their head) and render it in Lego.  There is a market for certain out-of-production sets.  As I said before, whether Lego chooses to pursue that market or dedicate their resources to other projects is 100% up to them, but marginalizing other people's wish lists is arrogant and condescending.
    SilverLoveBrickchapthedingman5Addicted2OxygenSnizzlebuttsBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    daewoo said:
    There is a market for certain out-of-production sets.  As I said before, whether Lego chooses to pursue that market or dedicate their resources to other projects is 100% up to them, but marginalizing other people's wish lists is arrogant and condescending.
    Well, I wouldn't use such strong dismissive terms as: 'arrogant' and 'condescending', but it can come across perhaps as a bit inconsiderate. But such is life, your mileage may vary, et cetera and so on.... In the free exchange of ideas people will sometimes find themselves at odds with others. I don't think people here are generally intent on garnering animosity points, relish in angering you for the sake of it, and starting flame wars with other forum members.
    Did I already happen to mention how lovely it would be to see TLG re-release the Green Grocer?!? ;-P
    SilverLoveBaby_YodaAddicted2Oxygen
    daewoo said:
    There is a market for certain out-of-production sets.  As I said before, whether Lego chooses to pursue that market or dedicate their resources to other projects is 100% up to them, but marginalizing other people's wish lists is arrogant and condescending.
    There is also a (probably much bigger) market for in-production sets. Should LEGO risk any damage to that one while going for the out-of-production market?

In my view, someone wanting an out of production set (especially a modular) has a number of choices:

1) Buy it (high cost)
    2) Bricklink it (high cost)
    3) Bricklink it with replacements (probably still high cost but lower than above)

4) Enjoy the current products (RRP or less)
    5) Buy and modify the current product (similar to RRP or less)

I think it is unrealistic to expect LEGO to remake older ones for what is probably quite a small market compared to their other current markets.

stluxBaby_Yodasid3windrSnizzlebutts
  • SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 83
    Baby_Yoda said:
     I think it's likely that Lego would release an entirely new set for a Grocer, maybe as a part of a larger whole, like the laundry in Brick Bank or the businesses in Detective's Office. But now we're getting into 2021 speculation territory... fingers crossed!
    That would be lovely, then I could get my grocery and we could have several additional functions in one set, although i suspect some people wont like several smaler functions on one 32x32 plate.

Yeah, cant speculate yet - have to enjoy the 2020 modular first (would be like wishing to celebrate midsummernights eve when xmas is next week, right?!) 

Corner Garage arrived last week so looking forward builting that and exploring all its ingenious building techniques - because regardless if the aestethics pleases me, the building of modulars never disappoints!
    BrickchapM1J0EBaby_Yoda
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 459
    edited December 2019
    CCC said:  There is also a (probably much bigger) market for in-production sets. Should LEGO risk any damage to that one while going for the out-of-production market?

In my view, someone wanting an out of production set (especially a modular) has a number of choices:

1) Buy it (high cost)
    3) Bricklink it with replacements (probably still high cost but lower than above)

I think it is unrealistic to expect LEGO to remake older ones for what is probably quite a small market compared to their other current markets.

Which is why they will decide what they will and will not produce and to which I said is 100% up to them.  That, however, does not justify or excuse being snide about someone else's wish list, which is what I was addressing.
    SilverLove
    M1J0E said:
    ...I view a lot of toys nowadays (& with the season I’ve seen too much of it already) as just plastic junk, or electronic junk, to be thrown away when they grow out of it....
    I love how Lego dont fall into either or both cathegories of junk [light/sound brick] ;-)
    True, they dont get thrown away nowadays since most adults know there is a market for second hand Lego. How valued - i mean cherished - is old, played with Lego for an AFOL (even if it was oneself that played with it and not  a random stranger)? Seems like so many only build their AFOL creations with new bricks, and keep their childhood Lego in separate bins.

I got my beloved old Lego in return after handing them over to younger cousins in almost pristine condition (i liked to build and rebuild stuff), never having broken anything: no broken helmets, clips on flags or Lego torsos or hands. I got them back broken clips, teeth marks and with paint/pen markings on them. Sigh. I never managed to rebuild any of the original sets, always essential parts missing or broken. If i would rebuild one set, it would be the pirate ship and maye the fort. (I know they are simple in design by todays standard, but still....)
    M1J0E
    CCC said:

There is a demand for these, im sure TLG would benefit finanicially from them but still dont reproduce them (and they dont communicate why - ok, they dont have to, but wouldnt it be nice for a brand to do so with their fans?):
    1) Green grocer.
    2) Goats.
    3) The regional release of 80101 and 80102 chinese new year sets.

To 1, you can add probably add most sets ever made. There is some demand for new old stock on just about everything.

To 2, you can add most animals, outside of Alsatians / German Shepherd dogs.

To 3, you can add most past regional exclusives, plus every comic con exclusive, plus all mini monthly builds, specials for store openings, and so on. Anything that is special because it was limited.
    True, true, in part. That (my reply) was just all a very long argument regarding the ”[rereleasing the Taj/Vestas] for legal reasons. If they show that they can still profit from old designs...”

I dont think 1 or 3 is special ”just because they were limited”, I think people genuinely wanted them because they were...special. (Perhaps Green grocer just cost as much as it does on the secondary market because it was one of the three oldest modular but i more often see people wishing for a return of green grocer than Town Hall or Fire Brigade or Cafe Corner - well aware of ”one sees what one is looking for”). Actually no, 80101 and 80102 were not special, they were spectacular! They had an awesome lot of new printed tiles and recolours and ”rerelase” of eg the pig costume. Im sure, if the special parts were made available everywhere OR if the sets had been made up entirely of common, already existing pieces there wouldnt have been such an uproar, ergo NOT special only because it was LIMITED. I would have wanted those sets even if they were common as what comes out of flies bottoms. But perhaps TLG figured out that making the sets available worldwide would still cost them more than they would earn from it.

I wished TLG would let other knock off brands offer green grocer, goats or any other out of print animals then, if its to much work/not profitable enough for them to reproduce them. Instead of letting fans having to resort to the very expensive prices sellers on bricklink have...oh wait. Now that TLG owns bricklink there would be no incentive left at all right, because everytime Bob on Bricklink sells something out of print, Lego gets a percentage of the sell....darn.

And I was actually hoping for new farm sets relases in the future after the farm-vehicle-thing released this summer. Its hard liking Lego animals while not being the target group of Friends.

Anyway, thank you @CCC, @Baby_Yoda et al for good input and an invigourus discussion. Ive said enough off topic. I know TLG do what they want to do and for reasons we (atleast I) dont have all background data for. An AFOL can always dream right? While dreaming, Ill continue to enjoy the amazing work those designers put out for us. :)
    SumoLego said:
    M1J0E said:
    I have a whole mess of these ridiculous LOL! dolls that are just squishy plastic nonsense disposable garbage.  And they live in a crappy cardboard press board dollhouse.

Yay.
    They might be worth something in 30 years, then your kids can sell them (if they are in good condition) to sponsor their own Lego-addiction (if youve been a good AFOL rile model that is 😏) when they are grown up.

If you keep them in good condition that is: if you dont do what others do - people tend to not store things properly that are common/junk, while they are common/junk. 
    daewoo said: ...
    A wish is just a wish. And wishing for more understanding from AFOLs that been around for longer (in particular those that were outraged by the regional relases) that latebloomers can wish for a re-release (or something with the same function, but looking completely different) because not everyone can MOC or afford older sets in other ways. And that the wish is not a wish on others expense.

Saying ”Its Lego, just build it yourself” is insensitive - with that argument, what is the point with sets, any sets, at all?!

Perhaps we could all do better by trying to look through other peoples view points when discussing things, that includes me - understanding that my wish for a rerelase will probably affect other collectors (production lines, marketing, storage and other things mentioned). Which is why I would be fine with any other modular grocery store :)
    panchox1mustang69Baby_YodaAddicted2Oxygen
    CCC said:

1) Buy it (high cost)

One can do either of 1-5 AND still wish for a new release/release of something with similar function :-)

In my view, if someone wants/wants to change something one can state that (hopefully in a constructive way and not just complaining) in a relevant medium (eg about Lego in a forum for AFOLs? or through customer service?) where the people that have the power to make decisions can read about it or collect data.

Like what was done to impact future relases of regional sets. If no one had said anything, would the changes have happened?
    Baby_Yoda
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 618
    CCC said:
    daewoo said:
    There is also a (probably much bigger) market for in-production sets. Should LEGO risk any damage to that one while going for the out-of-production market?

1) Buy it (high cost)

As someone who has done option #3 with 2 sets (Cafe Corner, Market Street) it's a very rewarding and cost effective way of getting the modulars that might otherwise be out of reach financially.  You also get to put your own spin on it by picking your own colors.  Cafe Corner I did minimal replacements and you can barely tell the difference.  Market Street I did completely different colors and it ended up looking much better than the original in my opinion.  Ordering the pieces from a combination of PAB and Bricklink was a lot of fun too. 

As far as this newest modular goes, looks great!  But then again I've never seen a modular I didn't like. 
    CymbelineSilverLove
    SilverLove said:.

I got them back broken clips, teeth marks and with paint/pen markings on them. Sigh.
    Sadly due to my own self, this was some of my sets.  Some I just never could have enough pieces left to put back together.  But thankfully most saved.  Sorry to hear this was the fate of all your sets.  
    SilverLove
    SumoLego said:
    M1J0E said:

Yay.
    Those things are some of the worst offenders.  Once the blind bag surprise is over, they’re quickly forgotten about.  I admit I don’t get the blind bag fad, to include CMF’s, but at least buying CMF’s you’re getting something.  Not garbage packed in a wrapper soon to be garbage.  
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    daewoo said:
    As I said before, whether Lego chooses to pursue that market or dedicate their resources to other projects is 100% up to them, but marginalizing other people's wish lists is arrogant and condescending.
    Wait, then what are we supposed to do when someone wants to bring back Galidor? Be nice to them?!

True, true, in part. That (my reply) was just all a very long argument regarding the ”[rereleasing the Taj/Vestas] for legal reasons. If they show that they can still profit from old designs...”

I don't think it is necessarily just about making a profit here but also making a legal statement. By doing this, they can prove to a court that they make a profit from previously retired sets, with a monetary value attached to it so that when the next court case against a Lepin-like company comes up, LEGO can prove that they do re-release sets and attach a monetary value to the damages caused when the Lepin-like companies make fakes of retired sets.

I wished TLG would let other knock off brands offer green grocer, goats or any other out of print animals then, if its to much work/not profitable enough for them to reproduce them. Instead of letting fans having to resort to the very expensive prices sellers on bricklink have...oh wait. Now that TLG owns bricklink there would be no incentive left at all right, because everytime Bob on Bricklink sells something out of print, Lego gets a percentage of the sell....darn.

If you'd prefer to have fakes than pay for the real thing, then you can buy a fake Green Grocer right now for about 70 Euro / 75 USD.

LEGO aren't allowing them to do it, but they still do it. It is not like LEGO sanctioning them would make the quality any better.
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Wait, then what are we supposed to do when someone wants to bring back Galidor? Be nice to them?!
    Now now @Baby_Yoda,  be nice. Stop making fun of Mother Doomsday.
    Baby_Yoda
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,341
    edited December 2019
    CCC said:
    I don't think it is necessarily just about making a profit here but also making a legal statement. By doing this, they can prove to a court that they make a profit from previously retired sets, with a monetary value attached to it so that when the next court case against a Lepin-like company comes up, LEGO can prove that they do re-release sets and attach a monetary value to the damages caused when the Lepin-like companies make fakes of retired sets.
    In a similar vein, if you get a parking ticket for overstaying the limit in a free car park (in the UK), you can get the ticket overturned. This is (in part) because the car park hasn't suffered any financial loss. PM me if anyone needs help doing this!
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    Yeah, just PM Brainslugged, he'll come round with his van and take care of it

He'll sound a little different than these geezers though. After all he is from the grim north.
    Brainslugged
    CCC said:
    I was more thinking of ”letting” as in when other brands produce it for you, the quality control/risk taking costs etc would be the other brands responsibility/headache but you still get part of the revenue. A legal deal. Dont know the english word for it.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,305
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, just PM Brainslugged. He'll sound a little different than these geezers though. After all he is from the grim north.
    How dare you! I happen to currently be in the grim north. I'm not from here. My wife is though. I can't understand a bloody word she says.
    The secret to a long and happy marriage ;-)

panchox1M1J0EmsandersmaaaaaaaSilverLoveBaby_YodaAyliffe
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,341
    How dare you! I happen to currently be in the grim north. I'm not from here. My wife is though. I can't understand a bloody word she says.
    The secret to a long and happy marriage ;-)

As long as she let's me have sex with her every now and again, we're good.
    scottdd2maaaaaaa
    edited December 2019
    CCC said:
    I was more thinking of ”letting” as in when other brands produce it for you, the quality control/risk taking costs etc would be the other brands responsibility/headache but you still get part of the revenue. A legal deal. Dont know the english word for it.
    I cannot see that happening. LEGO want LEGO items to be up to LEGO standards. If they allow another company to sell lower quality versions of their sets, then they are asking for trouble.

Plus it would mean giving permission to another company to produce LEGO (C) elements. Nothing good would come of that.

stluxAstrobricksBrickchapgmonkey76Charmiefcb
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    ^ sounds like the licensing deals of yesteryear, like with Samsonite.  They’ve been there, done that.  I can’t see it being part of their future strategy.
    Astrobricks
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    Intrigued by January 8: LEGO Creator Exclusive Newsstand Building Event listed on January calendar. Sign ups start on January 6 and there is limited space available. Not sure where this little build would fit on my city blocks or how exclusive the build is. 
    stluxKungFuKennygmonkey76M1J0E
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 469
    I like that mini-build. I might have to go, but Wednesday? Kind of tough for most adults. I’ve only been to weekend build events and always during the first hour of the event. 

During the week, is it usually possible to do the build in the evening? Will they still have the tables set up?
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 287
    That build looks cool. RE exclusive builds that go with modulars, I wondering whether that 1950s car that won the Lego Ideas competition will be released alongside the Bookstore as a 'free' gift?
    wardm
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,510
    Brickchap said:
    That build looks cool. RE exclusive builds that go with modulars, I wondering whether that 1950s car that won the Lego Ideas competition will be released alongside the Bookstore as a 'free' gift?
    I can't imagine they will be able to turn that around to a product until summer at the earliest. Last year the space rocket ride won a similar contest around this time and showed up in June or July iirc
    gmonkey76stluxSumoLegoLyichirsid3windrKungFuKenny
    @Bumblepants Well thats triggering. Youd think theyd try & release them around the same time since its mean tto be for a modular. And I didnt think the albersteen deluxe would be overally difficult to release as a set. 
    SumoLego
    ^ you wouldn’t think so, but it does take a bit of time to turn over a set, even one smaller than an ideas one.  It still would have to go through the design process to ensure a quality set, even for a GWP.  It’d still have to go through marketing to print up instructions & a box.  It’d still have to go through a globe of certifications & regulations.  They might be able to turn it around fairly quick, but I can’t see how it could turn around quickly enough to be ready for the bookstore release in a little over a week.  That’d be a difficult timeframe even if the sets were shipping out the factory door now.
    stluxLyichirKungFuKenny
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    Can someone point me in the direction of the 2021 mod Prediction thread?
    SumoLego
  • LittleLoriLittleLori CanadaMember Posts: 154
    If anyone goes to the newsstand build, please post pics and instructions. The nearest LEGO store to me is a 14 hour drive so needless to say, I will not be going.
    KungFuKennyflord
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 472
    If anyone goes to the newsstand build, please post pics and instructions. The nearest LEGO store to me is a 14 hour drive so needless to say, I will not be going.

I'm in your boat. hoping I can wrangle a family member in another city grab one for me.
    LittleLori
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,574
    M1J0E said:
    SumoLego said:
    M1J0E said:

Yay.
    Those things are some of the worst offenders.  Once the blind bag surprise is over, they’re quickly forgotten about.  I admit I don’t get the blind bag fad, to include CMF’s, but at least buying CMF’s you’re getting something.  Not garbage packed in a wrapper soon to be garbage.  
    My grandson was hooked on blind bag surprise videos on you tube for a while. Luckily the Savers down the street had bags full of them for minimal cash, so I bought them used and put the toys in plastic Easter eggs, or back in the original containers for things like Shopkins. When he lost interest they went back to Savers. 
    M1J0EAstrobricksLittleLori
    ^ Good idea, thanks!  I’m surprised how well the ‘new’ toy phenomenon works.  We had a football toy box worth of Duplo hanging around.  Daughter separated it all back into sets & reboxed them with scotch tape over the original seals.  Suddenly they’re all ‘new’ toys again!  Sparking renewed interest & ready to open.  Nothing new bought, though we’ve done Goodwill to buy ‘new’ toys as well.  Nice!
    KungFuKennyLittleLoriSilverLovedatsunrobbie
    Regarding Australia:
    Does anyone know when the Lego stores (bricks and mortar at Robina and/or Dreamworld) will be getting the Bookstore?

The online AU store has it in stock, but id rather buy it in person and raid the [email protected] wall.
  • SnizzlebuttsSnizzlebutts MelbourneMember Posts: 57
    Bushfires are holding up the deliveries in Melbourne apparently. Not sure if that affects Brisbane at all.
    @Snizzlebutts Thanks for replying. Yes the bushfires are terrible. Is Brissy the distribution point for the Robina and Dreamworld stores?
  • SnizzlebuttsSnizzlebutts MelbourneMember Posts: 57
    Not sure. I just saw a video on Facebook by a  Melbourne Lego store owner that people would have to wait for the new products because it wasn’t safe for transport to bring it down. So it must come from Sydney via truck. 
  • herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 67
    FYI my Bookshop came with a couple bags of spare light grey 1x1 bricks (about 25 in total). I didn't realize what they were for until I was almost done building--the ones in the numbered bags were miscolored (too light) and didn't match the other light grey pieces.
    AstrobricksBrainsluggedomniumshikadiLittleLoriMynatt
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,145
    Just just copy/paste this one up until December 1 or so, and leave out any mentions of book stores.
    Police Station!
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76davetheoxygenman
    FYI my Bookshop came with a couple bags of spare light grey 1x1 bricks (about 25 in total). I didn't realize what they were for until I was almost done building--the ones in the numbered bags were miscolored (too light) and didn't match the other light grey pieces.
    I assume this means TLG are aware of an error in the first shipments, at least from the Mexico plant. Anyone else get extra bricks with theirs? How about if you bought it in a Lego store?
  • DadsAFOL2DadsAFOL2 CA, USAMember Posts: 14
    I assume this means TLG are aware of an error in the first shipments, at least from the Mexico plant. Anyone else get extra bricks with theirs? How about if you bought it in a Lego store?
    Yeah, i got them too.  I actually noticed the double seal tapes when opening the box so I was looking for something unusual.

Wonder how many listings on BL we'll see for "Very Light Bluish Gray" 1x1s.  https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&colorPart=99 
    M1J0E said:
    Well, that’s 10,000 Canadian dollars, so, like $15 US? 😉
    klinton560HeliportM1J0EKungFuKenny