Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2020 Modular Rumors

Comments

• SnizzlebuttsSnizzlebutts MelbourneMember Posts: 57
    I’m sure Lego feels expensive wherever you live. I would have paid $280 for the book store set. Looks like I’m paying $250. Not really worth complaining about either way.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,487
    disney train was probably not selling that well to get a 30% discount.
    Brickchap
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 639
    ^ That's what I wondered too as I was surprised such a new set went on such a discount so early in its lifespan.  Somebody suggested it was because they were trying to change the sticker sheet for it, so selling off old stock.  
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/comment/639878#Comment_639878
    I guess?  Maybe?  Seems plausible for an explanation, but that's a pretty drastic discount if they didn't have to, just to send sticker sheets out.  
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2019
    stlux said:
    @Brickchap AUD 500 converts to EUR 308, which is lower than the EUR 330 RRP in Europe. The GBP 300 RRP in the UK currently actually converts to EUR 356.

Looking at Downtown Diner and Assembly Square, the Australian RRP for those is actually around the German RRP, which is the cheapest in Europe. Most other European countries pay more for those sets.
    That's because the Australian dollar has dropped significantly since then. Modulars are usually okay, but at the time there was still some extra amount we were paying that tax and currency conversion couldn't account for. Now, conversion does account for that, but I doubt Lego have been pricing the last decade's worth of sets in anticipation for the current state of the Australian economy. And it's not like the average layperson has magically acquired more currency from the AUD dropping - $400 is still $400 to me, at least. The only difference now is that our conversion rates are so bad, it's no longer cheaper to purchase items from overseas, either.
    Brickchap
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 472
    M1J0E said:
    ^ That's what I wondered too as I was surprised such a new set went on such a discount so early in its lifespan.  Somebody suggested it was because they were trying to change the sticker sheet for it, so selling off old stock.  
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/comment/639878#Comment_639878
    I guess?  Maybe?  Seems plausible for an explanation, but that's a pretty drastic discount if they didn't have to, just to send sticker sheets out.  

Does anyone know what was wrong with the sticker sheet? any pics?
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,341
    panchox1 said:
    Does anyone know what was wrong with the sticker sheet? any pics?
    I purchased mine over BF weekend and built it, but didn't notice any issues with the stickers.
    panchox1
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 459
    The stickers don't actually match what is on the locomotive.  OKBrickworks made some customs that do.
    daewoo said:
    The stickers don't actually match what is on the locomotive.  OKBrickworks made some customs that do.

from doing a bit of image searching, best I can tell is that itlooks like stickers 2 and five, which go on the tender, are supposed to line up but are printed kinda wonky.

^ I thought that at first when building it, but the stickers all have a border round them. So number two sticker only has half of an R on it, which matches the other half of the R on 5.

Selling the set for cheap because the sticker has a fault is nonsense. The exact same number of sets would get into customers' hands with faulty stickers whether they are sold at full price, half price or double price. My money is on Lego just discounting a set that wasn't selling as well as expected. Same reason why Bespin was 30% off and the UCS Imperial star Destroyer had double points and the two SW micro builds free. 
    SMCpanchox1M1J0Elegomaniacjklintongmonkey76Mynatt
  • SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 83
    Ok so I thought the wait for the reveal was nerv wrecking... and now i cant stand that there are that many days before the release!!! Already prepared the place itll go into, theres a gaping hole in my row of modulars, also planing on which minifigures (eg CMFs) that will go infront of the set.

Ooooh and after 1st of January, there will be a 10th of January....
    CymbelineBrickchap
  • legomaniacjlegomaniacj Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 9
    Ok so I thought the wait for the reveal was nerv wrecking... and now i cant stand that there are that many days before the release!!! Already prepared the place itll go into, theres a gaping hole in my row of modulars, also planing on which minifigures (eg CMFs) that will go infront of the set.

Ooooh and after 1st of January, there will be a 10th of January....
    10th of January? What happens then? 

^ I thought that at first when building it, but the stickers all have a border round them. So number two sticker only has half of an R on it, which matches the other half of the R on 5.

That's good to know! I thought that may be the case but when looking at pictures of the sheet, that was the only thing that looked like it may cause an issue. Glad it's not. thanks for the pic.
    10th of January? What happens then? 

I will have had the set for 9 days?! :-)

My second big LEGO wish for 2020 - the two new chinese new years sets will become available in Sweden. Which is big for me since there wasnt any ”must haves” for me this year except one of the peoples pack (the not-space one).
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,305
    panchox1 said:
    daewoo said:

from doing a bit of image searching, best I can tell is that itlooks like stickers 2 and five, which go on the tender, are supposed to line up but are printed kinda wonky.

They sure look wonky in this image; like the bottom two stickers shouldn’t have any ‘R’ on them, or the top two should only have the left half.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,908
    ^ part of the R is left on the sticker sheet when you use the sticker.
    AstrobricksSnizzlebuttsBaby_YodaJern92
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,998
    Yeah, it is the bleed region. They have to be some of the worst stickers around though, as if they are not aligned perfectly they look awful. They should have designed the sticker to break between words instead. Even though they are annoying, a sticker over multiple parts would have been better here.
  • FabulandloverFabulandlover SomewhereMember Posts: 11
    I saw on bouwsteentjes.info that there are two more Creator Expert sets expected next year. It would be really nice if one of those two was "From the Vault" and that Green Grocer is reissued.....
    SilverLovePapaBearBrickchapM1J0E

The stickers are perfect. The three images above are screenshots from Jang's timelapse build. You can see a bit more clearly where the edge of each actual sticker is.

I'm always amazed at how well cut Lego's stickers are. I still have flashbacks to my Panini Return of the Jedi sticker album from 1983. Sometimes you would need to use multiple stickers to make a larger 3 sticker by 2 sticker image. The stickers were so badly printed that you had to choose whether to line the images up perfectly, but end up with white gaps between some of the stickers, or just line the physical stickers up but have jarring fault lines where the image didn't line up.
    stluxsid3windrWeepy_DonutsCymbelineM1J0Eandhe
    The Jedi sticker album in question (courtesy of ebay).

stluxgmonkey76PapaBearPyrobugsid3windrWeepy_DonutsM1J0EGothamConstructionCoandhe
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 446
    Gotta love stickers.  Who doesn't love stickers?  They are the best.  I would dream about stickers if I wasn't already dreaming about LEGO.
    BumblepantsSilverLovegmonkey76560HeliportKungFuKennyBaby_Yoda
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 866
    I saw on bouwsteentjes.info that there are two more Creator Expert sets expected next year. It would be really nice if one of those two was "From the Vault" and that Green Grocer is reissued.....
    Would it? The Green Grocer is pretty dated by this point as far as its design is concerned (not as much so as the Café Corner, but still far shy of the standards set by more recent buildings). I'm also not 100% sure whether "out of the vault" sets will continue to even be a thing, considering there was no such rerelease this year.

Also, two more Creator Expert sets is... not that many. If that's for the whole year, then one is probably the Winter Village set while the other is likely either a fairground set (if that series isn't done for good) or a large System vehicle set.

gmonkey76sid3windrBrickchapM1J0E
    PapaBear said:
    Gotta love stickers.  Who doesn't love stickers?  They are the best.  I would dream about stickers if I wasn't already dreaming about LEGO.
    Happy dreams or nightmares? ;-)
    Perhaps delegate the nightmarish ones to the wallet... although I do sometimes get stressed thinking of all (the space i would need if i bought all) the lego i would like to get.

When I was younger I several times dreamt i won some competition where the prize was to take as many toys as one could during a set time and everything one could get to the check out counter before time was up one could keep. I always went for the Lego, so imagine my stress levels and disappointment when i woke up...

Also those first moments before one is really awake - sometime during the dream i did realise it was a dream, then holding on to favourite sets even harder in the dream, and the confusion not understanding why ones hands are empty...
    M1J0E
    Lyichir said:
    Would it? The Green Grocer is pretty dated by this point as far as its design is concerned (not as much so as the Café Corner, but still far shy of the standards set by more recent buildings). I'm also not 100% sure whether "out of the vault" sets will continue to even be a thing, considering there was no such rerelease this year.

Also, two more Creator Expert sets is... not that many. If that's for the whole year, then one is probably the Winter Village set while the other is likely either a fairground set (if that series isn't done for good) or a large System vehicle set.

The sets that have been previously re-released, where there any updates to their designs or have they all been re-released as is?
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2019
    @SilverLove The 2017 re-release of Taj Mahal was identical to the 2008 version, apart from a brick separator that was added.

For the Vestas there were some more changes, but nothing really "material". Huw made a list when he reviewed the set. This includes updated torsos and bringing the Vestas Vestas logo in line with the current company logo. The biggest change is the mast now being mounted more secure to the base.

As we didn't get any "from the vault" set this year, it's a valid question whether maybe this line is finished. The team might feel that those were the 2 sets most in demand which required the least rework.
    KungFuKennySilverLove
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 866
    Lyichir said:

The sets that have been previously re-released, where there any updates to their designs or have they all been re-released as is?
    There weren't many updates to their designs. But for the most part, they didn't really need any. There hadn't really been any sets that were comparable in both subject matter and scale to those two in the intervening years, so there was nothing out there for them to be compared directly against.

A modular is a different story. There's a new modular building every year and they've gradually upped the level of detail and playability over the past decade. The Green Grocer's building techniques are fairly basic by modern standards, as is the level of detail compared to ones that have debuted after the advent of newer small detail elements. If there's one area where the Green Grocer tends to exceed newer modulars, it's its exterior size—and that's as much reason to avoid rereleasing it since that also makes it fit less well directly adjacent to the other currently available modular.

Brainsluggedgmonkey76M1J0E
    edited December 2019
    It also depends what you meant by "out of the vault". The UCS MF had loads of changes to the original one. Is it a new set, or a reimagining of the old, or a re-release of the old? It isn't really totally new, as it is similar in size and scale to the old, and it isn't a re-release as it is substantially different. So to me, it is a re-imagining of the old, with up-to-date style. If they redo the greengrocer, I'd hope they would do something similar to that - do a new greengrocer with up-to-date building methods and style. What is the point of doing an old one when they can do a more modern version? Redoing an old one exactly implies that the old one cannot be bettered, and I think it can.

SilverLovestluxTheBigLegoskiSnizzlebuttsBaby_YodaBrainsluggedgmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,145

Jabba's Guards look like extras from a Mad Max movie.  No wonder the barge exploded and the heroes escaped with the princess.

Why is that guy wearing a deflated tire around his neck?
    Brainsluggedgmonkey76J0rgenGothamConstructionCodavetheoxygenmanGlacierfalls265
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 268
    So no appreciation for the Jabba sartorial aesthetic, SumoLego?
    SumoLego560Heliportdavetheoxygenman
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 599
    edited December 2019
    @Brainslugged Thank you for the trip down memory lane. My mother used to bring me back a couple of packs of those stickers every Saturday morning with a little box of Bananaman sweet cigarettes. Totally forgot about that ever happening until you posted those pics.

I also remember collecting the stickers for Gremlins, Dune, The Real Ghostbusters, Transformers, Action Force and MASK. Happy days!
    BrainsluggedAddicted2Oxygengmonkey76GothamConstructionCo
    ^ seconded on the childhood memories, thanks, I’d totally forgotten about these really!
  • JMasterJMaster USAMember Posts: 14
    JMaster said:
    My wish is a Bookstore or Library. I'm a sucker for bookshelf builds!
    I'm a prophet.
    SnizzlebuttsBaby_YodaSumoLegoPyrobugdavetheoxygenmanbrickventuresMynatt
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 936
    The force is strong in this @JMaster ... along with the 8000 others who have been hoping for a library/bookstore since 2014.  😊
    AstrobricksCymbelineim2cre8ivBaby_YodaSumoLegoPyrobugstarwars4everMynatt
    @Lyichir That makes sense and I agree that the modular are similar to each other in comparison with the wind turbine, the taj, the emerald... @CCC I didnt realise there were that many distinctions. Wow!

There will always be people that are late to the party, and perhaps more people should work on their ”completionist tendencies” (with that i mean become less so, not work on it to become even more). The green grocer is nice and still fit in aestethically with the other modular so if it would be relased again with no/few/much modification, it would still work and people that had not (re)discovered Lego 2008 have a chance at it: a chance at a grocery store. The reason i say this, is because it feels like everytime someone that wasnt around collecting Lego in 2008 wishes for a modular grocery store in a lego forum, the standard reply tends to be ”They already did that! Theres no need to do one again”  - with, what it seems, not just expressing that oneself have other facilities one rather wants if one already owns the green grocer, but also no understanding for others wanting a grocery store. If the set at least wasnt ridiculously priced on the secondary (?) market, it would be fine to just encourage people to by one that way. It being such a big set also makes it very pricey for people to bricklink - even in more common colours.

The good thing with GG being so ”not standing out-ish” is that Lego could relase another grocery store, perhaps looking different enough that people already having GG would still want to buy it (with its more modern building techniques and pieces) or if fans decide there is only need/room for one grocery store they could jump the new  one. There should still be enough customers buying a new modular grocery for it to be profitable for Lego to make such a set.

Overall I cant understand those that so fiercly complained about regional releases being unfair, showing so little understanding for others wishing a new grocer (or a re-relase of GG).
    Because there is a difference replying on someones wish with ”They already did that, they should do something else” and ”Personally i would rather...”.
    560HeliportTheBigLegoskiJ0rgenBrickchap

The good thing with GG being so ”not standing out-ish” is that Lego could relase another grocery store, perhaps looking different enough that people already having GG would still want to buy it (with its more modern building techniques and pieces) or if fans decide there is only need/room for one grocery store they could jump the new  one. There should still be enough customers buying a new modular grocery for it to be profitable for Lego to make such a set.

The decision LEGO needs to make is not whether another grocer will be popular enough to make a profit, but whether the profit of doint another one will be larger than the profit if they do something completely new.

The GG is a house, next to / above a fairly plain shop. The new bookstore is also a house next to a fairly plain shop. Remove the book sign, stick some boxes of fruit inside and out, and you are not far off having a new GG.

Baby_YodaSumoLegogmonkey76SilverLovesid3windr
    SilverLove said:
    Overall I cant understand those that so fiercly complained about regional releases being unfair, showing so little understanding for others wishing a new grocer (or a re-relase of GG).
    Because there is a difference replying on someones wish with ”They already did that, they should do something else” and ”Personally i would rather...”.
    It's not a good idea for a regular Modular release to be replaced by a re-release. Another way to look at it is, if you wished Lego had already redone GG, which past Modular do you think should be erased from existence? What recent Modular is bad enough to justify being replaced by an old set that's already been done? If they were to, for instance, make the 2021 Modular a GG rerelease, it's the same thing - rather than producing a brand new design that could be popular among all segments of the market, they're releasing a product that... already exists. It's much easier to think you'd prefer GG over a new product than one you already have, but I can assure you the majority of consumers will prefer the new once they've seen it.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,593
    edited December 2019
    Baby_Yoda said:
    It's not a good idea for a regular Modular release to be replaced by a re-release.
    Or replacing a winter village building with a re-release. 😜
    oldtodd33CymbelineSumoLego560HeliportKungFuKennywardm
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    I cannot speak for SilverLove (or anyone else for that matter), but I took his comment to be part of a discussion here on extra re-releases aside from (in addition to) regular product design, development and release. The same way that in my understanding the re-release of that Taj Mahal set, was an 'extra'. Even though I personally have no idea why TLG decided to re-release that particular set, next to the fact that the Taj Mahal has never really appealed to me that much, and so I never gave it much attention, or the reason for its re-release. Same goes for that electricity generator windmill set.

I would love it if TLG were to decide to re-release the Green Grocer Modular set. There are several older sets I do not have (Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Town Hall, and Market Street), and of all the ones I do not have from the earlier years I think I like the Green Grocer the most (followed by GE, TH and FB) (OK the exterior of CC also looks pretty awesome) (actually the facade of MS canal house looks great too).
    Maybe I have not taken a close look at it (from pictures, and video's with that set placed amidst all the other buildings) but does it really look that horribly dated compared to the latest modulars?!? If so, a re-release with a few minor tweaks and updates is fine too, suppose some parts are no longer available.
    Just had another look at it here on BS. Does still look like a very desirable set to me! Sure some things could have been designed differently, and arguably better, but it is a nice set nonetheless.
    panchox1BrickchapBaby_YodaSilverLove
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 459
    Baby_Yoda said:
    SilverLove said:
    It's not a good idea for a regular Modular release to be replaced by a re-release. Another way to look at it is, if you wished Lego had already redone GG, which past Modular do you think should be erased from existence? What recent Modular is bad enough to justify being replaced by an old set that's already been done? If they were to, for instance, make the 2021 Modular a GG rerelease, it's the same thing - rather than producing a brand new design that could be popular among all segments of the market, they're releasing a product that... already exists. It's much easier to think you'd prefer GG over a new product than one you already have, but I can assure you the majority of consumers will prefer the new once they've seen it.
    So I guess all those different fire stations and police stations and constructions sites shouldn't have been produced over the years?  SilverLove is on point and wasn't talking about replacing the yearly modular with a rerelease of an older set.  There are many people who would buy the rereleases, whether they are sold as the original design or tweaked to use current elements.  Whether Lego chooses to do this is up to them, but I believe that they would sell a good number of them.
    panchox1BrickchapBaby_YodaSilverLove
    daewoo said:
    So I guess all those different fire stations and police stations and constructions sites shouldn't have been produced over the years? 
    I think the difference here is the target audience. Kids like police and so it makes sense to keep redoing fire and police stations. Sure there have been ones done in the past but if there is not one, any one, available at the time then chances are the kid will not be bought a LEGO one and will get a clone branded one or some other toy instead.

daewoo said:
    SilverLove is on point and wasn't talking about replacing the yearly modular with a rerelease of an older set.  There are many people who would buy the rereleases, whether they are sold as the original design or tweaked to use current elements.  Whether Lego chooses to do this is up to them, but I believe that they would sell a good number of them.

If they did keep bringing back retired ones, then why not just keep it in stock forever? Why retire any of them - just leave them as D2C sets and allow people to buy them whenever they like. I imagine there is a problem with supply/storage and lower sales volumes. Plus a problem with primary sales, in the sense of why bother buying in the first few years, if it will be available in perpetuity or will be re-relesed in five years, as then it can always be bought next year, or the year after.
    stluxgmonkey76Baby_YodaSumoLegosid3windr
    Even though I personally have no idea why TLG decided to re-release that particular set, next to the fact that the Taj Mahal has never really appealed to me that much, and so I never gave it much attention, or the reason for its re-release. Same goes for that electricity generator windmill set.

I think part of it was possibly for legal reasons. If they show that they can still profit from old designs, then it means that they can show loss of future income if another company "steals" the design of old, retired sets. The same thing with the wooden minifigure. If they don't sell wooden ones, then they have no loss if other people sell such items and they can lose the right to try to stop others from making them if LEGO does not make them. Now they do make them, other people are infringing LEGO's wooden products if they make similar items.
    Baby_YodaM1J0ETheBigLegoskiSumoLego
    I should clarify - I didn't mean to reply to SilverLove's entire post, only the bolded statements. That is, I was explaining a perspective that they stated they had difficulty understanding. I still don't think GG needs a re-release, regardless of timing, but that's really just my opinion. I'm not going to care if it happens. Hell, I'll probably buy it anyway.

I've often heard that a book is never complete; the author just decided to stop editing. I think this is true for Lego sets, too. Sure, GG might be fantastic, but I believe that Lego could improve significantly on it if they want to. I don't know how they would go about it, but I doubt they would release the set as-is, and I doubt most consumers would prefer the original model to an updated version.

daewoo said:
    There are many people who would buy the rereleases, whether they are sold as the original design or tweaked to use current elements.  Whether Lego chooses to do this is up to them, but I believe that they would sell a good number of them.
    Lego have to dedicate certain resources to re-release GG. I simply believe that if they instead spent those resources on any other new product/s, they would see more profit. If they tweak the original design, it attracts those who have Green Grocer already, those who thought the original was flawed, and those who will only purchase sets with a certain standard of quality. If the set is re-released brick-for-brick, all of those potential buyers are lost.
    ^^ @CCC thanks for that, I honestly never thought about some rereleases, or the wooden minifig, as having business needs to protect intellectual property, or give a better basis to account for any damages owing from infringements.  
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,145
    CCC said:
    ... If they did keep bringing back retired ones, then why not just keep it in stock forever? Why retire any of them - just leave them as D2C sets and allow people to buy them whenever they like. I imagine there is a problem with supply/storage and lower sales volumes...
    LEGO keeps their reserve inventory tightly controlled, and very, very low.  Additionally, they have efficiency limitations for their production schedules.  The idea here is to produce as many sets for sale within six months.  (And remember, stock that goes to retailers is 'sold' from a production standpoint, as is stock that is 'sold' the retail LEGO Stores and to [email protected])  

The change-over loss time for those machines makes low-production, high piece count sets less profitable.  

I always look at it this way - the machines can only run for so many hours per day, and have only so many times can be adjusted to make different parts, and LEGO is looking to put on the market those sets that get off the shelves the fastest before the next run.
    M1J0ESilverLoveBaby_Yoda
    Baby_Yoda said:
    SilverLove said:
    It's not a good idea for a regular Modular release to be replaced by a re-release.
    Why would it have to REPLACE anything else? Cant it just be relased as a surprise, perhaps with the other summer releases?

And i dont buy arguments like ”people cant afford buying to many sets, additional releases would make people buy fewer of the originally planned relases...blah blah”

Once in a while Lego does seem to surprise us with a set that havnt been showed to the public long beforehand. For example when we know there will be X relases in january, but there are only prices listed and photos of X-Y sets. And sometimes people see photos of sets they want, then once the sets are available people rethink and decide to save the money for other sets instead.

Oh, i dont know if i manage to get my point across, so difficult in text and in english without writing it as an essayto ensure little room for misunderstanding :-)
    Baby_Yoda
    I cannot speak for SilverLove (or anyone else for that matter), but I took his comment to be part of a discussion here on extra re-releases aside from (in addition to) regular product design, development and release. The same way that in my understanding the re-release of that Taj Mahal set, was an 'extra'. Even though I personally have no idea why TLG decided to re-release that particular set, next to the fact that the Taj Mahal has never really appealed to me that much, and so I never gave it much attention, or the reason for its re-release. Same goes for that electricity generator windmill set.

I would love it if TLG were to decide to re-release the Green Grocer Modular set. There are several older sets I do not have (Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Town Hall, and Market Street), and of all the ones I do not have from the earlier years I think I like the Green Grocer the most (followed by GE, TH and FB) (OK the exterior of CC also looks pretty awesome) (actually the facade of MS canal house looks great too).
    Maybe I have not taken a close look at it (from pictures, and video's with that set placed amidst all the other buildings) but does it really look that horribly dated compared to the latest modulars?!? If so, a re-release with a few minor tweaks and updates is fine too, suppose some parts are no longer available.
    Just had another look at it here on BS. Does still look like a very desirable set to me! Sure some things could have been designed differently, and arguably better, but it is a nice set nonetheless.
    I does seem like you can speak for me. Thank you for understanding what I meant but perhaps didnt manage to get across.

I dont think green grocer would look so out of date as is, while a few tweaks would still take less than designing an entirely new set.

I just want somewhere my Lego folks can buy food for a nice home cooked meal (no dining out). And i can only talk from my perspective (as someone with zero MOCing skills):
    I just wish for a grocery (not demanding it, just wishing). I dont care if its a rerelease/updated green grocer or an entirely new set. Almost everytime I wish for a grocery I get replies that TLG already done it, as if its that easily obtained (well it is, if one has more money and no other obligations).

Like @CCC said, perhaps the book shop could easily be replaced with a grocery. Which is a good idea, except i now want a book shop too 😜 Although i think that the floor plan is less suited for a grocery store.

If TLG are okay with making new carousels and new millenium falcons, im sure they can make a new grocery store. (And im not even comparing to fire/police stations, because i get the targeted group there - new kids coming of age, kids alsways loving firetrucks and police cars).
    BrickchapTheBigLegoski
    CCC said:

If they did keep bringing back retired ones, then why not just keep it in stock forever? Why retire any of them - just leave them as D2C sets and allow people to buy them whenever they like. I imagine there is a problem with supply/storage and lower sales volumes. Plus a problem with primary sales, in the sense of why bother buying in the first few years, if it will be available in perpetuity or will be re-relesed in five years, as then it can always be bought next year, or the year after.
    Of course they cant keep all sets in stock forever. Storage in warehouses cost money too. But if people wouldnt know in before hand if it will return or not? Wouldnt most people that could afford it, buy it at first chance around?
    Just like Millenium Falcon buyers - new people coming of age, newborn completionists, wouldnt Lego benefit from them buying the green grocer (or any grocery)? 
    Also when one considers copyright infringement - just my empirical data, not statistically supported - although many wish for a fire brigade, town hall etc, green grocer seems to be the one most people want, and i think there is a market for it, why else would there be counterfiet green grocers by other brick brands?

There are a few things i dont get (and perhaps its because i dont have all facts like those working at TLG, but then how many of us on the forums do? Most of us just speculate away...).

There is a demand for these, im sure TLG would benefit finanicially from them but still dont reproduce them (and they dont communicate why - ok, they dont have to, but wouldnt it be nice for a brand to do so with their fans?):
    1) Green grocer.
    2) Goats.
    3) The regional release of 80101 and 80102 chinese new year sets.

and since im completely off topic anyway. I know we talk a lot about kids being more important target group than AFOLs perhaps want to admit, buy i think AFOLs with kids are more likely to buy Lego for their kids than other parents. If a kid equally want a My Little Pony and a Lego Minecraft set, i think the AFOLs kid more likely will end up with the latter. What Ive seen in Lego stores: AFOL buying for self, then always buying something for its acompanying kid. Perhaps that kid rather wanted a Barbie or whatever-is-in-season toy, but so far I never heard anyone saying ”Mommy/Daddy is just going to pay for this, then we will go to XXX and buy that YYY that you want”.
    Impulsive buy or buying out of guilt...still a profit for Lego :)
    edited December 2019
    Back on topic. I wont be doing this since Ive no MOCing skills and also wont buy two sets (I know Lego can be whatever you want it to be: you can put 4 corner builds together and  make it its own block = grand emporium. Or two corner builds and mirror one part to just get a bigger facade. That they state already in the designer video that one can buy two sets, were they anticipating complaints about the height or was it intended to be higher? That would be sad, for an artist only being able to make it half of what was intended).

Anyway, Ive been thinking if one would add a floor to the town house, wouldnt it be nice for each floor to have bay windows with its own awning on top of each window? Or would that look weird? So each floor would have to be taller than the original design. Still just one door (bottom left) but three bay windows: one on ground floor and two windows on second floor (bay windows straigh above door and window respectively). That way, the house number would still be right above the door.
    (Photo showing cut off, where the ground floor would end).
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,804
    First floor bay windows are usually directly above the ground floor ones, so yes I think it would look strange
    SilverLove said:
    Why would it have to REPLACE anything else? Cant it just be relased as a surprise, perhaps with the other summer releases?
    See my prior post.
    Although - Lego only have so many resources to dedicate to the production of sets. So yes, it will need to replace something in their line-up, most likely a set of similar scale, as @SumoLego explained.
    SilverLove said:
    Oh, i dont know if i manage to get my point across, so difficult in text and in english without writing it as an essayto ensure little room for misunderstanding :-)
    Yeah, I get that. Sometimes you have to pick between 'wall of text' and 'incomplete argument'.
    SilverLove said:
    I just want somewhere my Lego folks can buy food for a nice home cooked meal (no dining out). And i can only talk from my perspective (as someone with zero MOCing skills):
    I just wish for a grocery (not demanding it, just wishing). I dont care if its a rerelease/updated green grocer or an entirely new set. Almost everytime I wish for a grocery I get replies that TLG already done it, as if its that easily obtained (well it is, if one has more money and no other obligations).
    I think it's likely that Lego would release an entirely new set for a Grocer, maybe as a part of a larger whole, like the laundry in Brick Bank or the businesses in Detective's Office. But now we're getting into 2021 speculation territory... fingers crossed!
    TheBigLegoskiSilverLove