Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2020 Modular Rumors

Comments

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,188
    M1J0E said:
    Well, that’s 10,000 Canadian dollars, so, like $15 US? 😉
    Rude much? You're rounding it down just a bit, eh? I'll have you know that as of the market closing last day it's 15.73$, thank you very much.
    Astrobricks560HeliportSnizzlebuttsM1J0EMynatt
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,344
    DadsAFOL2 said:
    Yeah, i got them too.  I actually noticed the double seal tapes when opening the box so I was looking for something unusual.
    Like a chrome-gold C-3PO?
    KungFuKenny
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 423
    Here's my pictures of the news stand. Not sure where to put it, so why not here. The thing that looks like sand blue 1x6s are actually dark grey. 
    msandersmaniacSnizzlebuttsLittleLoriTkattevantylersklamb
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,249
    I popped along to the Stratford Store after work and was able to grab a Newsstand nice and easily from the helpful staff. /thumbsup

I just need to buy the Bookstore now!
    M1J0EKungFuKennyLittleLori
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 287
    @JudgeChuck how does one get a newsstand?
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,249
    There was a small AFOL event last night at the LEGO Stores in the UK, where you could turn up and get one. I believe they did a similar event in the US a couple of days ago as well.
    Unfortunately, mine was missing the minifig! :-((((
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 640
    ^ I like that way of arranging it!  Thanks for sharing
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,310
    edited January 15
    ^^ I still like it, but am I the only one who thinks the townhouse is over-scaled compared to the other buildings? At least the main level anyway. It looks like it’s maybe 25% too tall, though I’m sure that impression comes partly from the “basement” level under it.

Also, in the row of buildings, I think it might look better if it was maybe 4 studs more recessed from the street.
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 552
    edited January 15
    ^^ I still like it, but am I the only one who thinks the townhouse is over-scaled compared to the other buildings? At least the main level anyway. It looks like it’s maybe 25% too tall, though I’m sure that impression comes partly from the “basement” level under it.
    to test your statement for scale with the other townhouse in the line up, a comparison:

Guess it’s the ornamental awning etc that give the impression, because the floor itself is only exactly 1 brick higher!

can’t really disagree though!
    Astrobricksgmonkey76omniumCCCthenosMooreFXLittleLorisid3windr
    Wow, you’re right about the awning etc. Thanks for lining them up like that for us :)
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 702
    I’d like to see the townhouse next to the brick bank, cause that one has a taller first floor as well... anyone who’d like to try that out and share it? Thanks! 
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,619
    I saw the set in the bricks in the LEGO store for the first time yesterday. I like it even more now, but due to space I'd have to take a building out. Currently have PC, DO, AS & BB in a line down my street, something will have to go to fit the BS in. But what?
    wardm
  • ccjwprongsccjwprongs UKMember Posts: 92
    panchox1gmonkey76wardmMooreFXbrickventures
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 532
    edited January 16
    I think the bookshop part itself would look great next to BB, but the residential module does not.
    M1J0EBrickchapSumoLegoSnizzlebutts
    jnscoelho said:
    I think the bookshop part itself would look great next to BB, but the residential module does not.
    True, but it was about comparing the heights of the ground floor.
    M1J0E
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 640
    ^ when I first read the idea, I thought it’d work out better maybe than the pic shows.  Not bad, but they probably do line up better with the bookshop part & BB.  
    @ccjwprongs Very sorry to bother you but I would very much appreciate to see the Bookstore ( just the bookstore not the whole modular) next to the left side of Parisian restaurant. 
    Some people may even wish to see the residential building next on the right side of PR.

I know lots of people have been thinking of putting the bookstore next to PR so hopefully this request will benefit lots of people as well as myself.

wardm
    Regarding BS and BB (neither of which are BS hahaha) while there are modulars that look worse next to BB, I dont think either building would work.

The rounded 1x4 windows (forget the name, they're green on BB and white on BS) would be too similar. I know that sounds very picky but some modulars such as DO and brick bank (laundromat side) look very very good together but also retain difference between the two. The residential house definitely looks just plonked in between (which can look alright if the two neighbours were modern skyscrapers since that occurs a lot in cities).
    The three architectural styles clash and, unlike DO and BB, they look like three separate MOCs put together because the owner had nowhere else to put them.
    Apologies for the large gap at the end of my first comment, did we find a resolution for that issue yet?
    jnscoelho said:
    True, but it was about comparing the heights of the ground floor.
    Yeah, I know, but I just had to comment on the picture itself. :)
    Brickchap said:
    Regarding BS and BB (neither of which are BS hahaha) while there are modulars that look worse next to BB, I dont think either building would work.

The rounded 1x4 windows (forget the name, they're green on BB and white on BS) would be too similar. I know that sounds very picky but some modulars such as DO and brick bank (laundromat side) look very very good together but also retain difference between the two. The residential house definitely looks just plonked in between (which can look alright if the two neighbours were modern skyscrapers since that occurs a lot in cities).
    The three architectural styles clash and, unlike DO and BB, they look like three separate MOCs put together because the owner had nowhere else to put them.
    Actually, the windows on the bookstore part itself are similar to those on BB, even if the ones on the latter are a bit bigger. I'd really like to see them side by side because from the picture above they do seem to go well together, even in the contrasting coloring.
    The residential part of BS, on the other hand, looks terrible next to BB. I'd like to see this part next to the homologous one from PS, for example. Or even all the residentials together, GG, PS, BS, etc.
    Brickchap said:
    @ccjwprongs Very sorry to bother you but I would very much appreciate to see the Bookstore ( just the bookstore not the whole modular) next to the left side of Parisian restaurant. 
    Some people may even wish to see the residential building next on the right side of PR.

I know lots of people have been thinking of putting the bookstore next to PR so hopefully this request will benefit lots of people as well as myself.

When I get back home, I’ll take some pics for you!
    Brickchap

There you go. Any more requests? Have all modulars build since GE.
    stluxjnscoelhoAstrobricksBrickchapKungFuKennytomahawkerSnizzlebuttsLittleLoriOnebricktoomany
    Can you put just the bookstore part next to BB, please?
    edited January 17
    btw, I think it looks pretty good next to PR.
    Maybe BB-Bookstore-PR?

Edit: nevermind, BB is a corner building and it won't match. It's either PR or BB next to the Bookstore.
    Brickchap
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 600
    jnscoelho said:
    btw, I think it looks pretty good next to PR.
    Maybe BB-Bookstore-PR?

Edit: nevermind, BB is a corner building and it won't match. It's either PR or BB next to the Bookstore.
    One crude photoshop of the above picture later…

ccjwprongsM1J0EKungFuKennytomahawkerLittleLorisid3windr
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,344
    edited January 17
    I thought I'd see if I could mess about with pics of the buildings to see how they look next to each other, but my image manipulation skills quickly failed me. I did do this though as I feel like the townhouse would look good as a pair. Likewise with the town house with the Pet Shop.

The more I look at the town house part of it though, the more that central span of teal bugs me as it seems to make the bottom floor so high, and the upper floor so small. 

Edit - Maybe these would look nice in a row, but switching out the colours so they were all the same physical design, but just slightly differing colour schemes as if the residents had repainted throughout the years.
    mustang69amokAstrobricksCymbeline
    I love the idea of a whole street of townhouses of similar style lined up, but with subtle tweaks like paint, railings, stoops, trees, etc. 
    panchox1BrickchapM1J0Egmonkey76
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 156
    I have the Bookshop with its accompanying teal townhouse, the Parisian Restaurant, and the Corner Garage. I like the image of the Bookshop next to the Restaurant but then where do I put the townhouse? On the left side of the Bookshop instead of the right? The Corner Garage has to be on the right hand end the way the corner is unless I turn it so the corner is on the left and put it on the other side of the Bookshop with the townhouse down to the right of the Restaurant?

The image shows as they are now. It will be a while until I get any more modulars and besides the space I have is only a couple of inches bigger than those modulars I already have displayed. Opinions?

KungFuKenny
    @eMJeeNL Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Bookstore looks great next to PR because it doesnt stick out too much (i.e the outside eating area in PR looks more normal since having a chained side up against a building thats too far forward looks weird.
    I also think a quaint bookshop works next to a Parisian building (despite the fact its Dutch next to Parisian architecture but I think it doesnt look too bad)

Personally I think the townhouse looks better on the left side of birch books (except for the tree. I reckon one could possibly put the townhouse on the right side of PR, I personally wouldnt do that since I always think that outdoor eating area balcony should be looking over a park or at least on a street corner. 

^I also think Birch books doesnt look too bad next to Brick Bank either. Again, I personally wouldnt place it like that but it could certainly work in other people's cities.
    Argh those random spaces in comments are killing me...
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,804

This makes them look like over-sized beach huts...
    Brickchapsid3windr
    Paperballpark said: This makes them look like over-sized beach huts...

I think what Brainslugged said about painting them and changing them slightly like residents would do over the years would work very well though.

Okay, moved them around so the Bookshop is between the Corner Garage and the Restaurant and the Townhouse is on the right hand end. Not great but I think maybe a lot better. The tree at the Bookshop doesn't stick out so much like a sore thumb with the dark big garage building behind it and the eating area at the right side of the restaurant is more visible, less squooshed with the smaller townhouse there. Better?

panchox1Switchfoot55wardmBrikingSumoLegoomniumM1J0ELegoPegasister2015
    edited January 18
    Brickchap said:
    Argh those random spaces in comments are killing me...
    Don’t worry about it :) Nothing anyone can do apparently.
    By the way, not to make things worse, but when you used ‘@‘ above, an extra “ ” got appended, at least when I view it. So I wonder if the person actually got the notification.
  • SnizzlebuttsSnizzlebutts MelbourneMember Posts: 57
    Book shop looks perfect against the PR. Now where to put the townhouse. It doesn’t seem to fit anywhere quite right.
    BrainsluggedSumoLego
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 469
    What about CG on the left, PR in the middle and then BS on the right as it was designed (shop on left, townhouse on right)? Basically, how does the shop itself look next to the stair side of PR?
  • SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 83
    If putting two or more ”teal townhouses” next to each other without changing up the colours, i like it better that they are identical rather than mirror builds.

On another note, Ive now built CG. As i suspected, it was a very fun and exciting build. What i didnt expect though was how much i would like the building design once it was built! I really like it now, (despite the few minor gaps that often are mentioned in posts about the CG.)
    M1J0E
  • gmayesgmayes Jackson Heights, NYMember Posts: 3
    Okay, moved them around so the Bookshop is between the Corner Garage and the Restaurant and the Townhouse is on the right hand end. Not great but I think maybe a lot better. The tree at the Bookshop doesn't stick out so much like a sore thumb with the dark big garage building behind it and the eating area at the right side of the restaurant is more visible, less squooshed with the smaller townhouse there. Better?

I like this because in real life you wouldn't have a townhouse between two mixed use buildings. This looks like the end of a long block where it transitions from commercial overlay to pure residential.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/zoning/districts-tools/c1-c2-overlays.page
    M1J0Eguachi
    Thanks @gmayes ... It certainly looked better to me. If I could afford it I'd have more townhouses. I remember whole streets of them in Brooklyn and Queens with some interesting differences in what the residents have done to them over the years.
    CymbelineM1J0ESumoLego
    Bookshop and PR look great together. I think Bookshop and PR would look best with a green 16x32 plate on the right of PR, as a little park. Not sure what to put next to Bookshop. I dont think a garage though. A 1950s oily garage, then a quaint bookshop and an up-market French restaurant? Non, non et non! 

The townhouse is a bit of an odd one out. Perhaps it would work on the left side of Detectives Office? I think that would look good, plus they both fit the style of a pre-war  'American neighbourhood.'
    LittleLori
    I just thought as an add on to that idea, the townhouse between the BB laundromat and DO. That could work, maybe. IDK.
    Brickchap said:
    Bookshop and PR look great together. I think Bookshop and PR would look best with a green 16x32 plate on the right of PR, as a little park. Not sure what to put next to Bookshop. I dont think a garage though. A 1950s oily garage, then a quaint bookshop and an up-market French restaurant? Non, non et non! 

The townhouse is a bit of an odd one out. Perhaps it would work on the left side of Detectives Office? I think that would look good, plus they both fit the style of a pre-war  'American neighbourhood.'

If I had a DO ... I would love one but definitely not in the budget! I could put a small park [green plate] between PR and the townhouse with a tree or such to relieve the plain side of the townhouse... hmm, thinking cap is on. The bench that is in front of the right part of the PR could go in the park ... maybe some flowers and/or children playing.
    panchox1BrickchapLittleLori
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 866

I found it works well sandwiching the townhouse from PS. Let me know if you want to see other combos, I have all the modulars from 2010 onwards, excluding TH.
    How does the townhouse look on the left (lower) side of the Detective's Office? Would love to see a pic with the physical sets